Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd December 2008, 23:49   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Post installation,
* The power seems to have increased at higher RPMs but in bumper to bumper city traffic the smoothness of the OHC was lost
* The exhaust note was too loud as well
1. If it's a custom job, you can specify where the maximum gains should be. My first FFE was a generic one from Automech and I had the same problem. So went in for a new custom FFE from Viper and specified that I want it to be designed strictly for the bottom end. Now my car drives much better in bumper to bumper traffic.

2. Again, my first FFE was pretty loud, it sounded great initially but after a while it was irritable so I told viper that I'd like the new FFE to sound as close to stock as possible. Now it's almost stock till 3000 rpm (where I do most of my driving) and after that it's louder than stock but not as loud as most FFEs I have seen or heard.

Just be sure that you specify this to your tuner and there should be no reson why you should be unhappy.
Astleviz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 00:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

I have an Ikon 1.6, it has been running on the Stock Replacement K&N filter. I am okay with the very little additional drivability that the high flow filter offered to me.

One of the main reasons while choosing the Stock replacement was being able to retain the stock airbox, which takes in air from behind the front bumer functioning like a Cold Air Intake. An universal filter in the same area even with necessary heat shielding wouldn't be same.

As regards additional airflow capabilities of the universal filter, I do not see any significant gains that can make me forego the factory air intake that were designed by engineers in sync with what airflow the specific Engine will demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I am not holding back the upgrade to FFE. Probably by mid of January I am planning these upgrades and suspension upgrades too!
The 1.6 Rocam unit is a beautiful powerplant. If you study its roots, you would even find "Yamaha" involved in its design process. Whether an aftermarket exhaust system will actually benefit you is a matter of a big debate. My suggestion will be to just enjoy the fantastic flat torque curve of this lovely powerplant rather than trying to shift the torque/power peaks in any way.

Use the gears and revs wisely and you will continue to enjoy (but silently).

Last edited by 1100D : 24th December 2008 at 00:08.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 00:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
1. If it's a custom job, you can specify where the maximum gains should be. My first FFE was a generic one from Automech and I had the same problem. So went in for a new custom FFE from Viper and specified that I want it to be designed strictly for the bottom end. Now my car drives much better in bumper to bumper traffic.

2. Again, my first FFE was pretty loud, it sounded great initially but after a while it was irritable so I told viper that I'd like the new FFE to sound as close to stock as possible. Now it's almost stock till 3000 rpm (where I do most of my driving) and after that it's louder than stock but not as loud as most FFEs I have seen or heard.

Just be sure that you specify this to your tuner and there should be no reson why you should be unhappy.
Good that you got the desired output. That's precisely my point as well. We need to discuss with the mechanic/tuner on the expectations.

I'm yet to find a mechanic/tuner who appreciates what I expect from the Car. Was lucky to find one for my Fiero though. Oops am going

@1100D: Well said and like I said earlier I was afraid to tamper with my Ikon's engine as well. But a good tuner/mechanic can work wonders with it. Funnily, I feel that the Car is even more peppy when there's a hole/leak in the exhaust pipe or muffler
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 06:42   #34
BHPian

I am running my 1.6 with a KnN Conical and a header-back exhaust but i would'nt say there is a huge power gain, yes the difference in performance is more than noticeable because the restrictions have gone so the engine revs more freely. I really dont think one gains any BHP out of a high-flow filter and FFE its just a boost in MHP.
Its just that the engine is more free so its easier for it to attain speeds which earlier took more time and effort.

@anachronix- i still think something is amiss and the high torque is not attributable to dirt fuel...agreed it might have taken away performance like top-end but cannot possibly increase low-end grunt because dirty fuel will sap performance in the entire rev range and not just top-end. If the fuel pump was not able to fuction properly with the dirty fuel it would have sapped low-end performance as well.
If you say 2nd did 60kmph the there is very little possibility 130kmph could be achieved quickly.
The "phenomenon" that you explained in your initial post can only occur with change in gear ratios. I cant possibly think of fuel/air-filter resulting in a phenominal increase in torque.
Maybe you did not reset the ECU by disconnecting the -ve terminal after K n N installation due to which the ECU was running a leaner a/f mixture which might explain a drop in performance.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by abhik : 25th December 2008 at 06:44.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote