Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th December 2015, 10:25   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I keep getting rust under the weather strip and beadings of my car doors. Any way to prevent that ? I dont think water is collecting there as such and dont wash my car more then twice a week.

Also wondering on the new SUVs, crossovers, etc how would you prevent rusting under all that black plastic cladding which you cant reach under ? Im especially concerned about doors, especially the bottom edge which is a prepetual rust spot for most cars.
All these spots need to be attended to every 2 years (especially in coastal areas) to see if rusts have creeped in.

Solution is coating with cavity wax and a layer of sealant in all these locations. The bottoms of the doors can be painted with underbody coating (interior side) and a spray of clear coat on the outside.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 19:06   #47
BHPian

Cavity wax in between the plastic cladding and the body panel ? That area will be tough to maintain, no way to wax(or use sealant) or paint without removing the cladding which Im sure most wont be willing to do especially on a brand new car.

What about under the weather strip and beading ? part of it you can wax by lifting it but again most cant be accessed for maintenance without removing it completely. Is it possible to use cavity wax inside the window frame ?

I guess this kind of rusting we just have to accept and deal with it as and when it crops up.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 13:43   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Cavity wax in between the plastic cladding and the body panel ? That area will be tough to maintain, no way to wax(or use sealant) or paint without removing the cladding which Im sure most wont be willing to do especially on a brand new car.

What about under the weather strip and beading ? part of it you can wax by lifting it but again most cant be accessed for maintenance without removing it completely. Is it possible to use cavity wax inside the window frame ?

I guess this kind of rusting we just have to accept and deal with it as and when it crops up.
Cavity wax can be used in claddings also. Yes. You need to open it once, spray is properly without spilling across, fix it back and forget it for next 2 or 3 years.

Cavity wax can be sprayed inside the door sills. (If you have time and patient mechanic).

All parts in car which is covered with claddings and weather strips can be saved with efforts and time. There is no need to accept the fact that they will get rusted anyhow unless you wish it to be that way.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote