Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th January 2009, 15:27   #1
BHPian

Default Query on Manual Central Locking

(Moderator, couldn't find a similar thread but if you know of one please put this post in there.)

I have manual central locking on my UVA.

Sometime back a friend in the back seat whom I was dropping off somewhere waited in his seat after I stopped, without opening the door, and said he was waiting for me to unlock the doors using the rod/button on my door.

When I told him he could unlock just his door using the button on his door, he said that could spoil the central locking mechanism as I had locked all the doors from my door when we started the trip.

Is that correct - is a passenger supposed to unlock his door himself, only if he has himself locked it and not if the driver has used central locking to lock his door for him?
straightdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 17:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Haha, your friend is just scaring you or he simply has wrong info.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 17:40   #3
BHPian

Lightbulb

It will not harm your Central locking system for sure. Your friend probably has some wrong information.

Personally, I would prefer locking / unlocking the door(s) from the driver side... hey but thats just me...
kbalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 19:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

There is absolutely no problem with using each door's handle to lock unlock even if it has been locked using the driver door button / rod.

Have been using central locking with remote or witjout remote for vary many years and have lost the door unit in only one instance long back.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 22:54   #5
BHPian

hello straightdrive, it won't harm your central locking system

the driver's lock actuates the other locks since most of the time when the driver leaves the car, he's the last one and hence all the doors should get locked.

However when the car stops and one of the passengers other than the driver has to get down (like in your case) then the passenger can simply open his own door lock and leave. So that would mean that the car has three locked doors and one unlocked door. To lock this door again simply unlock the driver's door and lock it again. all the door will then get locked.

the central locking system in my car (Indica Lxi)has one neat feature. After starting the car if the driver forgets to lock the door and starts off, the first time you press the brake pedal the central locking system actuates and locks the doors.
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 14:31   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys - I had a feeling I was getting wrong info but it's always better to make sure. Especially with all these innovations coming up every now and then like this brake pedal activated locking system on the Indica as described by Xeno. That seems to be a smart one.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:15   #7
BHPian

I have a different view.

there was a similar note in my mitsu lancers user manual where it mentioned that ideally the central locking should be locked and unlocked from the drivers side only.

They say there is a fault monitoring type system where if a door open and closes on its own there might be problem in the future.

let me see the lancer manual and get back to you .

but yes your friend in the back seat did make some sense. i think some cars do have a fault monitoring thingy, so its better to read what ur car manual says.
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 15:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

There would be no issues with respect to manual opening of centrally locked doors from the non driver side. If there was any problem envisaged by the manufacturers they would not have given the unlock feature on the other doors.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 15:08   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I had central locking in my Accent as standard. I added remote (Hyundai-Cobra) when new. A

fter about six and a half years I found the ignition taking multi attempts to get the self engaged. It finally packed up. After push starting the car, I went to the Hyundai dealership. They diagnosed the problem as a failed remote unit, disconnected the remote unit (just reconnecting two connectors and hence disconnecting the remote). I was advised to go Autocop since they manufacture and service Cobra (Hyundai OE brand). I decided to do without cordless remote, since having a non-functional self is a bigger menace in my view.

There is no problem with opening and closing the door lock manually with the remote installed.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 15:33   #10
BHPian

I have not heard anything like this before and for the past 1.5 years, I have been using my NHC and there seems to be no problems with my central locking.
muralisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 20:41   #11
BHPian

straightdrive,
The responses in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...cking-max.html (Hyundai Central Locking MAX) should give you a different perspective to your query.

Guite
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 17:59   #12
BHPian

Guite, I went through that thread - yes, that's another perspective.

Haven't checked my manual yet on this but tend to agree with the majority of the opinions on this thread. If there is a lock provided on all the passenger doors I suppose it is meant to be used, whether central locking is engaged or not.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:17   #13
BHPian

central locking is only for the convenience of the driver, not for the inconvenience of the passengers.
If you have activated central locking (not with an alarm, mind) any door can be manually unlocked from inside.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 17:50   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

i agree with leadf00t. Even i was told by the OHC company engineers to only use the locking from the driver's side. I'll have to find the manual to confirm...
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 22:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Does not compute.

If you aren't supposed to use them, then they won't put them there in the first place. Even if you argue that the switches are there to let people use the locks in case they aren't centrally locked, it is a trivial job to disable the locks from working entirely when centrally locked if they can engineer them to be actuated electronically in the first place.

In other words, whoever told you that was...
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote