Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th December 2008, 10:05   #136
BHPian

Guys it would be nice if you can post other informative tips instead of analyzing bblost's post about braking distances. bblost has already clarified that he might be off the mark.
watashi75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 10:20   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Guys it would be nice if you can post other informative tips instead of analyzing bblost's post about braking distances. bblost has already clarified that he might be off the mark.
Thanks.

I have quite decent reflexes.
But I do take a little more distance to bring my vehicle to a halt than most others.

Having been rearended has such an effect, I guess.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 10:39   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have quite decent reflexes.
But I do take a little more distance to bring my vehicle to a halt than most others.
All Hyderabadis have above average reflexes, including our dogs.

Being fast has one advantage in that one is likely to be front-ended rather than rear-ended. I have always been rear-ended when my speed was between 0-5 kmph.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:09   #139
BHPian

Ok. Here is one article I found about steering position for fast turns.
-----
Good steering technique is crucial for smooth driving, as it prevents any sudden lateral weight transfers and thus allow the corner to be taken at a higher speed.
Hand position

When driving on a stretch of straight or gently curving tarmac, the default hand position is quarter to three (Figure 1). When taking tighter corners it will be necessary to adjust hand position accordingly.

Figure 1: Default steering position
Name:  steering_normal.gif
Views: 385
Size:  7.5 KB
For a tight right hand hairpin, a suggested hand position is shown in Figure 2. This will allow the lock to be applied and taken off without either taking hands off the wheel or adjusting the hand position until after the corner has completed. If your car has a large number of turns from lock to lock, you may need to start with your right hand further anti-clockwise.

Figure 2: Hand positions for a tight right hand corner
Name:  steering_right_hander_1.gif
Views: 2085
Size:  7.5 KBName:  steering_right_hander_2.gif
Views: 357
Size:  9.1 KB
Steering movements

When steering round a corner, ideal steering movement is progressive, smooth and controlled. Applying and taking off steering lock should be done in a fluid movement, without taking either hand off the wheel where possible. 'Pushing and pulling' the wheel may be fine for general road driving, but this does not allow the smooth motions needed when driving on the limit.

Try not to let the steering wheel slide through your fingers when letting off steering lock, and then adjust your hand position accordingly for the next corner or straight.

In some situations when you need to take the lock off very quickly you may find it easier to let the wheel slide through your fingers slightly, but do not let this motion get out of control. An example could be when letting off the steering lock after a dramatic oversteer correction.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:23   #140
BHPian

This is what I got from that test! I guess my reflexes are phaasst!!
Attached Thumbnails
Essential Guide: To driving fast!-brake.jpg  

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 17th December 2008 at 11:26.
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 11:31   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
This is what I got from that test! I guess my reflexes are phaasst!!
Shrey, I am sure you know that clicking a mouse on a computer screen is nothing compared to realizing danger and hitting the brakes in a real life scenario. More over in this example you are only concentrating on the light turning red, where as in a real car your concentration will distributed amongst other vehicles on road.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 11:34   #142
Senior - BHPian

Shrey that might make you really good at NFS
iceman91 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 11:52   #143
BHPian

After driving around for about 18 years now, my speeds have only steadily gone down over the years with experience.

I have often seen cars whizzing past me very fast and then after some time/hours, I come across them again on the same road, either parked on the side or going slowly later.

Going faster definitely demands a higher alert state of mind and after driving in high speed mode for a long distance will definitely put a strain on the sensory abilities and fatigue will take over sooner it becomes difficult to keep up with the same higher speed.

The key to driving efficiently is to maintain good average speeds consistently over a long distance , rather than sudden outbursts of speed for shorter durations.

Most of the time is lost when one has to break the speed to overtake and then wait for our vehicle to regain the speed.

Suppose we see a vehicle slowing down much ahead of us, rather then driving fast and reaching up to the vehicle and then breaking abruptly and hit on the accelerator hard to overtake and then gaining speed (therby losing time), its better to slow down gradually from far plan and maintain minimum possible cruising speed and reach up to the vehicle and then overtake comfortably because you have not lost much of your momentum this way.

Maintain a comfortable speed whenever possible (better less than 100 KMPH especially in India). Feel at home, Drive relaxed, drive consistently, cover more distance.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 12:01   #144
BHPian

Hi Vikram!

I just opened that link and tried my hands on it! I agree with you 100%, this applet cannot simulate a real time scenario!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Shrey, I am sure you know that clicking a mouse on a computer screen is nothing compared to realizing danger and hitting the brakes in a real life scenario. More over in this example you are only concentrating on the light turning red, where as in a real car your concentration will distributed amongst other vehicles on road.

Honestly, I was good at NFS but its been long I switched to GT4 and now GT 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
Shrey that might make you really good at NFS
Im just happy to see that my reflexe's are good! I am still young!

Cheers
Shrey
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 12:03   #145
BHPian

@ssjr0498
So how many times did you try the test before you got these results mate?Been up all night practising is it?
Just kidding ,thats a very fast reflex time.But as vikram said,real life scenarios would be different for sure with all other variables and our own emotions blazing through our minds.I guess the more times you have crashed previously the better it is for you in real life.Thats why I haven't crashed/touched others(cars, I mean) for several years now.Did enough of that in my early years of driving.
maverick030581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 12:55   #146
BHPian

@ssjr
PS-Just noticed that although you set the speed to 140 kph you probably did not hit Enter after that.Hence your velocity is still showing as 20 m/s which is for the original speed of 72 kph.So the braking stats shown from your snapshot are for 72 kph and not 140 kph
Still faster than my stats for 72 kph though
maverick030581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 15:34   #147
BHPian

Buddy, did it in one shot, first tried with 120! then I put in 140, but maybe your right I might have missed hitting enter, did not realise!

Anyway, here you go! this time its 140kph! lets see if you can beat this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
@ssjr0498
So how many times did you try the test before you got these results mate?Been up all night practising is it?
Just kidding ,thats a very fast reflex time.But as vikram said,real life scenarios would be different for sure with all other variables and our own emotions blazing through our minds.I guess the more times you have crashed previously the better it is for you in real life.Thats why I haven't crashed/touched others(cars, I mean) for several years now.Did enough of that in my early years of driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
@ssjr
PS-Just noticed that although you set the speed to 140 kph you probably did not hit Enter after that.Hence your velocity is still showing as 20 m/s which is for the original speed of 72 kph.So the braking stats shown from your snapshot are for 72 kph and not 140 kph
Still faster than my stats for 72 kph though
Attached Thumbnails
Essential Guide: To driving fast!-brake-2.jpg  

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 17th December 2008 at 15:49.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 15:45   #148
BHPian

I think we need to change the subject of this thread.
Old 17th December 2008, 15:49   #149

Gentlemen,
First, extremely grateful to Mclaren for starting this thread. You have no idea how much and how many people this information helps.

I live and work in Dubai. I drive 125 kms daily, 95% highway ( 6 lanes, some places, 3 lanes) and 5 % city driving. I was about 18 months back based in Mumbai and used to drive my YamRx regularly, Omni, Indica occassionaly and Innova long distance. You can imagine the road culture shock I went through when I started driving in DXB. Of course, out here there is a lane culture that is maintained and you just cannot cut into lanes like we do atleast in Mumbai. Also speeds are between 100 to 130 kmph. You have to consistently drive at 110 -- 120 kmph on the highway in the fast lanes. There are the 3 slow lanes but you then need to negotiate slower moving traffic and you tend to get entangled with huge massive trailers who cannot see you. You cannot see far ahead due to the huge trailer in front and progress is very slow.Not that all trailers are slow some of them move at an average speed of 80 to 100 kmph.

I have been driving for close to 4 months now and generally learning from experience. I have not had any accident as yet and plan to maintain my clean record as a member of this forum.

In the fast lanes, you do get hassled by faster drivers who start flashing from a great distance and if you delay in moving out of their way will stick to your rear and keep flashing. At a speed of 120kmph, trust me your nerves are on edge if you cannot change lanes due to traffic already present on that lane. It is best to avoid these instances. I have also realised that you need a reasonably fast car atleast 2 liter and above as smaller engined cars do not have the requisite acceleration. I drive my own Honda Accord 2009, 2.4L and a MitsuLancer 1.6L . Both automatics. On a few occassions I have felt that the acceleration of the Accord lacking being flashed by 4X4s, sportcars, BMW coupes etc. and ofcourse some idiots in smaller cars driving dangerously.

I really miss a manual gearbox but out here most cars are autos and manuals have no resale. You have to be very attentive and think ahead all the time and when you are at the wheel for an hour at a stretch it gets very difficult.
Keep up the good work and I hope to be a better driver reading and practising what yuou guys preach.
Cheers, GTX
gtxmdpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 04:26   #150
BHPian

@ watashi- informative post, have noticed many top GT drivers using this positioning, never paid extremely close attention though, now it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post

Anyway, here you go! this time its 140kph! lets see if you can beat this!

Sorry for turning this into a scenario akin to an online gaming challenge, where people want to outdo each other and think that reflexes can be gauged by a online tool.

Here u go, guess one can't to any lower than this when it comes to reaction time. Its while braking from 120kmph.

Essential Guide: To driving fast!-reaction3.jpg

@ssjr- your score of 0.01s (0.43m) is from 120kmph, not 140kmph since your speed is shown as 33.33m/s (which is 120kmph).

Simple fact of the matter is, no one can get such a low reaction time on the first go. I can bet my life on it. Once you start trying multiple times, you are able to gauge the time when the red light comes on, after the car takes off. That time/distance is constant. Hence after repeated tries it is possible to get a low time simply because one becomes accustomed to the stimulus. I got this time after 9 continuous tries. Conditions in the real world will be way different as one cannot predict whats gonna happen next at all. It all happens in a flash.

This is my last post on the topic. Just wanted to clarify the fact that members reading this thread (especially newbies) shouldn't be fooled into thinking they have reflexes of a F1 driver based on a mere java applet.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote