Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th December 2008, 10:56   #151
BHPian

For the benefit of newcomers there is already a very nice manual on extreme driving in TBHP -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...e-driving.html

I have attached the manual so that people need not spend time searching again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The_Manual_On_Extreme_Driving.pdf (1.92 MB, 362 views)
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 11:32   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
More over in this example you are only concentrating on the light turning red, where as in a real car your concentration will distributed amongst other vehicles on road.
Spot on Vikram!
Here, your mind is already prepared. So the reaction time is nowhere near to what it would be in the real world.

On a side note: I LOVE NFS4
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 12:18   #153
BHPian

@ doomsday: Bro! Guess you did not read this before advicing! The next post was supposed to be taken light heartedly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Hi Vikram!
I just opened that link and tried my hands on it! I agree with you 100%, this applet cannot simulate a real time scenario!
Cheers
Shrey
Anyway, I would like to ask! what makes you say that in a real time scenario I will not respond the way I did on this game.

The actual thing is, maybe I will but maybe the situations might not be ideal for me and the car to perform the way it did over here and so I would need to consider the real time scenarios also!

[\quote] @doomsday
This is my last post on the topic. Just wanted to clarify the fact that members reading this thread (especially newbies) shouldn't be fooled into thinking they have reflexes of a F1 driver based on a mere java applet.[/quote]

Just one question, what makes you say that non F1 drivers like you and me would not have sharp reflexes as a F1 driver?

In a test (dont ask me for the link) which Jeremy Clarkson conducted, it was concluded that he and M Schumacher had the same reaction time!!

I think what you mean to say is that, normal ppl like you and me might not be able to "react to some situations" faster than a F1 driver. It has got nothing to do with reflexes! Reflexes are natural and no amount of training can better ur relflexes.

The only thing that can be done by training is to prepare a person to "respond/react to specific situations in a correct or desired way". Ideally calling it "Responding to a stimulus" Cuz you are trained to know what should you be expecting and how to react when you are in that situations!

If that were the case, then IMO, rally drivers should have much better relexes than any F1 driver, cuz they have to change/adapt and react differently probably a 100 times more than what a track driver would. As the terrain keeps changing!

Lastly, I would Like to say, I guess each one of us takes such articles with a pinch of salt, like someone has said before in a real time scenario until and unless you have undergone some sort of training, all this theory does not come of help. I guess all of us understand that!

Cheers
Shrey

PS: okay here goes, check this link !

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 18th December 2008 at 12:26. Reason: added the link
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 16:15   #154
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Just one question, what makes you say that non F1 drivers like you and me would not have sharp reflexes as a F1 driver?
That my friend would just be a mans EGO talking. There is a reason why MS in in F1 (and still ocassionally does spin out) and you and me are here, reading upon how to drive fast . Don't take it personally, but any of us who think we might have it in us without actually proving it on track, drags, rallies etc are just kidding ourselves. That includes me too.

Quote:
In a test (dont ask me for the link) which Jeremy Clarkson conducted, it was concluded that he and M Schumacher had the same reaction time!!
NEVER take JC seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1
The key to driving efficiently is to maintain good average speeds consistently over a long distance , rather than sudden outbursts of speed for shorter durations.

Most of the time is lost when one has to break the speed to overtake and then wait for our vehicle to regain the speed.

Suppose we see a vehicle slowing down much ahead of us, rather then driving fast and reaching up to the vehicle and then breaking abruptly and hit on the accelerator hard to overtake and then gaining speed (therby losing time), its better to slow down gradually from far plan and maintain minimum possible cruising speed and reach up to the vehicle and then overtake comfortably because you have not lost much of your momentum this way.
Completely agree. This is the key to highway driving. Specially at night.

@watashi: Thats a nice pictorial representation. Appreciate the positive feeback from all the members, keep it going guys.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 17:18   #155
BHPian

track and road totaly different. track you need planning . my plannning is to drive minmum 15-20 (yes its a lot of effort) rounds around the track and find the easy corners and tough corners, easy corners i dont break in too hard just gearex is enough to take it easy. the tough corners i do gearex and a breaking but thumb rule is the trick is to come out fast out of the corner. depends from corner to corner. and yes RACING LINE is a sure shot method to be on time.!!( yes even in long sta=raight sections because at the end its always a corner and getting into right race line will be a chore so play it safe and never leave race line unless you want to overtake. and yes dont ever ever try to overtake through corners its down right suicicde!! over take just out of the corner! the one in front is bound to fall a gear short while coming out !! if he doesnt take the corner properly! that is your chance to take him out provided you came out of the corner with more higher speed hehe) going into a corner too fast is a no no. though you can break and come out clean you will loose too much time accelerating back.

in the road i back off in the corners letting others overtake me
once i get a straight line i dont bother about the speed limit and yes have never felt the need to engage 5th gear!! in kerala roads.
4th gear pulls till 160kmph but sad thing is in kerala other than a couple of roads, you never get the chance to speed above 160kmph!! so in the rush to accelerate like crazy i dont bother engaging fifth gear! lolz
yes my car has got body roll which can be felt by the co-passengers so i take it real easy in the corners. and just accelerate and speed like crazy in straight lines. lolz

still fast driving is not a good idea. i have had four major crashes except for one which was high speed crash 140kmph into a tractor!!! ( hey my dad was driving ok!! ) others were at low speeds. We are still in one piece. lolz
latest one took palce around 3weeks ago. now i am safe no more driving for a month thanks to the Doc . lolz
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 18:03   #156

Default First post from a newbie

Guys,
Hellos to everyone.Newbie on this great forum but an oldie on the road.Dont know if this the right way for my first post.
I have been following this site since the last 3 few years.So much that its a daily ritual for me and my son.I have been enjoying reading the posts of a few people but havent go to know any of them personally.Some unfortunately are no more ,some are banned ,some have probably reduced their posts...
I have had my share of cars ...cars which have been way too fast for the Indian roads.But till date I havent had a single accident in any of my cars.Yeah,I drive myself.
I have been following the meet threads as well .I am shocked to see people boast about stock cars doing 200.I happened to see a video of one member doing high speeds and following another car,where he narrowly misses a jaywalker while trying to overtake from the left.
If this is what you are proud of ,I am sorry,i dont think I am.
The reason I am posting here ,is that I feel this thread is something where people are taking it personally.I think this is the reason this thread was started.
Its a shock to see some cars being driven so rashly with families in the other cars. I am too old than most of you to get into arguments ,but all I can say is that speeding isnt a crime,but one should behave sensibly.
I have been reading this forum regularly.I can see that there are members who talk about RACING on public roads and take great pride in that inspite of having a bad experience.
i can tell you of one incident where one driver in a mid-size segment car overtakes my simple car at about 140 kph on a National Highway.I am sure like most other indian cars his car was being driven at its limit when my car was just doing some 3000 rpm.This car overtook me from the left and went zig zag cutting across traffic .This guy then slows down and waits for me to go ahead and does the same overtaking thing again and in the process almost hits a small car ahead of me .My wife tells me to ignore this KID.All i do is just tap my acclerator and overtake this guy who now starts driving more dangerously.I flag him to stop,open his door and give him one tight slap!!
I find Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Home sticker on his car.It was at this time that I decided to finally register on this great forum and post on this thread.
Lets not spoil the name because of discussions like the present thread.

You have one life.enjoy it ...but not at others expense.
Mods...please delete my post if this is not in accordance with the rules.
BTW,it feels great to be posting for the first time.
slowdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 18:12   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

@Slowdriver ji - Interesting. You mention overtaking an imbecile and slapping him. Given that imbecile overtook you doing 140 - that doesn't speak much for what you were doing given you had your wife with you (beyond 140, whether zig zag or straightline - is unsafe any which way). Interesting no? Atleast beseeches one to drop the saintly tone. Cheers

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th December 2008 at 18:20. Reason: Splitting to two threads
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 18:16   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
i have had four major crashes except for one which was high speed crash 140kmph into a tractor!!! ( hey my dad was driving ok!! ) others were at low speeds. We are still in one piece. lolz
latest one took palce around 3weeks ago. now i am safe no more driving for a month thanks to the Doc . lolz
Good that you have come out safer and hopefully more stronger. Post your experiences in "Street experiences" section. Each and every incident posted there will teach all a lesson
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 18:32   #159

Sir,
Thanks for your concern.
If you read carefully,I have mentioned that I overtook this guy when he was slowing down.
I didnt zig zag ,as if i do that ,then the other vehicles in my convoy will have to do that as well!!
We stick to the left lane on a 4 lane highway and to the middle lane .
I am not trying to paint a saintly image.
I am sorry if i insulted any fast drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@Slowdriver ji - Interesting. You mention overtaking an imbecile and slapping him. Given that imbecile overtook you doing 140 - that doesn't speak much for what you were doing given you had your wife with you (beyond 140, whether zig zag or straightline - is unsafe any which way). Interesting no? Atleast beseeches one to drop the saintly tone. Cheers
slowdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 00:09   #160
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdriver View Post
I think this is the reason this thread was started.
You seem to have gotten the intention of me starting this thread all wrong.

Quote:
I flag him to stop,open his door and give him one tight slap!!
I find Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Home sticker on his car.It was at this time that I decided to finally register on this great forum and post on this thread.
Did you find out who this member is? It could help us all to stay away from him/her you know .

Probably, we should also have a thread on which BHPians to stay away from on the roads . Just kidding.

PS: Slowdriverji, btw which city are you from?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 19th December 2008 at 00:15.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 01:03   #161
BANNED

OT: Why does everybody sound like a INC MLA / MP - ji?

Last edited by hrag : 19th December 2008 at 01:06.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 07:35   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
OT: Why does everybody sound like a INC MLA / MP - ji?
To avoid the Slap!!!!!!! Ha ha..

Mclaren Rahul, hear me! Dont drive fast! BTW, you really cant verify what slowdriver says so cool it.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 08:23   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

By the way, driving a simulated game-type thing, or a java applet and thinking you'd be just as good in F1, is the same as chatting up a woman on a chat site and thinking you'd make a great husband in a real marriage.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 09:14   #164
BHPian

what an analogy hehe . good one.

by the way i am good at the track and road but dont know why my bro beats me hands down in NFS no matter what.
whereas on the road he prefers a driver - me ofcourse :clap)

Last edited by sameel : 19th December 2008 at 09:17.
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 12:56   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i can tell you of one incident where one driver in a mid-size segment car overtakes my simple car at about 140 kph on a National Highway.I am sure like most other indian cars his car was being driven at its limit when my car was just doing some 3000 rpm.This car overtook me from the left and went zig zag cutting across traffic .This guy then slows down and waits for me to go ahead and does the same overtaking thing again and in the process almost hits a small car ahead of me .My wife tells me to ignore this KID.All i do is just tap my acclerator and overtake this guy who now starts driving more dangerously.I flag him to stop,open his door and give him one tight slap!!
Same thing happened to me on NH4 during a Blore-Hubli journey. Some guys in a Fiesta D(LOL) was fooling around on the road trying to race any vehicle he could find. He first tried it on me, but after realising that i was not gonna respond, he took after a Volvo and started blocking his way.

This happened for almost 30-40 kms till we reached Hubli where he took the bypass route.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote