Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th February 2009, 02:26   #1
BHPian

Default Digital Speed In New Honda City !

does anyone know how to get the digital speed like the one in civic in the new honda city. I have seen the showroom guy do it so I am pretty sure its possible but dont remember how its done. When this system is activated, the music system doesnt work and instead the speed is displayed in its display.
manujkansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 21:36   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't bother, digital speedos only have a novelty value which wear off with time. I have a digital speedo option in my C220, but prefer the analog dials any which day. The showroom guy has obviously found a hack, but whats the point?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 22:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manujkansal View Post
does anyone know how to get the digital speed like the one in civic in the new honda city. I have seen the showroom guy do it so I am pretty sure its possible but dont remember how its done. When this system is activated, the music system doesnt work and instead the speed is displayed in its display.
Digital speedos are like digital watches. Completely passe. Analog instruments look much better. Dont bother about the bling value. As GTO rightly says, the novelty will pass and wont be of much use thereafter. And more importantly, dont hack the electronics or you will void your warranty.

Rgds,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 22:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

If the digital speedo is displayed on the ICE, what's the point? Anything that forces you to take your eyes off the road is a distraction and as such, dangerous.

The speedo on the Civic sits right in your field of vision and it is part of the whole space ship dash thing Honda has going for in it. I think it'll look out of place in the City. The Civic dash is one of the very few ones where a digital speedo looks good and keeps like it over time. In any other car, give me proper dials.

On a tangent, the Lexus IS-F has one of the most amazing dashes I've ever seen.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 23:19   #5
BHPian

i found it. when the system is on power off mode, press the up n down arrow buttons simultaneously and then press the power button. after that just press the right arrow button and you will have the digital speed.

and i know that its not very imp but its just good to know something diff.
manujkansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 10:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Ages ago I had borrowed a friends MG Maestro in the UK with a Digital panel. There was also a voice alert for malfuntions. I found it a pain in the .... . Only good thing was that you could switch between mph ans kph as a parlour trick. There was a very intrusive alert which (could not be switched off) kept on shouting 'alternator not charging' in a very annoying nasal female voice, while there was no problem.

I fully agree that a Micky Mouse display (what the digital display is often called) is a novelty which wears off very fast.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 13:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
Digital speedos are like digital watches. Completely passe.
I don't think digital watches are outdated. Although it may not look good, it's still good for globe trotters and for all-terrain purpose.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote