Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th April 2005, 17:40   #1
BHPian

Default How long after fuel warning lamp is on

Hello,

Just wanted to find out how much longer (distance) could one drive a car. Mine is Accent Petrol. I was thinking that after fuel warning indicator comes on, one can still drive about 50 kms. Is this okay?

Thanks
Siva
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 18:09   #2
BHPian

its mentioned in the manual the approx fuel qty left in the tank when the light goes on. You know your mileage, just multiply and get the result!

I think running till the tank dries out is not recommended. Why, i'm not sure, but it says so in the manual.
simran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 18:19   #3
BHPian

thats because the fuel pump is lubricated by the petrol flowing through it.. if your tank gets dry, the pump overheats and goes bust.. only option is to replace for 5-10K..

there's plenty more that goes wrong with modern cars due to non-supply of fuel but I am not sure what all.. The cat also suffers in some way, I was told..

Best practice is to tank up immediately when the lamp comes on
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 18:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

yeah they do not recommend to run till empty especially in mpfi cars. this is because the dirt and other impurities which clog the injectors and filter up. same goes to the carb engine where the carb will get blocked.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 20:01   #5
BHPian

folks... unless totally unavoidable... would suggest that u maintain a half tank as the re-order level and not the lamp comin on or the indicator reaching E.... financially no negative impact..... a cleaner petrol tank... and some more technical benefits.. which i have heard.. but cudnt understand and hence cant replicate here...

net net... half tank.. worst case.. quarter tank... refill....

cheers.....
vivaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 20:07   #6
BANNED

most of the time.the indicator is my indication of filling up the fuel.i think you should make about 50 km after the light goes on.so i suppos e your car should contain around 5-10 lts.when i asked regarding my santro.thats what the workshop guys told me ..
freakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 20:07   #7
BHPian

but keeping half tank always means you are carrying extra kilos in the back always ... so the weight increases and the FE might reduce.

So while this is the cost of keeping that extra fuel, what are the benefits???

Related Q: What is the density of petrol and diesel?
simran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 20:15   #8
BANNED

what iceman...told was absolutely correct..if the fuel level goes down ,the dust in the lower layers of the tank might just enter the carb..then the performance goes down gradually.we are not sure that the fuel which we fill in is 100 pure.i have come across a lot of gas stations which do some sort of malpractice...
freakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 20:50   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thalavoy,

NEVER EVER let your car run with the fuel warning on - If it does run out, your fuel pump has lost its coolant and lubrication (i.e. fuel itself).

As a principle, I have all my cars tanked up early monday morning. Fuel, lubricants, air, coolant etc. For those with normal running, a tank full should last seven days.

Hey, it also helps to open your engine bay atleast once a week.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 23:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

yup a 1/4 indicator is as far as i can risk it for reasons listed by Iceman.

and yeah - Drifter i hope you are reading this thread !!!!!
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 23:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and yeah - Drifter i hope you are reading this thread !!!!!
Yeah i read it...hehehe

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 01:04   #12
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Yeah i read it...hehehe

Drifter
so do something about it now
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 02:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy
Hello,

Just wanted to find out how much longer (distance) could one drive a car. Mine is Accent Petrol. I was thinking that after fuel warning indicator comes on, one can still drive about 50 kms. Is this okay?

Thanks
Siva
Its 5 litres, so you should be able to squeeze out 50 kms or more. This is not recommended, and you should tank up immediately after you see the warning (preferably BEFORE). However, if you're stuck on a particularly lonely road you know that you have about 50 kms to go - will help you plan if you were to stop and ask around for the nearest fuel station.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 09:30   #14
BHPian

Thanks all. It is not as if I wanted to run on empty. I had gone to Coorg for the weekend. I was assured that the town we were visiting had bunk. But after reaching there was told that the pump is broken. No problem. We will visit the next town (12kms away). Guess what. They were out of stock. By then, my indicator came on whenever going up and down. Was a scare. Next morning the pump had been repaired and no issues. Otherwise, I had to go to another town about 20+ kms. That had me thinking. How many more miles to go till ...
Thanks again.

Thalavoy
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 13:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

not necessar that it has to be 5 liters only. it all dpends on the vehicle. the accent has an 8 liter reserve. it varies from car to car.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote