Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th December 2008, 13:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Ford Ikon 1.6 suffering high torque

I replaced my stock air filters to K&N factory replacement high flow filters. Ever since my already torqueee 1.6 Ikon has become even more torquee.

The effects .

The top speed has come down and I could reach only 60KMPH in the 2nd Gear peaking at more than 5K RPM.

I drove from Bangi to Chennai last evening via the GQ and I could hit a top speed of only 120 - 130 KMPH but I could reach that top speed with ease & too quickly. The 4th gear feels as powerful as the 3rd Gear, feels nice but doesnt get the speed for that gear!

How could I create a balanced and linear torque which would bring back the previous ratios! Help please! Would a FFE help this balance out?
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 14:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you are not able to hit the speeds that you were able to earlier then you have chosen the wrong size filter. It is too small.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 14:42   #3
BHPian

I guess the replacement filter that you have chosen/put is incorrect.

No such impact as yours when I replaced mine with a K&N filter on my 1.6.

Infact it is even more pleasure to drive the car with a K&N.

The top speed in each gear has not changed because of the rev limiter,however it is now faster to reach there.
zen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 14:46   #4
BHPian

I doubt if the replacement filter alone will result in either a substantial gain in torque or that much of a drop in the overall speed.

I have a K&N conical filter with a custom made pipe in my ikon and there was no perceptible difference in torque, in gear acceleration or top speed when running on the K&N alone. Then I strapped a full FFE and triphase in addition to the K&N and there was a substantial difference in initial pickup as well as in-gear acceleration but the top speed remained the same.

Is it possible for you to do a couple of test runs on the same stretch of road- one with the replacement filter and one with the stock filter and see if there is that much of a difference? If there is a difference it means that either you have a smaller filter than is required or the filter is clogged.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 14:58   #5
BHPian

He has chosen a K&N replacement filter and not a universal one. There is definitely something wrong somewhere.
aditya.86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 15:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

60kmph in 2nd gear at 5k rpm??? seems like your clutch is the problem.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 15:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
60kmph in 2nd gear at 5k rpm??? seems like your clutch is the problem.
This might also be the case. How much kms has your vehicle clocked? With K&N & without K&N? Did this problem start right after filter replacement or did it happen after sometime?

Last edited by vikram_d : 13th December 2008 at 15:46.
Old 13th December 2008, 16:25   #8
BHPian

My first reaction was also that it had to be a clutch problem but how do you explain more torque with a faulty clutch? If the clutch is slipping or burnt out, it would take longer for him to reach 120 kmph but he has mentioned that he was able to achieve that speed faster than a stock ikon. From what i understand, if his clutch is slipping or defective, the rpm would go up but the speed wouldn't rise proportionately as compared to a clutch in perfect condition. Typically a faulty clutch means that the RPM will rise but the speed won't which means a drop in acceleration but he claims that his car was faster than before till 120-130 kmph.

From his description, it seems that his car is being starved of air/fuel beyond a certain RPM which explains 60kmph in 2nd gear at 5000 RPM and a max speed of 130 kmph.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 16:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

But if his clutch has a prob, it can't possibly improve acceleration in any gear. he says his 4th accelerates like his 3rd used to (which is impossible unless you change the gearing or have a much more powerful engine)

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 18:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

The Clutch is absoulety fine since it was replaced recently about 10K Kms back! It can be ruled out I beleive!

This was the first time I took the car on my long drives after I got the filters replaced so I could verify the different gear ratios on empty straights.

I did TD the car after replacing the filters on a short stretch reaching 130KMPH easily and I was quite happy.

I was shocked to see that as the faster I could ever do on any long straights with my car :(

Last edited by anachronix : 13th December 2008 at 18:11.
Old 13th December 2008, 18:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

filter cannot affect top speed yet give more power, something is amiss here.
get the car checked at ***
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 23:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
This might also be the case. How much kms has your vehicle clocked? With K&N & without K&N? Did this problem start right after filter replacement or did it happen after sometime?
I had a brief drive on the waters here in Chennai during the rain 2 weeks back. The car didnt stall but I got my Alternator which was already weak screwed up and got it replaced. Also did the routine service just a day back. Before I replaced the alternator it was alright!

Does the alternator have anything to do with this abnormal behaviour!?

Last edited by anachronix : 13th December 2008 at 23:14.
Old 14th December 2008, 01:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Alternator generally is not known to cause such problems. Until & unless there is something seriously wrong with it and it is putting excessive strain on the engine.
Old 14th December 2008, 01:44   #14
jat
BHPian

If there is no change in tyres size, then your speedo may be faulty. If the engine can redline in 2nd gear, and clutch is ok, then there is no way the max speed can be lower than original except you have changed the gearing ratio.
jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 01:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Please answer these questions.

How old is the car, mileage wise?
Did the problem start immediately after filter installation or after sometime (approximately how many kilometers later)?

The filter has everything to do with this problem. If it is not supplying enough air then the engine will slow down. Right?