Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 13:21   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,619
Thanked: 160 Times
Exclamation A minor but irritating issue after getting a new Exide battery

My stock Exide battery served me well for almost 5 years and then finally it conked off a month back.

I wanted to get Amaron, so called their Customer Service, the guy told me they don't handle sales & gave me the No of the local distributor, called him & told him what I need, he then gives me another no of dealer near my locality, I was pissed off with this attitude, why should a customer call 3 - 4 different nos to get a new battery!
Since I was happy with the stock Exide battery, I decided to continue with Exide.
So called their Batmobile No, told them what I need. After 10 mins, I get a call from the local dealer that he is trying to get the 50Din battery I asked for & will deliver to my home in 1 hour time.
After 2 hours, he bought the Exide Matrix (5 yr warranty) battery & installed on my car.

Though it is working fine, I am facing a minor issues on cold starts i.e when I start the car after a long duration (like first start in the morning), the car cranks, no issues, but when I switch on any electrical stuff like Headlight, Indicators, Stereo etc, the engine shuts off abruptly!
Sometimes, after I start & drive the car for short distance & then put the side indicator, the engine stalls all of sudden & have to start again.
It is a nuisance when it happens on busy roads.

Pals, Any idea why this issue? And what can be done to rectify it?
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 13:35   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: pune
Posts: 1,243
Thanked: 519 Times
Default

Could be a case of loose connection, check the lugs near battery terminals.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 14:06   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

How long since you changed your battery ? and whats a 50 din battery ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 14:21   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,619
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
How long since you changed your battery ? and whats a 50 din battery ?
It is 5 weeks now since I got the new battery.

DIN is the power spec of the Battery, Palio requires a 50 DIN battery.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 14:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default

call up bat mobile & ask them to look into it.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 14:34   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default

What's the current rating in Ah for your battery? If the current rating of your new battery is higher than the older one then your alternator is not able to charge the battery fully causing the battery to drain overnight.

If your battery is of correct rating check the alternator. Your alternator may be weak and unable to charge battery fully.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 16:30   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,476 Times
Default

before you go after all these, check if terminal wires are aok. if corroded a replacement is in order.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 20:05   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 126
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
My stock Exide battery served me well for almost 5 years and then finally it conked off a month back.

I wanted to get Amaron, so called their Customer Service, the guy told me they don't handle sales & gave me the No of the local distributor, called him & told him what I need, he then gives me another no of dealer near my locality, I was pissed off with this attitude, why should a customer call 3 - 4 different nos to get a new battery!
Since I was happy with the stock Exide battery, I decided to continue with Exide.
So called their Batmobile No, told them what I need. After 10 mins, I get a call from the local dealer that he is trying to get the 50Din battery I asked for & will deliver to my home in 1 hour time.
After 2 hours, he bought the Exide Matrix (5 yr warranty) battery & installed on my car.

Though it is working fine, I am facing a minor issues on cold starts i.e when I start the car after a long duration (like first start in the morning), the car cranks, no issues, but when I switch on any electrical stuff like Headlight, Indicators, Stereo etc, the engine shuts off abruptly!
Sometimes, after I start & drive the car for short distance & then put the side indicator, the engine stalls all of sudden & have to start again.
It is a nuisance when it happens on busy roads.

Pals, Any idea why this issue? And what can be done to rectify it?
Its just a simple case of loose terminals , tighten them properly and your problem is solved.Also check the wire terminal ends , they could have corroded and come loose , but anyways dont worry you dont have a major problem on your hands
sanjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 22:57   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,619
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Thanks Sukiwa, Vid, Jaggu, Tech, Sanjz for the inputs.

I will check the terminals first thing tomorrow.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 23:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,629
Thanked: 10,860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
when I switch on any electrical stuff like Headlight, Indicators, Stereo etc, the engine shuts off abruptly!
Sometimes, after I start & drive the car for short distance & then put the side indicator, the engine stalls all of sudden & have to start again.

Pals, Any idea why this issue? And what can be done to rectify it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
DIN is the power spec of the Battery, Palio requires a 50 DIN battery.
Either your polarity is reversed, or your ECU and auxiliary supplies are short-circuited/reverse polarity connected. Get the connections re-checked by a competent auto electrician. Don't turn on lights/horn when driving, or you could burn out a lot of expensive electronics related to engine management systems. Best not to drive and sort out the issue ASAP.

A DIN battery is an ordinary battery in a special case. The case has a kind of "lip" oe "chin" around its lower end, onto which a clamp fits to retain the case in place. High-end cars like the Merc, BMW, etc., your Palio and my Accent Viva CRDi have DIN batteries. DIN stands for Deutsches Institut für Normung (German Institute for Standardisation), and these batteries have a lower height and that lip at the base (among other things). They are produced in limited numbers in India, and so the higher price (you must have paid around 5k for it?). A regular battery of similar Ah rating will foul the bonnet lid when you place it in the battery box, and you won't be able to clamp it down either (unless you did some home-made modifications).

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 12th February 2009 at 23:21.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 11:59   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,619
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

I checked the battery terminals today morning & finally caught the suspect!

The -ve terminal was not fitted properly (a small portion of the clamp was sticking out of the spindle), so unloosened the clamp, hammered the clamp fully into the spindle & tightened the clamp.

And now when I start the car & switch on any electricals, everything works & engine stays on!

Thanks to everyone who adviced! T-BHP rocks!

Last edited by finneyp : 13th February 2009 at 12:00.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 12:48   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Sometimes the most obvious is ignored.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh No! Exide battery woes again GTO Technical Stuff 325 15th December 2017 18:07
Free Jump starts & Battery help - Exide Batmobile, Mumbai (and other cities) GTO Mumbai 36 28th April 2016 23:50
Most irritating car accessories!! akash_m Modifications & Accessories 419 28th December 2013 08:32
Strange Irritating gas in Wagon R scorpio118 Technical Stuff 19 27th December 2013 13:13
FS: EXIDE 32Ah Battery shrivz Shifting gears 3 24th July 2008 20:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:31.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks