Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 16:37   #1
BHPian
 
risga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 205
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Engine check light - Getz

I have been reading a lot about the engine check light on this forum. From what I read here and also what I observe in my wagon R, is that, when the ignition key is turned to ON, the yellow light comes on along with the charging, oil and brake oil warning lights. Once the car starts, these lights go off.

In my Getz (1.3, bought Nov 2006), I have observed that the yellow light does not switch ON along with the other warning lights before the car is started.

Somehow, I do not seem to remember if it used to come ON earlier. Before I flag it off as a problem with the service centre, would request other Getz owners to check this in their Getz and confirm please. I read the car manual and it is silent on this.
risga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15th January 2009, 10:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 36,389
Thanked: 28,351 Times
Default

I don't remember the last time that I drove a modern petrol car, and the yellow check engine light didn't come up in the *ignition on* position. I suggest you have Hyundai give her the once over.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 10:09   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 62
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

when you turn the ignition key i.e. the key to its "ignition on" position then the yellow light (check engine) light turns on. After around 1.5 seconds the yellow light turns off automatically (before you turn the key further to start the car).
wmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 22:56   #4
BHPian
 
ask77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Agra
Posts: 135
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Get the car scanned in the Hyundai A.S.S , probably something wrong with the indicator itself
ask77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 11:53   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,167
Thanked: 230 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
I have been reading a lot about the engine check light on this forum. From what I read here and also what I observe in my wagon R, is that, when the ignition key is turned to ON, the yellow light comes on along with the charging, oil and brake oil warning lights. Once the car starts, these lights go off.

In my Getz (1.3, bought Nov 2006), I have observed that the yellow light does not switch ON along with the other warning lights before the car is started.

Somehow, I do not seem to remember if it used to come ON earlier. Before I flag it off as a problem with the service centre, would request other Getz owners to check this in their Getz and confirm please. I read the car manual and it is silent on this.
If it doesnt turn on when you first turn the key to "ignition" or IGN in some cars, then it is either a blown bulb, a wiring fault or a faulty input device (to the bulb that is).

When you move the key to ignition, all indicators are supposed to turn on. This is to diagnose any faulty bulb before you begin to move. The following indicators must switch on EVERY time you turn the key to ignition:
a) Engine oil pressure
b) Battery/alternator
c) ABS (if equipped)
d) Brakes
e) Check engine

This is just a partial list of warning lights in cars. Some cars have many more.

If you dont see one or more of these light up, or if they come on during normal operations, take your car to the dealer right away. All of them monitor critical parts or functions and are not to be ignored.

Cheers!

R2D2
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 23:32   #6
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 325
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

I checked in my Getz GLX today and did not find any yellow light except ABS SRI light. So I crossed checked with the user manual whether I am missing something. In the user manual the only instance of something resembling a 'check light' is the Malfunction Indicator Light, resembling because it is represented by a graphic symbol of a gear box with CHECK written below it. However, the heading reads "Malfunction Indicator Light (if installed)" and the description indicates it is related to 'exhaust gas related component'.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 11:21   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,167
Thanked: 230 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I checked in my Getz GLX today and did not find any yellow light except ABS SRI light. So I crossed checked with the user manual whether I am missing something. In the user manual the only instance of something resembling a 'check light' is the Malfunction Indicator Light, resembling because it is represented by a graphic symbol of a gear box with CHECK written below it. However, the heading reads "Malfunction Indicator Light (if installed)" and the description indicates it is related to 'exhaust gas related component'.
The malfunction light (in the shape of an engine, sometimes an engine with a gearbox attached) is the ECUs way of telling you that one of the critical components mostly sensors required for normal engine performance and/or emission control is either dead or not performing the way it ought to. Either way, get it checked.

Out of all the 'idiot lights', you must take the oil pressure, battery, brake and ABS lights very seriously and take actions specified in the manual. If ignored you could wind up with inconveniences ranging from a repair bill to, God forbid, an accident.

Cheers!

R2D2
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 19:27   #8
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 325
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Somehow, I do not seem to remember if it used to come ON earlier.
risqa's statement and my own observation begs the question: Is the Engine Check Light present in the Getz at all? From the discussion so far it seems to be an integral part of a modern petrol engine. Nevertheless it seem to be missing in the Getz. Can other Getz owners confirm or deny? If it does exist, I will need to get my Getz checked.

I am attaching photos of the user manual showing instrument cluster of Getz petrol and description of Malfunction Indicator Light. Note that the instrument cluster does not show anything resembling an engine check light and the MI light seems optional (underlined in red).
Attached Images
 
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 19:38   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,167
Thanked: 230 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
risqa's statement and my own observation begs the question: Is the Engine Check Light present in the Getz at all? From the discussion so far it seems to be an integral part of a modern petrol engine. Nevertheless it seem to be missing in the Getz. Can other Getz owners confirm or deny? If it does exist, I will need to get my Getz checked.

I am attaching photos of the user manual showing instrument cluster of Getz petrol and description of Malfunction Indicator Light. Note that the instrument cluster does not show anything resembling an engine check light and the MI light seems optional (underlined in red).
Guite, I am yet to see a modern FI/ECU controlled car without this light. If it doesnt exist or considered optional (!!) I think Hyundai need to get their heads examined.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 11:12   #10
BHPian
 
ask77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Agra
Posts: 135
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Guite, I am yet to see a modern FI/ECU controlled car without this light. If it doesnt exist or considered optional (!!) I think Hyundai need to get their heads examined.

Cheers!
I own a Santro ERLX 2007 model earlier also I had a santro xing 2003 model . Both these cars did not have engine check light although both are Euro II and Euro III ready mpfi cars as everobody must be knowing and have proper EBD II ports for engine ecu scan etc. I thought the getz being a higher end car should be having an engine check light. Anybody who can throw some light on the mystery of the dissappearing engine check lights in Hyundai ?
ask77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 14:17   #11
BHPian
 
K a s h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 123
Thanked: 17 Times
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Is the Engine Check Light present in the Getz at all? From the discussion so far it seems to be an integral part of a modern petrol engine. Nevertheless it seem to be missing in the Getz. Can other Getz owners confirm or deny? If it does exist, I will need to get my Getz checked.
I have a 2006 Getz GLE (base model) and I don't see the engine check light when i turn the ignition ON. Only the Battery, Oil Pressure and Brake lights glows red.

I have no idea about the high-end versions of Getz though.
K a s h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 14:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 8,650
Thanked: 2,830 Times
Default

i dont think a check engine light comes on when we turn on the ignition. seems to be the case in all getz.
akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 17:35   #13
BHPian
 
risga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 205
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Thanks to all of you for responding. It seems this is a "feature" which is not deemed necessary to be provided by Hyundai in India atleast for the Getz. I did some research on this topic on the internet and came across this thread where a similar discussion has happened on another of Hyundai vehicles, the Tuscan sold in Panama.

I still do not know the full implications of this missing feature. Planning to do some more research on the net and will also try and get some feed-back from Hyundai Service in India.


Hyundai Tucson Forum :: TucsonDrivers.com • View topic - MIL light or Check Engine Light
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 23:02   #14
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 325
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

I too would like to thank all the other Hyundai car owners who have given their feedback in this thread.

From what I have learned so far from this site and elsewhere, the check light reports what the O2 sensor detects. Is that right? Having more or less established that some Hyundai models do not have engine check light, can it be that those models do not have the O2 sensor installed. That, I believe, is unthinkable in a modern ECU controlled car. So maybe, hopefully, it just the yellow light that is missing.

Link explaining O2 sensor:
HowStuffWorks "How does the oxygen sensor in a car work?"
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:11   #15
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,772
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

HI,

I owned a top of the line Getz in 2007 and can confirm that it did not have a check light. Had modded it extensively and one day I found that the car was not running right so got it scanned. A trouble code was thrown up but no check light. Its another matter that I deleted the same and all was OK.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check Engine Light wanderernomad Technical Stuff 137 23rd July 2014 22:09
Engine Check Light - Cedia mav2000 Technical Stuff 13 23rd February 2012 10:13
Vista Tdi - Engine oil and the Check engine light turns ON skartik2 Technical Stuff 4 27th August 2009 14:50
Check Engine light comes up in Indica usrivpx Technical Stuff 5 10th June 2009 12:20
Check engine light on thanks to mechanics msharma_79 Technical Stuff 14 13th February 2008 03:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks