Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th December 2008, 13:05   #166
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Mclaren Rahul, hear me! Dont drive fast!
Vikram, I hardly ever drive (let alone driving fast) these days, prefer being the cameraman . My daily ride is a Honda Dio. And I hate my swift so much that I never cross 120 kmph on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
By the way, driving a simulated game-type thing, or a java applet and thinking you'd be just as good in F1, is the same as chatting up a woman on a chat site and thinking you'd make a great husband in a real marriage.
thats a brilliant anology Sam. Next on cards, should be a thread by you "On how to be a great husband" on the lines of "How to post in proper English".
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 15:47   #167
BHPian

No offense to anyone .Rahul has been put across some excellent points, For newbie drivers please keep these points in mind when driving fast and for people who dont enjoy driving fast i have nothing to say . Being the lover of motorsports i understand what Rahul is saying with things like good suspension and tyres .
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:33   #168
BHPian

I think there is a sea of difference between driving fast and rash driving. Driving fast involves a lot of resposibility to the road. We respect the road very much. Driving fast involves pleasure but with a lot of responsibilty but driving rash is zero responsibility and to prove a point to somebody else.

We are talking abouts some kids perceiving Driving rash to be driving fast. Driving fast and Driving Rash: Please read through the Least risk path method as mentioned in the beginning of the thread by Mclaren. This could be the primary difference.
kbalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 11:29   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
And I hate my swift so much that I never cross 120 kmph on it.
Can you please throw some light on the above statement?
Surprise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 11:51   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
In case you do not have a car equipped with ABS, kindly remember this rule. Never panic and lock your tires. Always keep in mind to release the brakes and see if you can steer the car to safety or learn to brake well in advance.
If one has pressed the brakes hard to end up in locking of wheels, will removing the foot from the brake pedal for a moment will release the locked wheel?

Is there any easy way to identify the locking of wheels?

Let us assume a situation where I take a right corner at around 100-110 kmph on a curve, in the process I realize the speeds are bit high for that particular corner. While I softly press the brake pedal, the vehilce move toward the right out of my lane.

Which is the best way to handle this situation?
Old 31st December 2008, 12:19   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
If one has pressed the brakes hard to end up in locking of wheels, will removing the foot from the brake pedal for a moment will release the locked wheel?

Very Easy. Your car will still be moving with your tyres screeching, which simply means that your brakes have stopped the tyres from rotating but your car will still be moving. You have to be at considerable speed to achieve this

At high speeds when you suddenly find obstruction in the road you tend to lock your brakes and the car starts moving in a direction based on the position you have locked your front wheels in. Now that could be dangerous. so you can choose to release the brakes and steer to a position to avoid sudden danger.

I am not sure if I have expressed it the right way. I think Mclaren1885 could do the magic right.

Quote:
Let us assume a situation where I take a right corner at around 100-110 kmph on a curve, in the process I realize the speeds are bit high for that particular corner. While I softly press the brake pedal, the vehilce move toward the right out of my lane.

When ever you want to maintain your speed, you need to brake ahead of the curve and actaully accelerate into the curve till you get out of it. Please go through the vehicle dynamics threads in how to use it to your advantage. This will help you in how you manage curves, speed breakers etc

To better answer your question, if I have taken a right curve too fast, I would brake till I reach the left end of the road (chicane types) and accelerate in the rest of the curve. Again this is not the only solution. This is based on my perception of how deep the curve is and what car you are on. All of this decision would have been made in fraction of time.

Well on the otherhand you could choose to drift, which is absolutely insane and I donot encourage it within the forum. (Never know I could think loud till date) A drift has to be planned ahead of the curve, atleast for me.
kbalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 17:01   #172
BHPian

Quote:

identify locked wheels:
clean surface and normal tyres: loud squeal
clean surface and high performance tyres: grrrr sound(sometimes), squeal (sometimes), dont know what makes the difference.
dust or dirt on road: grrrrr sound

all these sounds are accompanied by some sensations. You will always feel a tyre has locked up, its a typical feeling, just comes through the seat. (just go onto a wide open road with no traffic, and bang on your brakes, you needn't be very fast, 50-60 kmph is fine, you'll know the feeling)

If, your car has stopped responding to steering input, your fronts are locked.
Car is coming out from the rear, rears locked.
(the fronts lock up before the rears most of the time)

most tyres start to squeal before they have locked up. this is absolutely NORMAL and FINE. continue your braking.

only when you feel+hear it, your tyres have locked up.

Quote:

firstly, you are in BIG trouble, no sure-shot way of handling this.
Avoid this situation at all costs.

if you are going right, when you brake and lock up, the vehicle will move toward the outer lane and not towards the right as you mentioned.

how to avoid:

1. if its a wide road and you are in first lane, you can reduce steering input and b brake, kill speed while shifting lanes.

2. if its not wide, (most passenger cars understeer) just leave accelerator and and give more steering, you might make it through.

3. DRIFT, not advisable without practice and cant teach it here.
jalsa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 17:56   #173
Senior - BHPian

Locking of wheels is fine.

Will lifting the feet from the B-Pedal release the locked wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
if you are going right, when you brake and lock up, the vehicle will move toward the outer lane and not towards the right as you mentioned.
Stand corrected
Old 31st December 2008, 18:26   #174
BHPian

lifting will release the locked wheel.

But, dont lift completely, do it progressively till wheel is released.
Old 31st December 2008, 18:34   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Going faster definitely demands a higher alert state of mind and after driving in high speed mode for a long distance will definitely put a strain on the sensory abilities and fatigue will take over sooner it becomes difficult to keep up with the same higher speed.

The key to driving efficiently is to maintain good average speeds consistently over a long distance , rather than sudden outbursts of speed for shorter durations.
I have experienced this in long drives. But, I am tempted to go for short outbursts whenever there is a chance.
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 10:31   #176
BHPian

Sorry to be a party pooper, but what's the whole point of this thread?

If you want to drive fast, go to a track and take courses from an instructor.

And if you're trying to weave in and out of heavy traffic or do 120 in a 100 zone, you're going against the law.

There should be no guide to driving fast on public roads, it should be either for driving properly in traffic or on highways.

Or there could be a guide for driving under extreme weather conditions, like snow, rain etc.

I can't believe this kind of stuff is allowed on team-bhp, where even the mention of alcohol in the posts was recently banned by the admins.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 11:18   #177
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
what's the whole point of this thread?
Attempting to drive fast on public roads is a surefire recipe for disaster.

I had been trying to rein in one such person in our bike rides who believed that unless he rode fast he wasn't riding well. For almost a year and a half I kept reminding him that he was taking chances. He didn't listen. This September he smashed into another bike on the road killing two kids. He's learnt his lesson but at what cost !!!

Its a humble request to all budding Schumachers. Go to a track and explore your speed fantasies there. On public roads you must follow speed regulations and other traffic rules
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 11:19   #178
Senior - BHPian

As explained by different people a million times in this thread,

Driving fast not always = Driving dangerously.

Thank You and Good Night.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 11:31   #179
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
As explained by different people a million times in this thread,

Driving fast not always = Driving dangerously.
If this assertion is referring to public roads, with all due respect, am afraid many here then are making a grave mistake believing it.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 13:59   #180
BHPian

'fast' is a relative term.

So, i agree with both DKG and immortalz