Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th December 2008, 15:54   #1
BHPian

Exclamation Peculiar starting trouble in Palio MJD

Have noticed a peculiar starting problem with my Palio MJD. The frequency is very less but need the guru's opinion to confirm if its a sneak peek for a bigger trouble.

After switch on and Check lights Go off. When I move the ignition to START position. Nothing happens except for a minor relay sound and dash lights ( Battery ) dimming slightly as if its going to crank but No cranking sound either. I switch off and repeat the process again the engine comes to life and runs normally without any symptom of such Issue.

Thought it would be because of the way I am turning the key since Palio's have the double crank prevention system. But have been careful for the last one week and again encountered it once.

This is has happened for about 5 times in the last 3 months. Odo reading is @ 2500 kms.

Any one facing similar issue with Palio?
lightpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 15:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Happened to me on the 1.6, got the alternator replaced. used to happen on and off where you turn the key and nothing happens.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 16:28   #3
BHPian

I am facing this as an intermittent issue. Was it the same? Just wanted to have an idea before I give the key to the A.S.S. for diagnosis.
Old 20th December 2008, 16:41   #4
BHPian

Even i faced the same issue with my Lancer Diesel two months back...... Culprit was Loose Battery Terminal ..... There was little gap between the Battery connection point & the terminal ..... the electrician fixed a small iron nail to fill the gap ..... no problem after that .
Sivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 16:46   #5
BHPian

This seems to be an issue with either the alternator (as bottle has mentioned) or the battery terminals.

If it is the alternator (or the battery life itself) what could be happening, for it to be an intermittent issue could be that when you go for a longer drive and say probably during the day (when you use the lights the least) the Battery might be retaining enough charge or the alternator (with a weak charge rate) would be just about charging the battery for your next cold start. The vice versa could be happening for the problem to occur.

If the battery terminal is not tight enough, that also could/would create problems.

So,

1) Check the terminals

2) Check your Charge rate (that will give you info on the condition of your alternator and also check the battery)

Please do post after the problem is solved for us to learn more.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 17:53   #6
BHPian

Thanks @suren181 and @bottle. I will update once the issue is resolved.

For Battery life the vehicle is just 3 months old and hence didn't suspect it for now.
Old 20th December 2008, 18:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpower View Post
Thanks @suren181 and @bottle. I will update once the issue is resolved.
It could be a ignition switch contact issue.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 19:14   #8
BHPian

1) It could be contact problem in key,
2) May be loose battery terminal
3) alternator problem.

Since its new car, it might be key contact problem. You can check the battery terminal yourself, So it might be problem 1 or 2.
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 19:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this issue in two friends' cars - a Santro and a Gypsy.
The problem should not be with the alternator or the battery. It probably has more to do with the relay that operates the starter motor. This relay/solenoid is usually strapped to the starter motor in most cars.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the cars keep going on & on for months with this little problem!

Sorry, I don't know when & if these two were repaired.

Last edited by anupmathur : 20th December 2008 at 19:51.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 10:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Had the same problem in my OHC. Loose battery terminal, was fixed by a quick trip to a battery-shop and getting it "serviced" for 50 bucks...
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 14:45   #11
BHPian

lightpower, any updates on whether the said issue was sorted out? Please do keep us updated as to the solution, would help others when and if a similar situation arises.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 15:21   #12
BHPian

After the post the problem didn't surface yet. Hence got back into my routine life will make a trip to the A.S.S by next week and provide an update.
Old 25th December 2008, 02:49   #13
BHPian

It is a problem of the Starter Motor (Solenoid).
it costs around 500-600 rupees. it'd be hard to show the A.S.S. guys this problem as it occurs only once-a-while. i really would not worry about it too much right now.

replace the starter motor when the frequency of this problem increases.
amitverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 09:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
It is a problem of the Starter Motor (Solenoid).
it costs around 500-600 rupees. it'd be hard to show the A.S.S. guys this problem as it occurs only once-a-while. i really would not worry about it too much right now.

replace the starter motor when the frequency of this problem increases.
I'll suggest solenoid cleaned with petrol and lubricated with engine oil. Carbon deposit may be causing resistance (and hence dimming light). Getting it clean is important because once in my esteem, the carbon increased to a level where the solenoid often use to stick causing continous starter motor running.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 13:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
I'll suggest solenoid cleaned with petrol and lubricated with engine oil. Carbon deposit may be causing resistance (and hence dimming light). Getting it clean is important because once in my esteem, the carbon increased to a level where the solenoid often use to stick causing continous starter motor running.

1+

same problem with 1.6 siena got it serviced now it works like a charm

also keep a lookout for relay problem maybe its faulty. (use BOSCH relays only )
FERRO is offline   Reply With Quote