Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th February 2009, 18:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
It is true that Europeans treat Skoda like we know what, but that is only half the story.

The Europeans don't even look at the Asian imports (yes, they exist but are almost invisible
True. Lived in Sweden for a short while and didnt see any Jap cars only German and Swedish. However during my stay in the UK noticed that Jap cars are a plenty. And guess what...even saw a few Tata Safaris and Tatamobiles (!!). Korean vehicles are rare in Northern Europe.

Rgds,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 19:33   #32
Team-BHP Support

In the 80's, japanese cars were restricted. Since the 90's, a lot of them are built in Europe except for Mazda. There is a lot of misplaced patriotism. When I was a child in the UK, my dad was seen as an upstart as he bought a VW. It was only a ford, austin or vauxhall. Renaults ad Peugeots were around but rare. Now german and french cars dominate!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 13:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Well written Ajit. IMO, 45000km is a wayyyy too early to be replacing the timing belt especially for an expensive car like the skoda. Is this true for all octavias or just the vRS ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 13:14   #34
BHPian

Great report Ajmat. It is definitely helpful and can be marked for future reference for all Skoda owners.
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 12:48   #35
BHPian

the suspension noise of my vRS is quiet loud, especially over bad roads.I've got the suspension checked by a reliable mechanic twice and he says its ok.what else could it be?
diven_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 13:12   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

What do you learn? - Buy a car with a timing chain. No belt, no hassles!

I am absolutely serious.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 00:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
What do you learn? - Buy a car with a timing chain. No belt, no hassles!

I am absolutely serious.
That would be the 1st generation of Scorpios, except even Mahindra changed them to a belt because of the noise issue. I can't remember a fast car with a timing chain.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 00:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
That would be the 1st generation of Scorpios, except even Mahindra changed them to a belt because of the noise issue. I can't remember a fast car with a timing chain.
The new mitsubishi 4B1x engines use timing chains. The same is found on the Evolution X
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 01:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Civic switched to timing chain from 2006 onwards. I understand its not a 'fast' car but the engine output is close to what octy vRS makes.
mohit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 01:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

The Civic is fast enough. On these few cars, I stand corrected.

But then it's hardly feasible to buy just 2-3 cars based on this.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 09:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

Skodas were never easy on the wallet. A well-known fact. At least within the confines of TBHP. I'm still stuck on the schematics of their Fabia sales figures. Haven't figured that one out yet..

The running costs of the diesel (1.9 Tdi), however, offsets the maintenance costs if you drive over 2500 kms a month...but then again, it would get very difficult to drive so much thru the weekends, considering that the car would be in the garage for the remaining days of the week..

Of course, I'm exaggerating, but get this. I know of a friend's friend who spent about 3.5 lacs on the tranmission of a Superb, a few months back. The transmission control module failed, and from what I heard (told to the customer by the mech), the torque converter "failed" thereafter. God knows how. 2.5 V6, 163 horses, 35 Kgm. Diesel. I can't do the math. Can you?

Completely off-topic, but don't we think it's about time that a Civic/Accord replaced the red Octy Vrs on the TBhp logo..??
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 10:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
WOW !!!
Thank you soo much sir ajmat !! . Talk about knowing a Vrs inside out.
This thread has put my fears to rest actually. !! Im hoping to get one very very soon myself and this thread is invaluable !!
If one does preventive maintenance ever 40 K km then one should be more than ok . no problems with that .
i really dont mind the timing belt/coils/water pump problems. Have no issues whatsoever in spending 30-35K ever 40,000 Km that i driver her.
Its the least i can do for a engine that puts out that kind of power it does and has to deal with crappy indian roads and crappy fuel .
Heck every service of my esteem cost me atleast 12-15 K anyways . so i dont find this bad at all. I know 12-15K service sounds a lot for a maruti. but thats the only way i ever felt satisfied with my car !!
Synthetic oil , K&N oil filter , injector cleaning , TB clean , Carbon clean Wheel Alignment Brakes Reset . New pads and Discs and brake flluid etc are all done every 10,000 Km maximum on my esteem and new iridium plugs every 20,000 km . Heck i change my Gear oil ever 3000-5000 Km just cause i can feel a difference . Some people call me stupid.. some call me anal.. but thats me
Cheers sir and Thank you very very Much.
Now more than ever im determined to go get me a VRS.. PLEASE HELP
Its good to be back !
Replacing parts before they wear out is not only expensive, we are also doing our environment a disservice as every new part means more pollution and greenhouse gases released in the atmosphere.
I am yet to change my Baleno brake pads after 56k kms. The regular service costs Rs 578 and one with an oil change costs around 2k. No major part changes till now apart from the crankshaft that was replaced under warranty as I continuously complained abut a rough idling in the car.
Keeping my fingers crossed as the 4 year 80k km warranty runs out this year..but till now, no major issues faced apart from getting the AC fuse replaced once and hence without AC for half a day. Even the AC gas has not been topped up or changed.
they tyres were replaced as they had run out their life.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 14:06   #43
BHPian

I second that!!

It is OT but, leaving alone the problems with Skoda's here, I have always wondered why does Tbhp have a RS up there why can't there be any other car..

According to me its not that good a car to be there from so long!! (economically expensive, performance heavily overrated.. in short a good for nothing but show off car*)

Cheers
Shrey

* please do not start the bashing, it is my personal thought about the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Completely off-topic, but don't we think it's about time that a Civic/Accord replaced the red Octy Vrs on the TBhp logo..??
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 17:41   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Why? - Timing belt snapped

How do I know? - Engine may not turn or makes expensive noises when turned

What is the damage? Pistons hammered the valves, if they are waving at you when you lift the engine, ouch

What is THE damage? Officially Rs 150000 for a head rebuild, a lot less if done by a good independent

When can this happen? Around 40000km onwards depending on use, age of belt

What else can it be? bottom ends or something expensive

How do I prevent it ? Ensure belt is inspected during service. Change belt at 45000km (change water pump if not ever done while you are down there in the engine bay)

When i went to the skoda authorised service,people over there said that there is nothing to worry about the timing belts and it needs to be replaced only at 80000.And the manual specifically says that the timing belt replace is at 90000.

I mean the people in skoda should know about all these issues right?Otherwise they would have told a replace at 45000.

At 45000 only an inspection is specified and inspect every 15000 after 45000 till 90000 and replace is at 90000.

The service adviser also comented that if the vehicle is rash driven or ripped hard then the timing belt should be replaced early.

The reason why he told is that there was a major problem for the petes skoda.It was the timing belt issue(thats what he told).

So people out there ripping their machines hard make sure that your wallet is full as it could become empty soon.

Whatever the engine is,if we wount treat it the way it should be,it could be in trouble.I have seen that around 90% of the RS's here at cochin are ripped hard.This is the problem and people complain about the hefty expensive parts and blame the vehicle.If we give a good care for the engine and rip it only when needed(like if you realy want it),the engine could last long.One of our team bhp mate has his vrs which have been driven above 1 k and said had no major problems till present.

Anyway after reading this post i will be taking my vehicle for thorough check up to skoda tomorrow.

Need your sugestions people.RS owners please come in and drop your suggestions and long term owner ship reports.

Hafi
HAFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 17:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Because, at its release, it was the only reasonably priced performance oriented car, period. Since then, owners have clocked tens of thousands of kilometers on them, found out how it ages and how much it costs in long term maintenance.

Competition has come in terms of the Civic and the new Corolla with their Japanese reliability and low running costs, even if they are down on pure BHP.* This happens in any evolving market.

* - Not so sure on how vRS and Civic release dates are related, so I might as well be talking out of my arse here
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote