Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th December 2009, 15:41   #376
BHPian

Surprisingly no one in Mumbai service stations is aware of this firmware upgrade thingie. When I asked the service engineer he seemed very puzzled & in fact asked where I came to know of such a thing. Any 1 in Mumbai has got this done?
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 15:50   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
maverick, how about getting some fluorescent stickers
My dear friend how will the flourescent shine in the night? Good idea but difficult to implement. 1 of my smart friends also suggested that I keep my roof light on at all times so people can see things more clearly inside the car. Come on gimme a decent & implementable suggestion... Look forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Strange. Ive been using Accent since a long time. It doesnt come with light on PW and not even once me or anyone has actually searched for the button. Im quiet sure majority of the cars doesnt come with lights on PW even then its easy to find the button.. dont you think so?
I guess there seems to be some confusion. I have driven my cousin's accent so many times & the PW switches very much lit up. Inn fact the switches in the accent are quite good to use & also bright yellow. Not majority but ALL cars come with the buttons lit up.
I agree that its might not be difficult to locate the PW switch, however my dad is not that young & he has grown up in the good old Ambassador days when such a thing didnt even exist. He is used to searching for the light instead of the button. Also when the light is not there he tends to assume that the button is not functioning.

My question remains unanswered ---> Can we fit buttons from a Safari or any other Tata Model?
Old 8th December 2009, 17:05   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post

I guess there seems to be some confusion. I have driven my cousin's accent so many times & the PW switches very much lit up. Inn fact the switches in the accent are quite good to use & also bright yellow. Not majority but ALL cars come with the buttons lit up.
Is it??? now im confused. i can hardly remember the PW button of my car now. Man, work pressure is making me go nuts . Will go home in the night and check the same.
livyodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 18:26   #379
BHPian

Quote:
DieselAddikt, tata has been rolling out a firmware update to the ECU to fix an issue w.r.t insufficient AC cooling. This is usually done when the car is given for service. This is a recent development. Please search this thread for more info

Hmmm... The service advisor did not tell me anything about an update being done. If they were to do it, they should have informed me right ? Will check with him regarding that. And will wait for a few more diesel top ups before writing it off as a bad mileage issue. Hope there is nothing major.

And one more thing. The car does speeds of 120 very easily. It is smooth and there are no vibrations whatsoever. But once i tap the brakes, the brake pedal and steering vibrates like hell. Feels as if the whole thing is going to go loose. It is very very irritating. Does that have anything to do with wheel balancing ? I have already done wheel balancing once. I use 6J rims with 175/60R14 tyres. Will that be a problem ?

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 8th December 2009 at 18:31.
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 18:37   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
And one more thing. The car does speeds of 120 very easily. It is smooth and there are no vibrations whatsoever. But once i tap the brakes, the brake pedal and steering vibrates like hell. Feels as if the whole thing is going to go loose. It is very very irritating. Does that have anything to do with wheel balancing ? I have already done wheel balancing once. I use 6J rims with 175/60R14 tyres. Will that be a problem ?
This problem generally happens due to brake disc or drum bending/warping. I was also facing this problem but in my servicing they changed front discs under warranty, now this problem has gone. I am still wondering how come they changed discs under warranty because it comes under wearing part category. Front two discs costs approx Rs.1400. Change them under warranty.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 18:49   #381
BHPian

@sushantr5

That was a good pointer. I also felt there is something wrong somewhere other than the tyres. At times in bumber to bumber traffic, I have felt the car braking irregularly when i slowly keep my leg on the brake pedal. Feels like discs are scrapping the pads at regular intervals. But I could feel it only twice or thrice. Now how does the discs bend on a new car ? Will that be a manufacturing defect ?
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 19:06   #382
BHPian

Nope it is not manufacturing defect to say. When we apply sudden heavy brake when discs are hot then this action causes discs warping. This can happen to any car. General practice to get away with this defect is that, turn the disc(on lathe machine) and remove uneven material from disc surface. This will require Rs.200 to 300. But I will recommend change.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 19:45   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
This is my own query, so adding a new post:
Can I replace the Power Window switches in the Vista? I am tired of the light in the switch going off every few weeks. Replacements take their own sweet time to come & this leads to people actually searching for the switch in the night. My father in paeticular complains bitterly about this. To make matters worse it tends to happen on the left front door, where he always tends to sit.
Can some 1 help me... Quickly please...
Hmph, my PW switches were working perfectly for the one month that I had it before the first service. Now after the first service, none of the 7 switches have the lights working. I don't think the lights are there at all. I think they removed it and put it on some other car for want of spares. :(

Quote:
DieselAddikt, tata has been rolling out a firmware update to the ECU to fix an issue w.r.t insufficient AC cooling. This is usually done when the car is given for service. This is a recent development. Please search this thread for more info
I got my car serviced last week and there was no mention of any ECU upgrade. I have a petrol Vista however.
herculesksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 12:26   #384
BHPian

Quote:
I gave my vehicle for 2nd service today in Pune. Talked to the service guys about the ECU update. "No" was the answer. They were not even aware of this. This service center is within 5kms from TATA MOTORS.
faridsahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 12:29   #385
rkg
Senior - BHPian

ECU update for AC was done in sept/oct 2009. In Bangalore concorde guys called all vista owners and did it.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 13:19   #386
BHPian

Default Most Initial niggles resolved

I got mine in Nov. and it seems most of the initial niggles/issues like AC not cooling, bonnet/boot not closing/openig, door beedings etc have been resolved, as I have not faced any of these issues except the one which is PW button led light, even mine has stopped working for one of left side doors but that is a minor issue. Apart from that car is a dream to drive at high speeds, way too comfortable, gears engage with assuring clicks and overall comfort is supreme, I can bet even H city can't beat it.
One thing I'm struggling is the rev matching with car speed specially when I shift from first to second at higher speed say 20-22, do let me know if there is a trick to do/learn it smoothly.
rajdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 13:37   #387
BHPian

Has anyone used synthetic oil for the QJD? Which oil did you use and how much was the cost? Am planning to change the oil to synthetic at my 10K service this week
vista_qjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 17:43   #388
BHPian

Hey Raj, sorry to sound bad, but I am happy that I am not alone in the Power Window switch light failing very easily.
GUYS, come on we all need to put our thinking caps on & come with a solution to this problem... & that too quickly.
Old 9th December 2009, 18:06   #389
Senior - BHPian

there is only one solution, and tata is changing the vendor/design of the switch. the switches have been drawing flak for being the fly in the otherwise fabulous manza ointment

till then, wait. or find out how to do it yourself. If I'd had a manza, I'd have done it myself, but since I cant, too bad !
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 22:40   #390
BHPian

My sis bought a vista aura safire a month back. Infact service due tomorrow with 960 km on the odo. Car is quite smooth , driveable , great space inside and everything seems to be in place with no lack of refinement as was in earlier Indica models.
But 2 concerns ---
1) At low speeds in 3 rd gear , even with the clutch engaged , the brake pad refuses to depress and alarmingly car seems to gather some speed. This has happened quite regularly . And u get out of this situation only by upshifting.
Very scary at bumper to bumper.
Is the alternature malfunctioning ? in view of the temporary brake failure?
The moment you upshift to say 2nd , the brakes engage again and car behaves normally.
And at the time of episode , the battery light doesnt come on though i may be wrong as its difficult to look at the central console at that time.
Its happened thrice with me , the first time on day one when i drove the car home form the dealer.
Anybody has had this problem ?
2) the gear doesnt slot well in the fifth though i have not experinced this she complains about this.
Urgent feedback needed as the service is to be done tomorrow. I dont want them to bullshit and give the car back as it is as otherwise she seems perfect.
thanks
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote