Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th February 2009, 16:03   #1
BHPian

Default FIAT UNO - suspension & steering column problem

Problems in FIAT Uno:
Noise in steering column, weak suspension and wheel alignment need to be done.

I went to BU Bhandari and told above problems. For steering column they said one bracket needs to be changed and for suspension needs to be replaced. The price quoted for these two works is 25,000 Rs.
For wheel alignment they said need to replace the tyres, only after that they will be able to do the alignment. Checked in market and fours tyres would cost me around atleast 10,000Rs. I plan to change only front two tyres.

Can somebody shed some light / advise if really this would cost 25,000? Can somebody share alternate way to repair as this would cost me a bomb and add to that I need to spend another 10,000!!! (if I change 4 tyres)
maverickxx2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 22:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

I guess you should enquire at some local reliable workshop and ask for a quote. Since the parts are not readily available the cost might be on the higher side but i really dont know if it would cost 25K.

What all are you changing on the suspension?
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 11:48   #3
BHPian

Hi Maverick,
If you are a DIY type of guy, you can download the FIAT Uno service manual from Haynes Fiat Uno Service And Repair Manual | Ebookee Free eBooks Download!
Buy or order for what ever is needed and find some time to fix it by yourself. Finally take a ride for wheel alignment.
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 12:17   #4
BHPian

Maverick even i would like to know what needs to be changed on the suspension. i took my Uno to the garage recently and was told that the shock absorbers are weak, this could be true as the ride has become fairly bouncy. Also ive been told that a new set of shocks absorbers from a company called cofap / cofac (not entirely sure). these are nitrogen filled shocks and they roughly cost about Rs 7.5 K in Bombay. I have seen them perform on a Fiat Uno diesel and they do seem to genuinely improve the ride quality.

Also regarding Tyres. I changed to 155/70 R 13 (not sure about the 70 maybe 80 or 75 even. will check and msg back) goodyear GT 3 Tubeless tyres about 1 year back and it costed me about 2.5 per tyre and its really amazing. i can see the fuel figures gone up and the steering is a lot lighter, this maybe because i am using tubeless tyres now. But i will recommend the Michelin XM 1 as these are superior tyres.

Do check the components of the suspension that need to be replaced and i think 25K is expensive.
sharanramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 08:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
Maverick even i would like to know what needs to be changed on the suspension. i took my Uno to the garage recently and was told that the shock absorbers are weak, this could be true as the ride has become fairly bouncy. Also ive been told that a new set of shocks absorbers from a company called cofap / cofac (not entirely sure). these are nitrogen filled shocks and they roughly cost about Rs 7.5 K in Bombay. I have seen them perform on a Fiat Uno diesel and they do seem to genuinely improve the ride quality.

Also regarding Tyres. I changed to 155/70 R 13 (not sure about the 70 maybe 80 or 75 even. will check and msg back) goodyear GT 3 Tubeless tyres about 1 year back and it costed me about 2.5 per tyre and its really amazing. i can see the fuel figures gone up and the steering is a lot lighter, this maybe because i am using tubeless tyres now. But i will recommend the Michelin XM 1 as these are superior tyres.

Do check the components of the suspension that need to be replaced and i think 25K is expensive.
BU Bhandari suggested to replace - Front shocks and told rear suspension is also weak needs replacement. Quote given was 25,000.

I have put new front tyres. Took my car to Kotak in Deccan. While doing the wheel alignment the mechanic told that Tie-End Rod and ball joint needs to be replaced. And if these are not replaced tyres will again get damaged. Replaced tie end rod and ball joint and did wheel alignment.Total Cost - 3000 Rs.

Car is now perfect.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.
maverickxx2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 17:31   #6

Default cost of repair

Hi i own a fiat UNO diesel and have managed to keep it in mint condition despite the legendary spares problems from Fiat. If your car has done around 80k to 1 lac kms then in all probability, all you need to get changed are two bushes(with bearings) within which the steering column rests and rotates. Also these is a small interconnecting rod with a swivel joint hope i have got the name right. The play in this joint and the bushes makes the steering column rattle and this vibration is transmitted to the steering column. The bush set should not cost more than 1200/- to 1500/- and that of the connecting rod around 3000 to 4000/- on the max side. Labour charges max 1000/- for a two hour job. Got the job done recently in Delhi and it cost me lesser then what i have indicated.
mike_vwworld is offline   Reply With Quote