Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st December 2009, 15:14   #451
BHPian

Quote:
1) like Turbo Diesel Engines ,Do We Need to Idle the Car for Few Seconds before starting and stopping the Engine in Quadrajet Vista's?
Yes idling is recommended because of Turbo. Every Turbo car needs this. Even this is described on wikipedia, search for turbocharger to find an article. You will find good explanation why it is needed.

Quote:
2)I read in this thread IIRC ,that Some Cost Cutting Measures are taken by TATA on later Models of Vista(post july 2009?).This Means Cars Manufactured earlier had a better Quality Interior,Parts like ORVM,Plastics etc ?(Sorry for newbie-ish question).
I am not sure. But I think plastic quality should be improved one.

Quote:
3)In My Vista QJD, A/C works good in recirculation Mode.But ,during noon time as well as by switching to fresh air intake mode ,It is almost not cooling well(I am yet to fix sunfilm).
Filming helps a lot. Vista has huge cabin space and very very big front windscreen which affect AC performance.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 16:08   #452

I regret the question, but what is ECU?
adilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 16:29   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilip View Post
I regret the question, but what is ECU?
ECU stands for Electronic Control Unit or Engine Control Unit. Nowadays on modern engines everything is controlled by Onboard computer which resides in ECU unit. Common Rail Diesel Engines leverages most from it as Every engine parameter is controled by ECU.
Right from fuel injection quantity, timings to load calculation, AC control, Engine control everything happens in this smart unit.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 31st December 2009 at 16:32.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 18:52   #454
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
How do Immobilizer works ?Anyways ,I will be fitting central locking soon.
The ECU and a chip in the key fob exchange some codes and if not matching would not allow starting of the car.

Quote:
1) like Turbo Diesel Engines ,Do We Need to Idle the Car for Few Seconds before starting and stopping the Engine in Quadrajet Vista's?
Sushant has given you the appropriate advice and it would be better to follow the procedure especially if it is mentioned in the user manual. Me, I don't give that idling treatment to my Marina!

Quote:
This Means Cars Manufactured earlier had a better Quality Interior,Parts like ORVM,Plastics etc ?(Sorry for newbie-ish question).
How do you feel about the quality of the items in your car? If it is fine, don't bother about such things.

Quote:
3)In My Vista QJD, A/C works good in recirculation Mode.But ,during noon time as well as by switching to fresh air intake mode ,It is almost not cooling well(I am yet to fix sunfilm).
In our climates, fresh air is not going to cool properly and so try to remain with the recirculation mode. Use the temperature control knob judiciously. Unless there are rear passengers in my Marina, temperature knob somewhere close to the blue / white junction on the white side and maybe blower at 3rd speed would suffice in the hottest day time that I have encountered.

Sun film would definitely help!

Quote:
So ,Do I need to update the ECU Firmware for fixing A/C issue.regarding ECU Firmware,read the update can affect Fuel Efficiency adversely.
Have a thought about that after fixing sun film.

Quote:
Do Concorde and other TATA Car dealer Workshops in Kerala aware of this ECU firmware update.
Only they can tell, sorry.

> Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

How else would you learn new things?
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 21:31   #455
BHPian

Hi,
I've just completed 5k kms on my vista aura. I have two queries which I hope knowledgeable friends can answer.
1. Have any of you fitted the vista with a Pete's box? If so, what are the advantages you have observed, power/economy wise? Will fitting a Pete's box void the warranty?
2. I have observed that vista's engine is more noisy during idling when compared to Swift/Ritz, even though they are the same engines. How do we reduce this noise? Is it possible to have one more layer of felt under the bonnet to reduce the noise?
nitindangoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 21:40   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitindangoria View Post
Hi,
I've just completed 5k kms on my vista aura. I have two queries which I hope knowledgeable friends can answer.
1. Have any of you fitted the vista with a Pete's box? If so, what are the advantages you have observed, power/economy wise? Will fitting a Pete's box void the warranty?
2. I have observed that vista's engine is more noisy during idling when compared to Swift/Ritz, even though they are the same engines. How do we reduce this noise? Is it possible to have one more layer of felt under the bonnet to reduce the noise?
I too have been wondering how to lower the noise. In my case it is not too noisy, but lowering it still may make it comparable to a petrol one. Even now the pump guys are asking if it is Petrol, when the engine is running.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 22:51   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk
How do you feel about the quality of the items in your car? If it is fine, don't bother about such things.
I feel the right side rear door's handle is making a noise when gripped.signs of not so good plastic quality.There is a Panel gap in the left side ceiling in front(while right side is OK) which also are tell-tale signs of poor quality practices.Remote Fuel Lid Opener not works most of the times and this is a brand new car!-All this has to be reported on 1st Free Service.
--
Hope it is not Off Topic: Anyone fixed floor cover (Don't know the exact term and I am not talking about floor mats!) on your Vista?Is it really useful?I happened to travel in a brand new Indica DLS Today and the floor covering done in Poly Sheet seems to Me helpful preventing the dust/water entering the floor fabric.A Car Accessories/Seat Cover Shop Quoted around 1200 Rupees for the job(Irrespective of the Colour).Anyone Tried this ,Please reply.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 23:42   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Hope it is not Off Topic: Anyone fixed floor cover (Don't know the exact term and I am not talking about floor mats!) on your Vista?Is it really useful?I happened to travel in a brand new Indica DLS Today and the floor covering done in Poly Sheet seems to Me helpful preventing the dust/water entering the floor fabric.A Car Accessories/Seat Cover Shop Quoted around 1200 Rupees for the job(Irrespective of the Colour).Anyone Tried this ,Please reply.
Yes, it is useful and I had got it done soon after purchase. If I remember correct, it was less than Rs.1000/-. They fixed the pieces with superglue.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 23:57   #459
Senior - BHPian

@janitha:

they Showed Me 2 Types.One being 850 Rupees(just checked) and Other for Rs 1200(Visibly better in quality) I remember.You can feel from the thickness and the material quality.Usually ,the shops have samples of these 2 types along with available colours -3 or 4 colours including red(?),beige,grey etc.
Thanks for the feedback.Will be Doing it for sure and will post the pictures too.

--

Last edited by deepclutch : 2nd January 2010 at 00:16.
Old 4th January 2010, 13:02   #460
BHPian

Is there any company which fixes such a cover. I have never even heard about something like this in Mumbai.
As far as noise is concerned you will be surprised to know that its the engine cover (mounting) which is making the engine sound louder than what it is. I have already brought this to the notice of Tata Motors & they have reverted saying that they would be looking into this. Apply some extra rubber on the mounting & the engine is as silent as a church mouse.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 13:38   #461
Senior - BHPian

Although the New Indica (vista) is much ahead of its predecessor in terms of quality, fit and finish etc. but it certainly falls short in proving its reliability. Recently a friend of mine bought Tata indica vista safire and after driving it for few days he noticed that the car was wobbling too much when he tried to increase the speed.
Another strange thing what he found was when he replaced the original music system "the so called double din system" he found that it was a single din system with a double din face. Quite a strange thing.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 19:48   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Yes, it is useful and I had got it done soon after purchase. If I remember correct, it was less than Rs.1000/-. They fixed the pieces with superglue.
Actually ,Here they fix only corners with Glue.
Was busy with Registering the Car.Will have to inquire in few more shops regarding seat covers& floor cover work.

@Maverick1977:I am sure You can ask any Major Car Accessories/Upholstery/Seat Covers Shops They knows this thing.Vouch - as in My Small town too I can find many such shops.

I am told ,Mostly taxis are having this floor covering done so as to save from vomiting and other watery/dusty things enter in contact with the floor fabric.But ,Lazy Guys Like Me will need this.
--
Old 6th January 2010, 23:36   #463
BHPian

Default Battery problem maruti 800

3 days back drove the car early morning for around 25 kms -no starting problems at all and then parked the car till night time.when i tried the car at night-the autocop was not working and the car refused to even start.No lights were left on.Suspected initially the cig lighter fitted a few days back for on car charging of my new satguide.next day called maruti On road service of kapico hyd.Excellent courteous staff-Mr Naidu came with me to the stranded car and set it right by using his battery.i then kept the car running for about 30 mins.After that no problems again.there was some green scum observed on the terminals and according to him this was the result of battery not charging.Advise to put some hot water on the terminals occasionally and clean the terminals.
Any ideas from you guys if this explanation is ok.Battery is 1.5 yrs old Recently serviced with water levels topped up AMCO-not a lot of mileage around 8000 kms done with the new battery.Car re
Planning a long trip dont want any breakdowns.hence pls advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
On Saturday I faced breakdown of Vista on Road.

Actually we were traveling from Pune to Hubli for one of my friends wedding ceremony. At kolhapur we had a halt and next day morning we had planned to start for Hubli in afternoon. But suddenly my car refused to start. We called up mechanic he said battery is ok then he guessed that starter might be having some problem. Then we did Dhakka Start. It worked fine. We parked my car to one of my friends house and took his car for next journey. But you can imagine my mood by that time. I was in good mood before and was planning to write this as a travelogue. But after this incidence I did travel only for wedding.

Next day we came back to kolhapur and just gave a try to start a car. It started immediately and drove back to Pune with stopping engine. Today I have given it to B U Bhandari. Lets see what comes out?

Battery is fine and Car starts for only one time after 5 hours gap then it refuses to start. Experts what do you think what is the problem?
fergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 01:02   #464
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Fitted My Car with "Floor Matting"(local word for floor covering) and tight fit seat covers(Grey with centre areas beige colour) today.(On Request,I can post a pic) .

The rear seat cover covered the seat belt clip spaces as well;too late now to correct?.
Costed Me Rs 2700+1200=3900 .
--
almost 2 weeks after I purchased Vista Terra QJD(and 700kms on Odo).
Few Issues ,I noticed are:
1)Is the Good Year Tyres Noisy?(flying bug noise alike)Especially when travelling through not so good surfaced road.while in highway It is not much audible.Front Suspension makes a "Hush" sound as well while going through speed breaker/*ump .Doubt Whether it is the tyres or front suspensions ,the Culprit.

2)What is the use of the switch provided below driver's seat (not yet to read owner's manual fully )

Thanks!
Old 7th January 2010, 12:30   #465
BHPian

Gosh, there's a switch below the driver's seat? I will make it a point to see it whilst on my way back home.
Guys - did U all see pics of the Vista S. Car looks very good, but I was wondering if the same treatment can be done to our existing Vistas also. Most of the stuff looked like simple replacements, but this can be verified only post the car coming to the showrooms.
Also has any one done any kind of modification to their existing Vista? If so please post pics & details of the same.
I was also wondering if the Linea engine & gear box can be plonked into the Vista? Its already doing duty in the Manza & now in the Punto, so why not in the Vista. I am sure Tata might not do this in the near future at least, but can we as an individual do it is the question.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote