Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th January 2009, 22:56   #16
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Both sameel and ripper are right.

I think I misled you. My bad and apologies. Actually what I meant is that for the company it is easy to convert the 1.3 to 1.6. I do not mean that we can carry out the conversion. Even if we carry out the conversion it is not going to be reliable. One of the company officials from FIAT did agree that for the company it would not cost much in the tooling required when compared to getting in the 1.9jtd. The 1.6 jtd shares many mechanical parts with the 1.3jtd and as far as I know only 3 major parts need re-tooling.
I begged and pleaded with Mangesh to steer the company from putting in the 1.3jtd in the Linea but to no avail. Hopefully the 1.6jtd will come as an option when the Grand Punto is released in April/May in both the cars. The Linea badly requires the 1.6jtd if not the Grand Punto. The 1.6jtd in the Linea would have made it a complete car.

Sorry once again for making you drool/dream into a fantasy world.

None of us should contemplate increasing the size of the engine especially when its a turbo diesel with vgt. Power bumps should only be attempted by a free flowing engine and using the power box. Changing mechanical parts shouldbe left to the design team of the company. Converting the fgt into a vgt should also not be attempted as there are too many parameters to be addressed before converting; unless you care two hoots for the environment and you have very very deep pockets.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 00:34   #17

hey Doc! nice to hear from you

i think i had once met you at nedumbassery right?

well @ ripper there are many number of ways to increase the power of the engine.

one is as i said a bigger turbo. this is feasible.( if done properly, reliable too )

then the usual tuning box. there are many available. all of them give suitable gains. ( sorry here you cant go wrong. its safe for the engine except for the smoke! F!@k the atmosphere )

Boost controllers.( these are nasty!! if not done without proper knowledge)

DO NOT USE MECH BOOST CONTROLLER. its not a good idea in CRDI engines. but electronic Boost controllers are ok. - warning its dangerous.

Piggy back ECUs ..@ ripper did you confirm the RD ECU . its piggybac and not stand alone ECU. its not an easy task to mimic EDC16 Bosch ECU!! replacing the whole ECU in a diesel CRDI vehicle is not childs play its not possible!! .

its also possible to go for a double turbo unit. too complex !! still not impossible.

then the - REMAP way! its asking for trouble as there is no going back here. and all fail safe mechanisms like LIMP MODE etc will go for a toss, here the OEM SET INJECTION CURVE LIMITS ARE OVERRIDDEN!!. this is ideal to remove electronically limited top speed and stuff!

the best way to go about it is doing this in stages with a proper plan and budget and resource and workforce.

and yes power increase should be joined by better transmission and suspension systems. and yes braking systems also.

better filter like K&N appolo can be used to smoothen lower end. but dont expect anything large!!

sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 07:45   #18
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Shouldn't the increased power be complemented by better brakes and stiffer springs etc! Or is it safe to get the power upgrade to 90 without upgrading the rest of the car?
I did drive around for a year with the tuning box and a mild tyre upgrade, without much trouble. But I knew the stock braking was making me drive slower in order to be safe.
Upgraded braking a little last month. I'm still debating the stiffer springs(expensive).

@sameel, thanks for the outline.

Here's a link that I got for the intercooler upgrade. Thanks to greenhorn.
Team-BHP Classifieds - Universal Intercooler . - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Last edited by rippergeo : 17th January 2009 at 07:46.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote