Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st January 2009, 16:42   #181
Senior - BHPian

A real informative thread on the Do's & Dont's of fast driving.

My 2 cents on this...

Your responsibility to the fellow road users increases exponentially with each km you add over the legal limit. The thrill of the speed should not be at the expense of endangering others & offcourse yourself.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 14:16   #182
Team-BHP Support

Maruti Suzuki India Ltd: Maruti 800, Alto, Zen, Wagonr, Versa, Esteem, Baleno, Grand Vitara, Gypsy, finance, insurance, accessories, true value, fleet management solutions
Quote:
~ Stopping distance increases as the square of the speed. That is, if you double the speed, you need four times the distance to stop. If you triple the speed, you need nine times the stopping distance. In ideal conditions, a loaded Maruti car can stop within 16 metres from a speed of 50 kph. If you plan to stop, add only reaction time to this, so you actually need about 21 metres to stop. At 60 kph, this becomes 30 metres, at 70 kph, 39 metres, at 80 kph, 50 metres. To recognise an emergency takes more time, and increases stopping distance. The daytime figures are: 50 kph - 41 metres, 60 kph - 53 metres, 70 kph - 66 metres, 80 kph - 81 metres. At night, this gets worse: 50 kph - 51 metres, 60 kph - 65 metres, 70 kph - 81 metres, 80 kph - 98 metres. Rain or fog makes it worse. As a reference, the distance between two light poles is about 25 metres (highway). Mostly, conditions are not ideal (e.g. tyre inflation and road surface), and almost everybody assumes they can stop twice as fast as they actually can. Distractions like changing a cassette or talking can also slow a person.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 21:03   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Attempting to drive fast on public roads is a surefire recipe for disaster.

I had been trying to rein in one such person in our bike rides who believed that unless he rode fast he wasn't riding well. For almost a year and a half I kept reminding him that he was taking chances. He didn't listen. This September he smashed into another bike on the road killing two kids. He's learnt his lesson but at what cost !!!

Its a humble request to all budding Schumachers. Go to a track and explore your speed fantasies there. On public roads you must follow speed regulations and other traffic rules
Sirjee,
How many tracks are there in this country ? i guess 2 as far as i know and both in the south. I think everyone here does blip the throttle open and go well over the speed limits.

Rules are meant to be followed keeping the rather "hostile" conditions of the highways, anything can pop up at any time on the road.

But we do come across open stretches of good roads(pothole free, even surfaced) that we can "safely" push our cars/bikes further without risking other lives. The matter in this thread can be applied NOW so that its much SAFER to go near to the limits. Its not meant to be applied to be a brash, reckless driver and burst out on the ring roads. Its like I hand over a hammer, now someone uses it to hammer a nail in and the other uses to bludgeon someone to death. that really cannot be helped.

There should be a disclaimer though that is isnt meant for people who have speed thrills and just taken to driving.

I don't drive that fast(when i drive that is, I am still learning) , but I have a bike.. i go well over 90 and my usual cruising speed is 100. My bike is shod with grippy IRC tyres brakes are spot on. If i had the stock tyres, I could still do 120 kmph on the bike but braking at those speeds would result in slow retardation , or skidding. i couldn't use the brakes to the optimum level because the tyres gave way before that.

^ this point is just ONE example.

for bikes
A legal speed limit is 50 kmph (is it a limit even?) and well i'd be "bored" that I have to live at 50kmph on a relatively "better" 150cc bike that I have. I know my limit, i know my bike's limit and I know where I can rip the bike at 110+ safely ( I have not had one major crash in the 35,000kms i've done on the bike in an year and half) or i can stay at 40kmph.

well if people still think that you should NEVER ever cross the speed limits (even if its a deserted empty highway stretch) then .. Why buy a car that can go above 120kmph ? or put a speed limiter on your vehicle. or fit a M800 engine in a Indigo (for example) and luxuriously cruise away at 70kmph.

Ill enjoy driving my car on the udaipur highway when i reach home after a roadtrip across south to north on my bike, soon enough.
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:56   #184
BHPian

And extending to what XENo has said below. The people who actually drive fast (not Rash) are very sensible drivers. XENO would also cruise at 40 kms per hour when the situation requires.

Also as a characteristic, you would see these sensible drivers drive fast mostly in highways. I have also noticed that they would car for the car and everybody travelling on the road. Please and I repeat again, please dont think that junkie who wanted to show off and ripped in city streets are part of this thread. NO. Driving fast and that too safely is associated with a lot of satisfaction within while its driving rash to show off mostly.

It takes a lot of energy and concentration and passion to drive fast sensibly. For most it would come out of experience and sweet passion of driving.
kbalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:43   #185
BHPian

Default Still hoping to read some sense into this

Alright, I'm five pages into this thread and am still to read anything useful out here. I appreciate the effort taken by McLaren and the others to pen down their opinions but frankly, saying things like 'upgrade to 50K worth tyres' isn't really an option for most. I mean, getting a racing seat, racing tyres, racing harness, getting a new CPU or something like that is undoable.With all those, I assume even a donkey can improve his timings by 10%. In fact, to most of the drivers in the world and on this forum, suggesting these things is absolutely nonsensical and not very different from saying "Do you want to go fast? Why don't you buy a Mig21?".

I do not mean to launch a personal attack on anyone; I understand the expertise and appreciate the efforts of those who have taken their time to write their view but I would be happier if the thread lived up to its title. Currently, it seems more like "Essential guide to modifying your car so that it can go faster".

I read a top class article recently linked to by someone on this forum. It was by a rally driver who had given amazing tips on how to drive faster AND safer. E.g. using the 9-3 position and its advantages.

If you could please write about how stock drivers can make their stock cars with stock engines, stock seats, stock tyres and stock brains go faster, it would be appreciated. Look at it from this viewpoint - a man has a car... how can he drive it faster while not risking safety? Do not assume that he has enough money to get another car with ABS, airbags and the fancy crap. A man and a car...how can it be faster? You don't have a clue? Please don't waste our time then.

Other than that, I would appreciate it if the mods looked at the first few pages on this thread and the inane argument between two or three people. It doesn't add anything to the discussion and only wastes the reader's time.
great_guns is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 21:01   #186
BHPian

Quote:
If you could please write about how stock drivers WITH STOCK SKILLS can make their stock cars with stock engines, stock seats, stock tyres and stock brains go faster,
I think you should know there's a limit to everything. You can never push a car/bike to its limit without risking the safety factor. I think you just skipped the pages and posted. Its not about modding/ tuning a car to go faster either. It mostly directed at increasing the safety, reducing the risk with possible changes to a stock car. and its not insanely expensive either. The first page is pretty much informative if you didn't realise.

Better tyres will pose a less risk at higher speeds. OEM tyres are designed to last long so that most of the buyers find it cheap to maintain. Since majority of the buyers never drive fast enough this works out well. But what for the people who want to go faster with their stock cars ? this thread is for that.

Quote:
how can he drive it faster while not risking safety? Do not assume that he has enough money to get another car with ABS, airbags and the fancy crap. A man and a car...how can it be faster? You don't have a clue? Please don't waste our time then.
The first post does mention several points for the driver and the car for a stock car. It's also been mentioned how to brake properly

Quote:
"Essential guide to modifying your car so that it can go faster".
Where ? ? I didnt see a NOS kit or K&N fitting, nor modding the cylinder head ?

Also its Contradictory. you yourself want that. that's it.
this thread reads more like "how to be safer while driving fast so that you can minimise the risk of meeting an accident"

bottomline: the word FASTER & FAST are EXTREMELY RELATIVE. You can be a sedate driver at 50-60kmph and then even 90 would be faster for you. not to a guy who drives at 100kmph. and 120 may not be "fast" enough for you but it may be "Omigosh" to someone else !.

I think I know when I am/will be driving "fast" and I do not want to go faster but increase me own safety to be driving at "fast enough" speeds (to me).
Quote:
(Essential Guide: To driving fast!) Essential Guide: To driving fast!
btw the thread title reads fast and not faster. !

Quote:
Note to thread starter , could you please change the title to "How to be Safer while driving fast?" because majority who complain about this thread probably were looking for "go faster" tips rather than about driving fast.

Last edited by Xeno : 22nd January 2009 at 21:17. Reason: typo & some more typos
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 23:29   #187
BHPian

Xeno, my friend - points taken. I will not get involved in a one-on-one crapping session with you because it will waste everybody's time. If you found the thread informative, that is all well. I didn't and we should respect each other's opinions.

All I want to say is that reading the first page where you say there is enough information, I saw nothing new. I was expecting to find basic things to do with your car like optimal gear changes, optimal usage of clutch while changing gears, simple illustrations of the heel-and-toe technique to get out of a sticky situation (and not to get into a drag race), optimal way to make your steering inputs, changing lanes with least surprise, dealing with high-speed tyre bursts etc.

All I saw involved either upgrading something on the car or something which anyone who started driving yesterday knows. Maybe I missed a couple of points but if there is a thread rating system here, I'd rate that as a minimum 1 out of 5 for sheer irrelevance of content and a misleading thread title. Please understand that I'm dissatisfied with the post and not the person who posted this. Please dont flame me for being vocal.
great_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 17:14   #188
Senior - BHPian

Found an empty stretch this morning and this thread came to my mind to practice "locking of brakes" just wanna feel how it would be on a preferred situation instead on a highway.. I did took it to 80 KMPH and pressed the brakes sharply?, only for a quick slow down, but did not ended up locking my wheels.. tried in 100 still same result.. Oh even I struggle to stamp the brake with full force :(
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 19:22   #189
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I did took it to 80 KMPH and pressed the brakes sharply?, only for a quick slow down, but did not ended up locking my wheels.. tried in 100 still same result..
Which car do you have and do you have ABS?
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 19:35   #190
BHPian

Its not a surprise that it did not lock. I have emergency braked at 100kmph on the highway without locking the brakes. It depends on the road surface also. If there was gravel you might have seen some scary results.
equinox22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 21:25   #191
BHPian

What car and what tires do you have?
teknophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 22:02   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Which car do you have and do you have ABS?
Non-ABS version of Swift petrol with BS ER-60 (185/70/r14)
Old 21st July 2009, 15:56   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Found an empty stretch this morning and this thread came to my mind to practice "locking of brakes" just wanna feel how it would be on a preferred situation instead on a highway.. I did took it to 80 KMPH and pressed the brakes sharply
In straightline braking it would be hard to lock the tyres unless the road surface is wet or oily or has gravel on it. When you brake there is weight transfer to the front wheels which provides additional grip. Besides 185/70 tyres will also have sufficient grip on its own.

If you want to do controlled locking you can probably try with narrow tyres or near bald tyres and on wet roads.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 16:31   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
In straightline braking it would be hard to lock the tyres unless the road surface is wet or oily or has gravel on it. When you brake there is weight transfer to the front wheels which provides additional grip. Besides 185/70 tyres will also have sufficient grip on its own.
In such case, I will not seriously worry about wheel locking part

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
If you want to do controlled locking you can probably try with narrow tyres or near bald tyres and on wet roads.
Thanks yaar. Will definitely try when the situation is inviting
Old 21st July 2009, 20:21   #195
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Non-ABS version of Swift petrol with BS ER-60 (185/70/r14)
That's fairly decent sized rubber you have. Do not worry about not being able to lock up as the car is getting adequate grip from these tyres. Besides, being able to modulate pedal pressure with your right foot and not locking up is a good thing.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote