Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th February 2009, 18:03   #31
BHPian

My Baleno has run 3 years and 35K kms. I had the brake fluid replaced this last service , a week ago, and they also replaced the rear wheels cylinders, just out of abundant precaution. You should not have had a problem with the brakes. I feel the mechanic who inspected them first was probably trying to make some work for himself.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 00:48   #32
BHPian

@filcord, how much did they charge for cylinders+labor?
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 01:12   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The reservoir is a dual chambered affair in cars with dual circuit brakes. Hence, it is, in effect, like having TWO reservoirs.
Dual-circuit brakes were designed to avoid complete brake failure in the event of a master cylinder failure or wheel cylinder blowout on one wheel. Initial designs in the 80s (as on the old Maruti 800s) were fed through one reservoir, so ultimately, as sgiitk said, the brakes would totally fail once all the oil was lost. That problem was got around by having a dual-chambered reservoir, common to all cars now. Single circuit master cylinders were common in the Premiers and Ambys of the 20th century . If you lost brake oil, you could put very ripe bananas into the system after fixing the leak, and carry on home!

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2009 at 11:16. Reason: No more than 2 smilies per post please
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 13:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If you lost brake oil, you could put very ripe bananas into the system after fixing the leak, and carry on home!
LOL, I don't know these bananas that you speak of! If it can be peeled, it cannot be poured! If it cannot be poured, it will not work as brake fluid!

That apart, thanks for shedding some light on the historical aspects.
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 16:23   #35
BHPian

I guess you may need to push it a little until it reaches master cylinder, thereafter it can easily be "squeezed" into pipes as you pump the pedal!

Last edited by santosh.s : 13th February 2009 at 16:25.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 22:44   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Default ABS'll say BAS

Quote:
LOL, I don't know these bananas that you speak of! If it can be peeled, it cannot be poured! If it cannot be poured, it will not work as brake fluid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I guess you may need to push it a little until it reaches master cylinder, thereafter it can easily be "squeezed" into pipes as you pump the pedal!
Actually this was supposed to be a WW-II Army trick, as told to me by a respectable old Army officer - I've never had occasion to personally try it out. Overripe bananas, peeled and mashed, were supposed to replace brake oil in an emergency. Maybe the modern ABS (?Anti-Banana System?) will take one look at the bananas and say "BAS".
Old 14th February 2009, 08:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe the modern ABS (?Anti-Banana System?) will take one look at the bananas and say "BAS".

OK, that army story is probably derived from the account of two travellers who used bananas for engine oil in their Citroen 2CV !

Read this interesting account: CitCity - the 2CV saved from the desert by bananas

Why would anyone (even the army!) use bananas for brake oil? Engine oil would do far better than bananas! And when all else fails, there's always water, the original hydraulic medium!
Old 14th February 2009, 20:49   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

OK, that army story is probably derived from the account of two travellers who used bananas for engine oil in their Citroen 2CV !

Read this interesting account: CitCity - the 2CV saved from the desert by bananas

Why would anyone (even the army!) use bananas for brake oil? Engine oil would do far better than bananas! And when all else fails, there's always water, the original hydraulic medium!
Thanks - that was an interesting link! So now we can put bananas into the engine too. That's enough to make anyone go bananas! Er... if bananas are good for the car, what about the drivers? Will the use of bananas make bad drivers good???
Old 14th February 2009, 21:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks - that was an interesting link! So now we can put bananas into the engine too. That's enough to make anyone go bananas! Er... if bananas are good for the car, what about the drivers? Will the use of bananas make bad drivers good???
A versatile fruit indeed!
An unripe banana, used correctly, can be a good deterrent for bad drivers, if used by the public as an on-the-spot dispensation of justice!

The legendary lubricity and high melting point of bananas go a long way toward making the humble banana readily adaptable to varied requirements!
Old 15th February 2009, 00:08   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A versatile fruit indeed!
An unripe banana, used correctly, can be a good deterrent for bad drivers
Ok, so now I understand that ripe bananas go to the front end of the car and unripe ones to the other end of the driver??? In both cases, as the thread correctly says, "Brake fluid leakage - help required". All leakages, brake or intestinal, can be taken care of by some form of God's own fruit!
Old 15th February 2009, 09:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so now I understand that ripe bananas go to the front end of the car ....
Please do not oversimplify things to such an extent!
Any number of bananas stuffed in the front end of a Volkswagen Beetle will not help it go anywhere!
Application of mind, while doing such jobs, cannot be overstated.
Old 15th February 2009, 13:10   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I guess you may need to push it a little until it reaches ... wherever, thereafter it can easily be "squeezed" into ... whatever
Sorry, Santosh.S, but I couldn't resist modifying your post to explain things from a VW Beetle's perspective.
@ anupmathur: mind applied! Please don't mind...
Old 15th February 2009, 13:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

In a serious vein, there is an interesting experience of total brake failure that I'd like to recount. This happened to a friend, many years ago, in the early days of the Tata Estate. This car had dual-circuit brakes and yet had a total failure in the hills of Himachal Pradesh, in the thick of night, if you please. Luckily, no mishaps.

It turned out, on later investigation, that there was leakage in only one pipe, which emptied half the reservoir. The reservoir was a very shallow and broad design with a central weir separating the two chambers. On the steep gradients and bad roads the oil from the filled up half of the reservoir kept getting splashed into the empty portion and getting lost. Finally, pedal hit the floor and the car showed virtually no retardation! There was a working mechanical handbrake that saved the day.
Old 15th February 2009, 19:19   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

In case of a wheel-cylinder failure, the w/c bleeding nut could be screwed into the end of the hydraulic pipe after unscrewing the pipe from the w/c. This was a convention in the old cars we used (Ambys and Premiers). I don't know if it still applies to modern-day cars, but would like to know.
Old 15th February 2009, 19:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if it still applies to modern-day cars, but would like to know.
No idea! Haven't had any such thing happening in years!
In modern cars such ploys will not be required as they all come with dual circuit brakes. There is a very slim chance of a total brake failure.