Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2009, 21:06   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
It is not that only old cars will get water in Diesel on 2.2 thread a new Safari sedimeter had some 600 ml of dirt and water given to owner in a pepsi bottle ,
And pray also look at the threads of so many other diesel/petrol cars! No such issues cropping up!
Don't you think it needs a think?
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 01:34   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 384 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
And pray also look at the threads of so many other diesel/petrol cars! No such issues cropping up!
Don't you think it needs a think?
Prey look at only Common Rail Diesel threads and such issues cropping more and more. Even in your beloved "bullet proof " brand Diesel it happens, Happened in my friends 6 months old _______O mH_K, but he just believes in sending to service station and getting things fixed rather then posting on some forum

About petrol this happened in my Dads opel corsa tank was cleaned in front of his eyes and he saw mud. Same happened with our Maruti 800 as well few years back. Both these cars were in MP at that time and filling fuels from same petrol pumps after this we made a rule to get the tank filled from one reputed pump only. But there was no damage to engine and just some cleaning was done in both the cases.

Some allowance is left in fuel tank to collect mud and muck but if it is full there is no chance

FYI Indian Army cleans fuel tank regularly and they have date for next cleaning written on the tank for same reason.

Last edited by amitk26 : 10th April 2009 at 01:44.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 07:36   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
FYI Indian Army cleans fuel tank regularly and they have date for next cleaning written on the tank for same reason.
LOL, Amit, very right!
BUT... you should know that a lot of the open, dismantle and service procedures in the army have been reviewed and changed in recent years, since the advent of the 'modern' automobile! Began with the Gypsy many years ago. Too many of the reported faults were traced to 'needless' tampering! Maruti Udyog had to ask them to desist from many SOPs!

PTC is being done but now vehicle dependent and in consultation with makers!
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 03:33   #34
BHPian
 
tush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 328
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Very often, the real cause of the problem goes undetected and fuel quality or muck is blamed. And please note that the car in question here is virtually new yet!
Hope this doesn't comes out true for my car as its new.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 18:46   #35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

This is a related problem and hence not opening a new thread. Sorry for using this thread if what iam doing is wrong. Now to the issue

Have got this Swift Diesel from my friend who has gone to US. While you insert the key into ignition you get a symbol with Car and Spanner and we were told while taking the car that only after this symbol goes off we need to turn the engine on. This is ok when starting the car for the day or when you have ample time. My Clarfications
1. What do we do when you get struck in traffic and you need to restart immediately (this symbol takes takes 10-15 seconds to go off)
2. What bad would happen to engine/car if we start before this signal goes off?

Thanks in advance and as always looking for experts guidance
FlairBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 23:22   #36
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,748
Thanked: 7,466 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairBoy View Post
My Clarfications
1. What do we do when you get struck in traffic and you need to restart immediately (this symbol takes takes 10-15 seconds to go off)
2. What bad would happen to engine/car if we start before this signal goes off?
Zilch issues and no harm, only thing you might miss out if any error codes are recorded in the ECU.

Yes better to wait for water in diesel symbol and heater light to go off, which happens in a jiffy, and is more worrisome to the health of the engine.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 16:03   #37
BHPian
 
dilipkumar7278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: COCHIN
Posts: 382
Thanked: 23 Times
Default service light

Guys
while reading this thread I just decided to check my vdi.The car nd spanner symbol in my car goes only after its started and not before. Is this a problem? Please comment
Cheers
Dilip






Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairBoy View Post
This is a related problem and hence not opening a new thread. Sorry for using this thread if what iam doing is wrong. Now to the issue

Have got this Swift Diesel from my friend who has gone to US. While you insert the key into ignition you get a symbol with Car and Spanner and we were told while taking the car that only after this symbol goes off we need to turn the engine on. This is ok when starting the car for the day or when you have ample time. My Clarfications
1. What do we do when you get struck in traffic and you need to restart immediately (this symbol takes takes 10-15 seconds to go off)
2. What bad would happen to engine/car if we start before this signal goes off?

Thanks in advance and as always looking for experts guidance
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 22:16   #38
BHPian
 
dilipkumar7278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: COCHIN
Posts: 382
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Any updates guys///

regards
Dilip Kumar





Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
while reading this thread I just decided to check my vdi.The car nd spanner symbol in my car goes only after its started and not before. Is this a problem? Please comment
Cheers
Dilip
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 08:39   #39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
while reading this thread I just decided to check my vdi.The car nd spanner symbol in my car goes only after its started and not before. Is this a problem? Please comment
Cheers
Dilip
Hi Dilip

Symbol should go off before starting or you should start the engine only after the symbol goes off. We had this problem in VDI earlier when it symbol does not goes off and it was rectified by recheching the ECU.

Cheers
FlairBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 12:52   #40
BHPian
 
tush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 328
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
while reading this thread I just decided to check my vdi.The car nd spanner symbol in my car goes only after its started and not before. Is this a problem? Please comment
Cheers
Dilip
Yes it is a problem. The car and spanner indicator should go off within 4 seconds of turning the key to ignition. And then you can crank the engine as long as other indicators have also reacted properly. So take your car for a check up to MASS.

Cheers.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 13:01   #41
BHPian
 
dilipkumar7278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: COCHIN
Posts: 382
Thanked: 23 Times
Default SAI SERVICE,Edappally

gUYS
i took the car to MASS and the SA connected the scanner and reset the ECU. All is fine now.. Another advisor there told me that its normal and the light goes off only after starting. Hats off to his knowledge. I think many service advisors are not trained to rectify the faults properly
Cheers
Dilip Kumar






Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Yes it is a problem. The car and spanner indicator should go off within 4 seconds of turning the key to ignition. And then you can crank the engine as long as other indicators have also reacted properly. So take your car for a check up to MASS.

Cheers.
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 20:28   #42
BHPian
 
Nattusbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 55
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I am not sure if this is the correct thread to post this - I have a 2009 swift Petrol (VXi).

Over the last week, sometimes the car does not start . Got the MASS guys to come over to IIT KGP twice, they tinkered and said that that it is a contact problem with the relay that activates the "anti-theft" device. Essentialy, this is what they told me:

When you put the key into the ignition, there are three turns one makes of the key - in the third turn the car should start. However, if one notices carefully, at the 2nd turn, there are 2 lights that come on in the center dash - one is a red one that says BREAK and the other on top of it is Yellow wit some kind of Lock symbol. At the 2nd turn, if the yellow indicator comes on, that mean that the anti-theft device recognizes an authorized key (that has a chip in the remote control pad), and you can start the car in the 3ed turn.

If on the other hand, when you make the 2nd turn, the yellow indicator does not come on, that means that the car "thinks" that you have an un-authorized key and it will not start when you do the 3rd turn of the key.

On Saturday, MASS came to my home, picked up the car (it started) and took it for 24 hours to the shop and delivered it back on Sunday saying "we fixed the problem". I told them, just "bypass the anti-theft device" - I do not need it in the IIT campus. They did not do that, nor, replace the relay part.

In principle, a nice safety feature to prevent theft. They showed me the relay contact that appears to be the problem. I shall take pictures and post tomorrow. I do notice that in the female end of the relay plug contact there are a lot of red ants. I do not think it is a harness electrical problem because if the wires are chewed (e.g. by rats and this did happen with my Benz in Southern California last year), it should not start at all. this morning it started at home, at lunch time it would not, after I wiggled the contact it finally did start, but, this evening it refused to start.

My points are the following:

I have had the car for a year, and do not recall ever seeing the yellow light come on.

Why can't MASS just bypass the "anti-device circuit" by jumpering it out or shorting it.

Please advice.

I do not think it is any fuel pump or battery problem since the car is only 1-year old.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Nattusbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 12:13   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 865
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Hmm, Looks like this is right thread to post this issue-

I have had my Palio MJD for 15 months now and everything was fine but from the last couple of days it refuses to start when I turn on the switch the first time though the engine cranks well. I have been buying diesel from the same IOC pump so that may be ruled out.

Could it be some lose contact in the electrical setup or Battery problem?
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 14:43   #44
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,748
Thanked: 7,466 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
I am not sure if this is the correct thread to post this - I have a 2009 swift Petrol (VXi).
===============
Please advice.

I do not think it is any fuel pump or battery problem since the car is only 1-year old.

Cheers

Nattusbs
I think its an electrical issue and you need to find another reliable M.A.S.S to sort this out. You dont need to bypass, rather fixing the loose contact at the relay might be the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hmm, Looks like this is right thread to post this issue-

I have had my Palio MJD for 15 months now and everything was fine but from the last couple of days it refuses to start when I turn on the switch the first time though the engine cranks well. I have been buying diesel from the same IOC pump so that may be ruled out.

Could it be some lose contact in the electrical setup or Battery problem?

Do you wait for the tell tale lights to switch off before cranking, try it and see if it makes a difference. This usually helps the fuel pump to build the required pressure and the glow plugs to preheat the combustion chamber.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 15:24   #45
BHPian
 
woof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 125
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Today morning, when I started my Swift Vdi, the engine check light (is it the right name?) didn't switched off automatically before cranking. I waited for more than a minute I guess.

But, after cranking, the light went off. And, there were absolutely no problems while driving.

What can be the reason for this? Should I get a checkup done at MASS?
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
economy diesel duel: Maruti Ritz DDiS vs Suzuki Swift DDis vs Vista quadrajet aura. s_pphilip Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 29th October 2009 09:43
Swift DDiS vs Ritz DDiS vs iKool ? anoovis Hatchbacks 1 21st October 2009 13:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks