Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd October 2009, 23:21   #16
Senior - BHPian
Default Overheating in retro Palio 1.6

Cross posting from another thread, as I didn't get any responses there.

I'm facing an overheating issue in my retro Palio 1.6. Earlier, the temperature indicator needle remained between 1/4 and the 1/2 mark without a/c, and approx at the 1/4 mark with a/c. But now, since a few days before Diwali, it hovers at & a little above half way without ac, and between 1/2 & 1/4 mark with ac. This happens both in city and highway driving.

This is what I did before taking it to the workshop:
1. Checked fan functioning - seemed to be ok, at least to me; it's kicking in like before.
2. Checked coolant level - in cold condition, it's a little bit above the small (MIN) arrow on the right side of the coolant tank.
3. Visually confirmed that there is no coolant leakage.

Then, took the car to BU Bhandari in Pune before Diwali. Since they had a lot of cars for servicing & repairing already, only a cursory check up was done after a trial run. Coolant level was fine, no leakages found. Fan was working perfectly. They suspected an air block (don't know where), which was removed by loosening some nut at the left hand side in the engine bay and tightening it again. This seemed to do the trick, as the heating problem didn't occur again for the whole day; but it occurred again the next day, during a trip to the airport. BUB have now told me to bring the car for fixing this problem next week, as they are already overloaded with their backlog till then. Till then, will drive it with AC on and my fingers crossed! :-)

From this and other similar threads, these are the points I've noted to get checked at the workshop next week: Check temp sensor, check thermostat, get radiator cleaned, check for leakages or blockages, check coolant pump and fan functioning, check for any other errors on examiner, check for any fuse problem.

Please let me know if I've missed anything. Will keep this thread updated about what happens.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 23rd October 2009 at 23:24.
comfortablynumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 08:25   #17

Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
Finally found the cause of heating, the master cylinder had worn out replaced it with a new one. No problems but the breaks seem to be on lighter side.
how is the master cylinder responsible for the overheating ? please let me know because i had to replace the head gasket to solve a similar problem
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote