Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd July 2006, 19:58   #16
Default serendipity

Originally Posted by 2fast4u
use Teflon tape or Threadseal when u plan to get it tightened next time alternatively if u know how to open it diy.
Recently I had someone banging into my LH ORVM at the parking lot. Needlees to say it required replacement. Since this was not available Ex-stock I had to wait for a considerable time. During this period I just used the Masking tape and closed the opening on the LH door to avoid vandalism. I immediately notice considerable reduction in the wind noise levels beyond 80 KMPH. Just to be sure I removed the RH mirror too and did the same thing and lo... the wind sound almost disappeared. There was a slight swish only beyond 100 Kmph.

While refixing these mirrors I used Silicone Gel on the rubber edge beading. Though, the sound has reduced considerably theres still a lot of leak from the Internal adjustment lever area. If I seal the mirror totally then It would be difficult to fold them while parking in tight areas. I think if the designing of these mirrors are more aeor-dynamic then this problem could be solved to a great extent.

Sometimes at 140 kmph or higher, the right rear-view mirror closes slightly. When I roll down my window and try to put my hand out to make the adjustment, the winds on the Expressway are so strong that they sometimes push my hand back!! Have to use some muscle power 2nd July 2006 10:56
At the base of the mirror theres an nylock nut. Use a M10 size socket spanner and thighten it a little, probably about half a thread and not more. Use Anabond/Loctite thread lock adhesive on the screws prior to tightening the mirrors on the door frames. A 5ml packing is available for about 20 bucks.

So long....
varunroy is offline   Reply With Quote