Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st January 2009, 19:52   #1
BHPian

Default Spoilers for Hyundai Accent for grip?

Do these aftermarket ones exist? As opposed to just for the looks.

Thanks.
lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 19:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Definetly there are high end spoilers that follow the true function of the spoiler..

but for an ordinary commuter car it does not make any difference
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 20:08   #3
BHPian

Oh, I thought they would. Thanks anyway.
lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:08   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

They would in a Porsche at speeds of over 150 kph. However, when a Lancer goes to the local garage, has a pappu fit a massive rear wing and then boasts about better high speed handling, I can't help but go .

If anything, most locally designed body kits & big wings will actually compromise your cars high speed aerodynamics.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:27   #5
BHPian

Any local fitted spoiler, even if professionally fit and bolted down on the boot is not going to add any down force.

Spoilers are supposed to work with wind down force above 140km/hr.

If you actually get a functioning spoiler, it can damage your boot cover as the boot structure is not designed to take the down force stress. Or it would get ripped of.

Most available spoiler are only show pieces which will not create any down force.

UM
UniqueMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you need more grip get better tyres. Spoilers are not meant for grip in the first place. They help diffuse air and actually help reduce drag. The main purpose of a rear spoiler in a passenger sedan is decorative.

If you need downforce, you have to get a wing. However these are effective only at very high speeds. At normal road car speeds, a wing won't do any good.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

A spoiler is not going to help you in an Accent or indeed in most other cars - I was told by an aerodynamics chap that a properly designed spoiler helps at speeds over 200kmph if the rest of the car is also designed to support it. Your Accent has super-soft springs for that 'comfortable' ride which can get wallowy in undulating surfaces. Get wider tyres - thats the best you can do, even though it is a handling issue and not a 'grip' issue.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:48   #8
BHPian

A spoiler on the back of your car - is going to do you no good. Think about it - when your driving fast - your steering becomes lighter, which is caused by lift - lift at the front of the car and reduced tyre contact.

Spoilers are used to disrupt airflow; reduce lift and tubulent airflow.

So to get your car to handle or feel better when your going faster - you really need something at the front of the car. Please note that i am not implying that you have to totally disregard any form of spoiler or anyhting for the rear of the car. Just that to reduce the effects of a light steering its the front that matters.

As to what speeds spoilers are effective is debatable - I have read about spoilers for low speeds, but these were meant to be useless at higer speeds (have yet to see any). You do get wind deflectors and stuff on Pick-ups and trucks but these are mainly to reduce drag.

check this out for a bit more information - Automotive spoiler - Wikicars
Samir Taheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:11   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tell you guys a joke : In Overdrives OHC Vtec test (year 2000), they wrote something on these lines "The Vtecs rear-end is better planted. It's probably due to the rear spoiler". I am NOT kidding.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tell you guys a joke : In Overdrives OHC Vtec test (year 2000), they wrote something on these lines "The Vtecs rear-end is better planted. It's probably due to the rear spoiler". I am NOT kidding.

not at all surprised especially since its coming from OD !! i wonder what they think of the light that is fixed in the rear spoiler ... what purpose could that be serving ??

Last edited by narayan : 22nd January 2009 at 18:30.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:46   #11
BHPian

OHC Vtecs rear nicely planted ,because of the rear spoiler?? We definitely learn new things from these auto mags .
@ narayan : the light is to show the well plantedness of the vehicle at night .

Last edited by mnhegde : 22nd January 2009 at 18:53.
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
A spoiler is not going to help you in an Accent or indeed in most other cars - I was told by an aerodynamics chap that a properly designed spoiler helps at speeds over 200kmph if the rest of the car is also designed to support it. Your Accent has super-soft springs for that 'comfortable' ride which can get wallowy in undulating surfaces. Get wider tyres - thats the best you can do, even though it is a handling issue and not a 'grip' issue.
exactly ! btw you need downforce at the front as well ( I guess Steeroid meant that by "rest of the car")

even if it works above speeds of 130 on the accent or similar car, the downforce generated would create a tussle cause the front would get somewhat lighter too (now.. fitting a large bumper with huge skirts aint going to help)

its better if you get (if it exists) some custom made suspension ( NOT LOCAL) for your car. Would improve ride over high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I hope they don't suggest this to people who are looking for better "rear end planted" thing. sick.
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote