Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th December 2009, 11:18   #436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
^No Idea ,@janitha What do I need to Do to enable "remote less central locking"(if terra has)? .I am Yet to read Owner's Manual.thanks for the wishes.
--
BTW ,Few doubts:
1)Do We Need to Check Wheel Balancing& Alignment in New Car?(TASS recommended this to Me).
2)If I fit remote central locking outside TASS ,Will it void ECU Warranty?(They Hinted on this)
What I meant was that when the driver side door is locked using key, all the doors get locked. No need to enable.
1. I don't know why it is needed. The car is expected to come in a perfect condition. I got alignment done outside at 5000kms.
2. May be because outside electricians may tamper with the wiring. I got even the Roots horn fitted at the TASS, though it would have been really cheap outside.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 08:11   #437

Default Faulty Glow Plug

Hi,

I've just bought an Indica Vista Quarajet Aura on the 22nd Dec 2009. This is the first diesel car I have bought.

This query is about the glow plugs.

On day one itself, the "Service Indicator" indicator on the instrument cluster stayed on after starting the engine. Also the "glow Plug" indicator on the instrument cluster stayed on after starting the engine. According to the manual , both the indicators will turn off after the engine is started.

I took the car immediately to the service center, where it was diagnosed via the ECU software, that one of the three glow plugs was faulty and it didn't get any current. The error on the ECU was P0683.

The dealer replaced the faulty glow after a couple of days - due to a shortage of this spare part. The mechanic told me to use the car in the interim as the glow plugs just assist in the starting of a cold engine and there would be no damage to the engine even if it started without the glow plugs.

The glow plug was replaced, the ECU diagnostic was run once again, the status displayed was "NO DTC".

I have four questions.

1) Will the glow plugs not working spoil the engine?

2) If the glow plugs don't work, the mechanic said something to the tune of that "this advanced engine will compensate by releasing additional quantity of fuel into the cylinders and start". Is he correct?

3) Does "No DTC" mean that the engine is running fine?

4) Since I got a car with a faulty glow plug, am I entitled to ask to replace the engine?

Regards
Zurvaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 12:35   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurvaan View Post
1) Will the glow plugs not working spoil the engine?
No. It will prevent your car from starting.

Quote:
2) If the glow plugs don't work, the mechanic said something to the tune of that "this advanced engine will compensate by releasing additional quantity of fuel into the cylinders and start". Is he correct?
The usual techie BS. More fuel when it's already too cold to start will not help.

Quote:
3) Does "No DTC" mean that the engine is running fine?
No DTC means no errors logged. The ECU feels nothing is wrong.

Quote:
4) Since I got a car with a faulty glow plug, am I entitled to ask to replace the engine?

Regards
Hah! Good luck getting that through TATA. There is a Safari on here owned by tsk which had nearly everything on the engine cylinder head and associated electronics changed (lakhs and lakhs worth of parts) under warranty and it still doesn't work right. TATA hasn't done an engine replacement on that yet.

As far as part failures go, it's a minor failure caused by bad QC on TATA's part, which isn't a big surprise.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 12:52   #439
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Congratulations.

Quote:
What do I need to Do to enable "remote less central locking"(if terra has)? .I am Yet to read Owner's Manual
The Terra model does not have central locking. The lock symbol is for the immobilizer which is standard for all variants.

Quote:
1)Do We Need to Check Wheel Balancing& Alignment in New Car?(TASS recommended this to Me).--
No, usually.

Quote:
2)If I fit remote central locking outside TASS ,Will it void ECU Warranty?(They Hinted on this)
Strictly speaking, yes. For my Marina except for the alloys, all other extras that I have put were from outside. But do not take unnecessary risks.

Who was the dealer?

Small scratches do happen.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 21:20   #440
Senior - BHPian

@trrk:thanks.dealer is concorde,ekm.
BTW ,I did a 200kms(total kms) trip today and Took the car till 80kmph speed.Do QJD Vista needs running-in ?Owner's Manual do tells about to restrict speeds IIRC.How many kms for running-in? 1500kms? Is it recommended to change Oil+Oil Filter on 1st free service or 1000kms?

Last edited by deepclutch : 26th December 2009 at 21:22.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 09:34   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@trrk:thanks.dealer is concorde,ekm.
BTW ,I did a 200kms(total kms) trip today and Took the car till 80kmph speed.Do QJD Vista needs running-in ?Owner's Manual do tells about to restrict speeds IIRC.How many kms for running-in? 1500kms? Is it recommended to change Oil+Oil Filter on 1st free service or 1000kms?
running in a good practise to break-in any new engine. 1.5K run-in should be good. Dont try to over rev the car during the run-in period.
Vista QDJ does not need oil change in first service. You dont have to change any fluids during the first 2 services, IIRC.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 11:40   #442
BHPian

Nothing new to add here:-

Front suspension making noise while crossing speed breakers only in the morning.
Funny incident:- gave my car to valet at Sheraton Gurgaon, came back the driver actually came out from the pessenger side door because he got locked in. And I was standing with our firang delegate of ours while this was happening. Everybody was amazed to see what was going on. I had only one clarification that it is a new car may be the guy is not aware of the systems..which seemed to be have not gone down very well with the german delegate. His comment was "Nice car, Indian"?

Secondly the beeding is still not fixed on the roof top but it is not bothering me anymore cause I have learnt to ignore it.

and last but not the least "read my signature".
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 13:32   #443
BHPian

Very Urgent Quick Question to All Vista owners

I am getting brand new Goodyear GT3 replaced under warranty though I have completed 30000 KMs on my Vista . I have to pay 50% cost of the new to get these new tires. But the problem is that I dont want Goodyear GT3 again. I want Michelin XM1+. I just wanted to know how much money I will get if I decide to sell these Brand New unused tires. And then I will buy Michelin XM1+. Please help me.

Now how am I getting these tires under warranty? Are you facing steering wobble problem? I am facing that and this is because faulty Goodyear GT3. I will post the process of getting it replaced once I am done with this. But before that Please answer my query.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 19:17   #444
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Took the car till 80kmph speed.Do QJD Vista needs running-in ?Owner's Manual do tells about to restrict speeds IIRC.How many kms for running-in? 1500kms? Is it recommended to change Oil+Oil Filter on 1st free service or 1000kms?
Usually Tata cars have a sticker - right top corner - for the running in / optimum mileage etc (was there in my Indica and Marina).

Unless you cross the Kerala boder, you can drive as usual. It won't be against the running in principles. If you travel the 4 lane parts, don't go in the same speed / rpm for long. Change gears at the appropriate speeds.

For service, I strictly go by the book.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 20:24   #445
BHPian

Lightbulb Pump up the TDi

This is my first diesel... so all other Oil heads please excuse me if i am stating something obvious here. I parked my 2 month 0ld Vista( Terra TDi) on a slope (left side of car was on downward part of slope) for about 20-30 minutes. After i returned i cranked the engine but it just shuddered and did not fire up. All was okay) Fuel, engine temp etc... I then remembered something in the users manual about a rubber manual pump (black Rubber Bulb) on the fuel line. Thought i'd give it a shot. Popped open the hood and squeezed the rubber bulb (soft) till i felt some firmness in it. Hopped into the seat again and cranked my baby up.......Vrooom!! man what a relief! Guys, This happens also if you have an air block... so you know what to do when she doesn't crank up! Happy driving!
boohooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 12:42   #446
BHPian

Guys - What would be the best tyre replacement for the Vista Quadrajet? I know the XM1's are neat, but I have had a bad experience with them on our Tavera. One of the tyres actually burst & later the dealer told us that since these tyres were of a softer compound alloys were warranted. However I feel that it was just an excuse, because nothing happened to the other 4 tyres.
I am also contemplating changing the tyres & the rims together at 20K km, car has already covered 16K. How good would that be?
Lastly can I upgrade to say 185/65/R14 or 195/70/R14? How will the change in the size affect the handling, fuel efficiency & most importantly the very irritating tyre noise. This is 1 thing which HAS TO BE eliminated.

Last edited by Maverick1977 : 30th December 2009 at 12:45.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 12:48   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Guys - What would be the best tyre replacement for the Vista Quadrajet? I know the XM1's are neat, but I have had a bad experience with them on our Tavera. One of the tyres actually burst & later the dealer told us that since these tyres were of a softer compound alloys were warranted. However I feel that it was just an excuse, because nothing happened to the other 4 tyres.
I am also contemplating changing the tyres & the rims together at 20K km, car has already covered 16K. How good would that be?
Lastly can I upgrade to say 185/65/R14 or 195/70/R14? How will the change in the size affect the handling, fuel efficiency & most importantly the very irritating tyre noise. This is 1 thing which HAS TO BE eliminated.
Michelins XM1+ is the answer as you know. FOr how much are you getting these tires?
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 14:38   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Michelins XM1+ is the answer as you know. FOr how much are you getting these tires?
Thats a pretty expected reply. However my 2 questions still remain unanswered:
1) Should I change to alloys along with the change in tyres?
2) What diff will it make if I upgrade?
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 14:59   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I am getting brand new Goodyear GT3 replaced under warranty though I have completed 30000 KMs on my Vista . I have to pay 50% cost of the new to get these new tires. But the problem is that I dont want Goodyear GT3 again. I want Michelin XM1+. I just wanted to know how much money I will get if I decide to sell these Brand New unused tires.
You would get best buyback value if traded with another tyre immediately (Michelin in your case). Strike a deal with Michelin tyre dealer before you get Goodyear GT3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
1) Should I change to alloys along with the change in tyres?
2) What diff will it make if I upgrade?
1. Your choice. Tubeless tyres are better with Alloys. But, that doesn't mean tubeless tyres should not be used with steel wheels.
2. Decide what for do you want to upgrade. Do you want better handling, comfort or cornering? If you just want to reduce tyre noise, switch to better tyre brand like Michelin, Yokohama, Continental.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 14:30   #450
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Congratulations.

The Terra model does not have central locking. The lock symbol is for the immobilizer which is standard for all variants.

No, usually.

Strictly speaking, yes. For my Marina except for the alloys, all other extras that I have put were from outside. But do not take unnecessary risks.

Who was the dealer?

Small scratches do happen.
thanks for the replies.BTW ,How do Immobilizer works ?Anyways ,I will be fitting central locking soon.

I bought from Concorde Cochin.
--
Few Queries:
1) like Turbo Diesel Engines ,Do We Need to Idle the Car for Few Seconds before starting and stopping the Engine in Quadrajet Vista's?
2)I read in this thread IIRC ,that Some Cost Cutting Measures are taken by TATA on later Models of Vista(post july 2009?).This Means Cars Manufactured earlier had a better Quality Interior,Parts like ORVM,Plastics etc ?(Sorry for newbie-ish question).

3)In My Vista QJD, A/C works good in recirculation Mode.But ,during noon time as well as by switching to fresh air intake mode ,It is almost not cooling well(I am yet to fix sunfilm).

I am thinking of visiting dealer workshop on january 2nd week(after registration).So ,Do I need to update the ECU Firmware for fixing A/C issue.regarding ECU Firmware,read the update can affect Fuel Efficiency adversely.

Do Concorde and other TATA Car dealer Workshops in Kerala aware of this ECU firmware update.

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

Last edited by deepclutch : 31st December 2009 at 14:34.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote