Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th December 2008, 11:31   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
I totally Agree with vikram here, I own a Vxi Swift and find the AC to be very effective. Get your AC checked, Must be a problem with your vehicle.
If it is indeed a problem, how does cooling improve drastically when I am cruising at higher speeds, requiring me to step down the air blower ??
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 11:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

A worn out or a slipping AC belt could be the reason.Check that out.At slow speeds it slipping and at high speeds its rotating the compressor enough to blow out cool air.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 20:15   #18
BHPian

The problem with my VXi AC is that i experiece a severe drag in the engine power

I understand that A/C steals power, but in my case it is really bad.

I drove a test drive demo also, and it was much better. Something may be wrong with my compressor.

Also, if i have not used AC for lets say...2 weeks, when i turn it on i hear "Pssssst" sound from the enginie bay for first 2 seconds. I feel this is normal though.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 01:36   #19
BHPian

We have a Swift Vxi, Baleno and a zen carb. I feel Baleno and Zen has better cooling than Swift. I am not complaining, Swift A/C is really good. I feel cold when I switch on the AC even when I am in Mangalore/Udupi(the weather is hot and humid always).
adi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 15:22   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The AC on my VDI has never been better than mediocre, and, without the recycle set, is poor.

It cools, it cools enough for me, but the many people who like their homes, cars and offices to be like fridges would find it very unsatisfactory.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 15:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd go with Thad here.

My VDi has had a mediocre AC from day one. Yes, i like the AC to be like a fridge Xeta is quite better. At 100km itself, the AC was compared back to back with the santro and lost out. Xeta se pehle hi game up ho chuki thi.

Competent gave the AC a green chit on the 600km service. At 5800km today, I couldn't care less - I bought it for the engine
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 21:03   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't like fridges (except for keeping food in, of course!) --- but I do think that AC should give the option.

Hey ho...
Old 31st December 2008, 22:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
On my Swift VXI I have found the level of cooling of the A.C very poor when the vehicle is idling and this improved to satisfactory levels only around 60 kmph speeds and on 3rd gear onwards. This has been observed from the very beginning.
My first DDIS had the AC problem. It was not effective. So i took to MASS and they monitored the temperature with electronic Meter. The technician was revving the engine upto 2 rpm. I asked him why he was doing that and he said while the engine is at idle the cooling of the complete cabin takes long as the conditioning is not good enough during idling and hence to make the air more colder he was revving the engine.

He showed me this by inserting the meter needle inside the AC vents. Now when the engine was idle the temperature was not decreasing fast. And when he revved the engine the temperature started to drop considerably faster. He said this is how the AC is designed for swift, when you are driving faster the AC gets more effective. He said the other models like the alto, zen have a cut off system where in the AC switches off automatically once the cabin reaches certain temperature, like we have in our home, but swift has no automatic AC cut(switch) off system.

But he also mentioned that once the cabin is cold enough then even at idling it feels effective.

Last edited by tush : 31st December 2008 at 22:27.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 22:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
The technician was revving the engine upto 2 rpm.
Correction : The technician was revving the engine upto 2000 rpm

Last edited by tush : 31st December 2008 at 22:45.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 00:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

I dont know but I think the A/C of my friend's Swift petrol is pretty effective. Its quite close to my Palio's A/C and its as good as they come as far as small cars are concerned.
extreme_torque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 00:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Have to say that sounds a bit suspect.

Not saying, of course, that it is not the case, I can believe it --- but can they really have purposely designed it to be like that? Even if they did it sounds like a design fault to me.

Everybody cool enough? No? Hang on, I'll just change down and waste some fuel!

Silly, eh?
Old 1st January 2009, 00:58   #27
BHPian

Isolated problem for sure.

We have a 2006 vxi(abs) and even in the delhi summer the cooling is very good.

Get your car checked.
girishg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 11:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
My first DDIS had the AC problem. It was not effective. So i took to MASS and they monitored the temperature with electronic Meter. The technician was revving the engine upto 2 rpm. I asked him why he was doing that and he said while the engine is at idle the cooling of the complete cabin takes long as the conditioning is not good enough during idling and hence to make the air more colder he was revving the engine.

He showed me this by inserting the meter needle inside the AC vents. Now when the engine was idle the temperature was not decreasing fast. And when he revved the engine the temperature started to drop considerably faster. He said this is how the AC is designed for swift, when you are driving faster the AC gets more effective. He said the other models like the alto, zen have a cut off system where in the AC switches off automatically once the cabin reaches certain temperature, like we have in our home, but swift has no automatic AC cut(switch) off system.

But he also mentioned that once the cabin is cold enough then even at idling it feels effective.
I think your observation is very similar to mine and I am prone to believe that something in Swift is different which links the A/c to the revving of the engine.
On a hot day and in a traffic jam, there is no way we can get the cabin cooled in a Swift however much you try other than stupidly revving up the engine and smoking petrol.
As some posts have even differentiated Petrol Swift and Diesel Swift in A/c performance, maybe I would still get my car checked up.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 15:45   #29
Team-BHP Support

[quote=sandeep3in;1110025]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check your AC gas level, might be low and hence the cooling issue, and Swift D has lesser cooling compared to P.

Jaggu just out of curiosity is there any technical reasons as to why the AC is inferior in Swift diesel when compared to the petrol counterpart.

From my limited knowledge i thought the AC's are same in both Petrol and Deisel Swifts.Please correct me if Iam wrong.
The thermostat setting in swift D is different and hence the cooling is different compared to Petrol, also the compressor cut off system is quite different in the diesel version.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 16:20   #30
BHPian

After 38K+ kms of running, I can see that my VDi's A/C is not that effective as it was before. The cool air flow is what feels reduced inside the cabin. The refrigerant pressure is ok, the SC guy says that the A/C may need servicing. Which in turn will require the refrigerant also to be newly filled, as the existing will be lost while the servicing. Should I go for it? Cost will be near to Rs. 2000.
abhilash_iv is offline   Reply With Quote