Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd February 2009, 23:33   #1
BHPian

Default Quest for a quiet ride

Hi all,

I own a Hyundai Getz 1.3L 2008 model. With AC on, when accelerating through the gears it gives this low (frequency) humming sound. Without AC, its more or less okay because the engine does not struggle so much. Now I want to cut this noise down by active and passive means, whatever it takes.

First question: Can the engine/ECU be tuned for more power and better pick-up so that the engine pulls effortlessly, noiselessly? Just like tuning a carburettor engine: richer mix = more power? I will be giving the car for servicing soon. Will it be dumb to request such a tuning? I am not looking for third party tuning kits.

Second question: I have gone through the Sound deadening thread and I will be asking there as well. Will damping of the front doors help in cutting out engine noise? How easy or difficult is it to damp the the partition (firewall?) between the engine bay and cabin? I had asked a Hyundai technician (not engineer) and he said it is not possible.

In my initial scheme of things there would have been a third question which is about noiseless tyres. I have found the answer through Team bhp itself but have to shelf the idea because some Americans did not re-pay their house loans.

If there are existing discussions pertaining to my first question, please let me know.

Cheers,
Guite
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
First question: Can the engine/ECU be tuned for more power and better pick-up so that the engine pulls effortlessly, noiselessly? Just like tuning a carburettor engine: richer mix = more power? I will be giving the car for servicing soon. Will it be dumb to request such a tuning? I am not looking for third party tuning kits.
I have the same question for my Getz 1.3. I find the car not very 'peppy' enough. Is there some sort of tuning/adjustment that can be asked for at the service center to make it more responsive? I have already got injectors cleaned during last service but that did not have any noticeable major difference.
Quote:
In my initial scheme of things there would have been a third question which is about noiseless tyres. I have found the answer through Team bhp itself but have to shelf the idea because some Americans did not re-pay their house loans.
But I would still suggest to stretch out and go for Michelins XM1+ 175-70/13. The stock Goodyear GPS2/GT are a piece of crap. Mich are very nice, trouble free and silent. Ride quality will improve too.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:38   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Guite,

1. The first thing you need to do is take a drive in another Getz. Does it make the same humming sound? If yes....

2. Sound damping material will definitely help. It is possible to apply the material to your cars firewall too....in fact, our ICE guru - Navin - is currently stripping his brand new Honda City for the same purpose. You could also do what a lot of us enjoy i.e. turn up the stereo volume and watch those rattles / irritating sounds disappear!

3. For better performance, I would have recommended the basic mods : K&N + performance exhaust. However, the K&N's intake sound seems to be the last thing you need. After your warranty expires, you can consider a relatively silent performance exhaust.

4. And when its time to change your tyres, upgrade to a set known for minimal rolling noise.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. The first thing you need to do is take a drive in another Getz. Does it make the same humming sound? If yes....
Thanks GTO for the response. The short answer is 'yes', but my conclusion came in a round about way. I recently took a ride in another Getz 1.3, it did not emit same humming sound. So I drove it myself, still no such sound. A few days later, after reading something in this board, it struck me to try with AC off (I like to shut all windows to cut outside noise, so AC is always on). With AC off mine sounds the same as the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi
But I would still suggest to stretch out and go for Michelins XM1+
Isn't it a coincidence, one day after I made the post your are referring to, our company handed down an across the board pay cut, averaging 20% down!
Old 5th February 2009, 23:49   #5
BHPian

There is one more question I would like to add to my queries above: will sunfilm on the window/glass help in sound insulation? Any insight will be appreciated.

Guite
Old 6th February 2009, 00:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

your finding a getz engine loud? damn man you need to sit in some other cars.

on a more serious note try resetting the ecu, might help a bit. it did help in my car.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 01:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
There is one more question I would like to add to my queries above: will sunfilm on the window/glass help in sound insulation? Any insight will be appreciated.

Guite
I dont think there is any way a sun film will increase the sound insulation but seriously I think there is something wrong with your car. I have a Getz 2006 model (1.3L) and it's very quiet (esp with the windows rolled up to reduce road noise). Engine noise is very less, it's mostly the tyre noise that comes through. Have you tried driving some other small cars? I think Getz is very quiet and smooth compared to other small cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi Guite,
3. For better performance, I would have recommended the basic mods : K&N + performance exhaust. However, the K&N's intake sound seems to be the last thing you need. After your warranty expires, you can consider a relatively silent performance exhaust.
Looks like lower power is a common complaint for Getz. I also feel it is underpowered especially when it is loaded with 4-5 people, with AC on. But mostly so at low RPMs (below 2000 RPM). After 2k, it picks up nicely. My car is out of warranty now, so I'm also thinking about some performance mods to increase low RPM torque.
PaulBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 00:44   #8
BHPian

So I finally changed the tyres to Michelin XM1+, but apparently I jumped too fast. The stock tyres are 175/65 R14. The tyre dealer gave me 185/65 R14. Later I checked the Michelin India website which listed 185/60 R14 as an option . Then I checked on Team-BHP and got that link to carbible. So I have been spending the last 3 hours thinking whether I shoudl ask for a change tomorrow.

Implications are 2.23% increase in tyre circumference compared to stock, i.e. same % increase in speedo and odo reading. I can live with that if it does not affect power delivery. There is an increase of 6.5mm in tyre profile. Hopefully this will result in softer ride but my main concern is: will the engine grunt more to turn the slightly larger tyre?
Old 6th April 2009, 16:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers,
Guite
Guite,
Typically the engine is calibrated for a certain power. The engine rating is approved by ARAI (the Indian certifying agency). The engine power will not be usually changed by the service centre since that changes the emission levels as the fueling values of the engine have to be changed.
VeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote