Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th February 2009, 09:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

well i guess that will remain the same in case of people sitting in the car also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Consumption of fuel increases exponentially. I have myself observed that Alto gave mileage of 11 km/lt when loaded with dead weight in boot.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 10:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
well i guess that will remain the same in case of people sitting in the car also.
I guess cars with high torque (like common rail diesels) will show little difference when loaded vs unloaded. Not sure though.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 14:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Consumption of fuel increases exponentially. I have myself observed that Alto gave mileage of 11 km/lt when loaded with dead weight in boot.
even when the car is loaded with say 5 people and luggage in the boot there is no drastic change in mileage. in my last 500 kms trip while going 250 kms my average was 19.5 and while coming it was 19.2, with 3 people addition with some luggage. i dont see major effect of loading here.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 15:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Along with suspension and tyres wearing out quicker than normal, braking is definitely an issue as mentioned. I have noticed this on my Zen, when it was loaded with all kinds of luggage ranging from cushions to suitcases to fruit baskets!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 15:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

if you do overloading like towing another car or so definitely clutch will get effected. there is always a safety limit while designing each and every automobile parts, but above this they surely fail.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 20:48   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Car Overloading - Harmful effects

Talking about overloaded vehicles - i doubt anyone in India can top this:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/vid...0-people-video

It doesnt look bigger than an Eeco
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 21:55   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Car Overloading - Harmful effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Is there any other problems caused by car overloading other than suspension & tyre damage ?

What about the chassis ?
As mentioned by the other members, overloading takes a toll on tyre, suspension and clutch. Also, the braking is affected; increasing the stopping distance. This is dangerous to others on the road too.

About chasis: The modern cars do not have a separate ladder type chasis. They are monocoque. The car shell (or body) itself is taking the load. With overloading, the welds in the body may come apart, the body may deform. Clutch or brake damage can be repaired but damages to monocoque body are costly and difficult to repair.

Another problem with overloading: In case of accident, the insurance company will deny the damage claims or life claims if the car was found overloaded.

In case of traffic violations, the cops will slap additional fine for overloading.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote