Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th July 2009, 23:16   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Softest of the lot - Punto.
I can second that. Not that the swift's clutch is hard by any stretch of imagination, but the Punto's clutch is like smearing honey into Keira Knightley, to borrow one of JC's expressions.

But I still prefer the swift's clutch. For it's feel. It might be a little bit harder, but sure gives a great feedback when it's engaging. And that makes it a bit easier to pilot in the city.
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 02:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

My Swift's clutch is a very gentle thing
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 21:36   #18
BANNED

i have always wondered, why is the clutch play longer in diesel cars compared to petrol for example Linea MJD and T-jet respectively.
Mindgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 12:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
I can second that. Not that the swift's clutch is hard by any stretch of imagination, but the Punto's clutch is like smearing honey into Keira Knightley, to borrow one of JC's expressions.

But I still prefer the swift's clutch. For it's feel. It might be a little bit harder, but sure gives a great feedback when it's engaging. And that makes it a bit easier to pilot in the city.
Punto is sure soft, by the play is very long. On my vista its hard for sure, but it doesnt travel all the way
vista_qjd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 20:29   #20
BANNED

Note from Team-BHP Support: Please note that Bumping a thread is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP and is considered as Spam. Future instances of bumping up threads will have your account infracted. We request your co-operation in maintaining the quality of our forum.

Thanks,

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th October 2010 at 21:30. Reason: Please take a look at the Mod end added to your post.
Mindgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:33   #21
BHPian

i had both petrol and crdi accent's. the diesel's clutch was way too heavy compared to the petrol ones.
Zero Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:56   #22
BHPian

The clutch of Indica Vista Quadrajet is hydraulic. The specified cars have the same FIAT Multijet diesel engine mated to Fiat's gearbox. Hence the clutch is soft. With the mechanical clutches, it will be very hard.
yogeshnaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 17:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
The clutch of Indica Vista Quadrajet is hydraulic. The specified cars have the same FIAT Multijet diesel engine mated to Fiat's gearbox. Hence the clutch is soft. With the mechanical clutches, it will be very hard.
Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought Swift DDiS uses Maruti's gearbox that is mated to the MJD. It is not the case?
pacman2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 22:44   #24
BHPian

This may sound odd but you have to try it to believe me. Drive around 10 kms in the morning barefooted. Remove any shoes or slippers. There is always a difference in vibration levels when you drive barefooted. Driving with shoes will surely make the vibrations/harmonics transferred from the engine to your body less. Has anyone tried it out or is it just psychological phenomena? I always change my engine oil after every 7500 kms when more harmonics reach my foot. Is it really a veritable test to decide the car's condition? Driving barefooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought Swift DDiS uses Maruti's gearbox that is mated to the MJD. It is not the case?
Hi pacman,
Actually the Swift DDIS uses the maruti's gearbox mated to the DDIS/MJD. But the fiat engine feels the best when mated to a fiat gearbox. The punto is a world class vehicle miles ahead of the swift in terms of build quality. The punto gearbox is very good with longer throws. The ritz diesel has a very comfortable gear lever placement. But the short throws sap all the fun that a spirited driver crazes for. The swift gear box is perfect though not the best. And clutch fluid used by maruti is quite hygroscopic. It is easily contaminated by moisture. After 2 years the feel is not very encouraging. Also when you rev the car to higher rpms the clutch feel is quite rough.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd November 2014 at 19:10. Reason: Back to back posts
adit mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 21:52   #25
BHPian

Default Re: How come Swift DDiS and Indica Vista have such soft clutch?

Went through the thread.
Now, can I put Vista Quadrajet Clutch Kit to Punto MJD. I heard from some technicians that the Quadrajet Clutches are good and last longer. My Punto MJD clutch is already giving some gear shifting issues at 51000kms. Please advice.

Also the cost of quadrajet clutch kit is 3650 and punto mjd clutch kit is 5700 as per 99rpm.
blackstallion76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 01:12   #26
BHPian

Default Re: How come Swift DDiS and Indica Vista have such soft clutch?

Any suggestions please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Went through the thread.
Now, can I put Vista Quadrajet Clutch Kit to Punto MJD. I heard from some technicians that the Quadrajet Clutches are good and last longer. My Punto MJD clutch is already giving some gear shifting issues at 51000kms. Please advice.

Also the cost of quadrajet clutch kit is 3650 and punto mjd clutch kit is 5700 as per 99rpm.
blackstallion76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 01:32   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
My Punto MJD clutch is already giving some gear shifting issues at 51000kms. Please advice.

Check what all are there in the kit for the probe difference you find.

Generally during a clutch change, all 3 critical parts are changed at one go for better reliability.

1) Clutch plate,
2) Pressure plate,
3) Clutch release bearing.

May be the quadrajet kit doesn't contain the clutch release bearings whereas the one on 99rpm contains. Hence the difference.

On an average these should be the costs of the individual parts:

-- Clutch plate: ₹1600
-- Pressure Plate: ₹1097
-- Clutch release bearing: ₹3100
-- Transmission oil : ₹900 for 2.6 ltrs.

Above are prices for clutch kit for Swift DDiS from MGP retail outlet.

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th August 2015 at 01:34.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote