Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th September 2010, 12:55   #616
BHPian

After quite some time, I have started noticing 1 more feature in my car which is annoying & sometimes I feel also might tun out to be dangerous.
I feel quite a bit of wobbling on my steering wheel these days. This is especially true on WET roads. However surprisingly if its raining heavily this is minimum, but when the roads are wet & its not raining its maximum. Its the least on dry roads.
I got the alignment checked, its perfect. Checked tyre pressure - F: 32, R:30. Doesnt seem to be a problem with that also.
Reported it to Tata service & they told me that the problem is with the tyres. The car has just run 23K km, so I am very surprised that the tyres mgith need to be changed. Tread on the tyre is also sufficient & I also dont see any uneven wear & tear. Wheel balancing has also been sometime back.
Can any 1 please tell me what the problem could be. I dont want to change the tyres and again experience the same feeling and then realize that the problem is something else only.
I was also on the verge of buying a set of alloy's, but now with this problem I have applied brakes to my plan.
Any kind of insight will be highly appreciated.
Maverick1977 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 08:30   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
After quite some time, I have started noticing 1 more feature in my car which is annoying & sometimes I feel also might tun out to be dangerous.
I feel quite a bit of wobbling on my steering wheel these days. This is especially true on WET roads. However surprisingly if its raining heavily this is minimum, but when the roads are wet & its not raining its maximum. Its the least on dry roads.
I got the alignment checked, its perfect. Checked tyre pressure - F: 32, R:30. Doesnt seem to be a problem with that also.
Reported it to Tata service & they told me that the problem is with the tyres. The car has just run 23K km, so I am very surprised that the tyres mgith need to be changed. Tread on the tyre is also sufficient & I also dont see any uneven wear & tear. Wheel balancing has also been sometime back.
Can any 1 please tell me what the problem could be. I dont want to change the tyres and again experience the same feeling and then realize that the problem is something else only.
I was also on the verge of buying a set of alloy's, but now with this problem I have applied brakes to my plan.
Stock Goodyear GT3 has wobbling issue. My car had this same issue and gone after tire change. But I lived with this wobbling for 45k KMS. This can be ignorable in extent.

My Service Center pointed out problem before me and said Goodyear can change tires in warranty. That time I had completed 29k kms. Service center guided me to complaint procedure at Goodyear. I complained but nothing happened after that.

But anyway now things are pretty fine and I am happy.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 09:05   #618
BHPian

My steering wobbles/ vibrates after I cross say 110-120kmph is that issue related to tyres, allignment or something serious brewing under the hood?
My car is now 1 year old and clocked 17985kms
cheers!!
schitre05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 10:39   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Stock Goodyear GT3 has wobbling issue. My car had this same issue and gone after tire change. But I lived with this wobbling for 45k KMS. This can be ignorable in extent.

My Service Center pointed out problem before me and said Goodyear can change tires in warranty. That time I had completed 29k kms. Service center guided me to complaint procedure at Goodyear. I complained but nothing happened after that.

But anyway now things are pretty fine and I am happy.
I had a Problem of Steering Vibration(to Left Right in small gap) above Speed 110kmph.
TASS(Concorde,Kochi) Rectified it by Replacing Some Items(Balance Rode?) as well as Wheel Balancing Done.
But ,I still Face an Issue that @sushantr5 Said as above(Vehicle Wobbling when taking Turns) Especially on Hilly Roads.I have Stock GoodYear GT3 Tyres and Would Like to Know if I Need to ask Service Centre to Check Tyres.
I had this Issue Pointed out Earlier on this Thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I had a Trip last week to Pala and Kottaayam via Hilly MC Road in Kerala.
I was not experiencing Skidding or fishtailing.
I experienced - Front Tyres Feels Like losing Control kind of trembling in small steps on Turns and the Vibration is Felt in Steering Although the Car is not losing Control verbatim .
I was doing a modest 60kmph on this route with sharp corners.Tyres are stock GoodYear.I have Wheel Balancing Done on 2nd Free Service 2 months back.

What will be the Cause for this?Is this Normal?Concorde was supposed to replace Car's Power Steering Box When I complained about Vibrations on Steering Wheel.Is this Contributed to the above cause?

Last edited by deepclutch : 11th September 2010 at 10:42.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 13:10   #620
Senior - BHPian

as far as wobbling goes, get a second opinion on the alignment
my regular place did not diagnose it, but another one did!
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 13:41   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Apart from condensation, this can also happen if the belt tensioners are not giving the needed tension. Does this issue happen all the time, or was it a one time issue? If this continues to occur, suggest you to get it checked by A.S.S. However there is nothing to worry as such.
Thanks for the info bhpmaniac; I have not heard the sqeaking sound after that day.

Quote:
Try running your car with lesser tyre pressure in the front wheels for few days. With the increased surface area of contact I feel wobbling might reduce. This might help you identify the cause of wobbling.

cheers
NFS-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 19:47   #622
BHPian

Hi Sushant, even I think that the tyres are a problem. Might take it to another TASS to be doubly sure.
What did U change to and how is the ride quality now? Also did U upgrade to alloys?
Old 13th September 2010, 10:11   #623
BHPian

Default My new indica Vista Aura ABS

Guys,

I bought Indica Vista after long and hard thinking. I needed to be able to seat 3 ppl in comfort in the rear seat, and wanted a dieseal hatch with ABS at a low price. Nothing came up but Vista.

Here goes my experience with Marine Silver Aura ABS:

The Good:

1. Great drive comfort.
2. Really more car per car
3. Good mileage (given that I was changing from my Trusty old Wagon R)
4. Great many features like bluetooth, driver seat height adjust, Streering rake adjust etc.

The list of problems:

1. Seat belt not working. This was due to mis fixing of the center panel. Was rectified FOC
2. Front passenger side door handle. This came off when my uncle was closing the door. Was replaced FOC
3. Rear door power window switch light went kaput. This was replaced FOC
4. Sound from the rear and front Shocks when going over speed breakers. This was rectified FOC
5. The center panel (from where the front seat belts come out of) came off when I leant on them. The buttons in both were replaced and the panel fixed again.
6. The windshield washer spray faucet malfunctioning. This is not spraying properly. Will be replaced soon.
7. The rear passenger side door handle is loose. Will be replaced soon.

I've done 4K Kms so far and I'm pleased with the way the car has acuitted itself so far. It is a pity that Tata skimps on quality of the parts.

Regards,
lsjey

Note: Tip for dealing with TASS. Please be patient. Do not shout at them. They are heavily overworked with a lot of FOC work. Most importantly try given them a full 10 marks a couple of time irrespective of the quality of the service. They tend to help you out. Talking from personal experience :-)

Last edited by lsjey : 13th September 2010 at 10:14. Reason: Forgot to add tips dealing with TASS
lsjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 12:54   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sushant, even I think that the tyres are a problem. Might take it to another TASS to be doubly sure.
What did U change to and how is the ride quality now? Also did U upgrade to alloys?
Right now I have only changed front Tires to Michelin XM1+, Rears are same old GT3 . I am trying to juice rear tires more.

After changing front tires only I observed following changes
1) Handling, cornering improved in great extent. I feel more confident while taking high speed turns.

2) Tire noise reduced considerably but not as expected. May be when I change another 2 tires then I will be able to judge noise reduction properly.

I have not changed to alloys.
Old 13th September 2010, 13:10   #625
BHPian

Default Great Tyres 3rd Grade Quality

Hi Sushant,
Thanks for the reply mate. I am also planning to upgrade once I touch the 30K mark. However I am facing a hell lot of niggles - like power window switches going kaput, mist in the tail lights, so am contemplating if I should keep the car or let go if it. My biggest issue however is what do I upgrade to. Vista offers too much of space which almost no car is able to match in that price bracket.
What do you suggest I do?

Quote:
Right now I have only changed front Tires to Michelin XM1+, Rears are same old GT3 . I am trying to juice rear tires more.

After changing front tires only I observed following changes
1) Handling, cornering improved in great extent. I feel more confident while taking high speed turns.

2) Tire noise reduced considerably but not as expected. May be when I change another 2 tires then I will be able to judge noise reduction properly.

I have not changed to alloys.
Old 13th September 2010, 16:49   #626

Default sound of shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
Guys,

I bought Indica Vista after long and hard thinking. I needed to be able to seat 3 ppl in comfort in the rear seat, and wanted a dieseal hatch with ABS at a low price. Nothing came up but Vista.

Here goes my experience with Marine Silver Aura ABS:

The Good:

1. Great drive comfort.
2. Really more car per car
3. Good mileage (given that I was changing from my Trusty old Wagon R)
4. Great many features like bluetooth, driver seat height adjust, Streering rake adjust etc.

The list of problems:

1. Seat belt not working. This was due to mis fixing of the center panel. Was rectified FOC
2. Front passenger side door handle. This came off when my uncle was closing the door. Was replaced FOC
3. Rear door power window switch light went kaput. This was replaced FOC
4. Sound from the rear and front Shocks when going over speed breakers. This was rectified FOC
5. The center panel (from where the front seat belts come out of) came off when I leant on them. The buttons in both were replaced and the panel fixed again.
6. The windshield washer spray faucet malfunctioning. This is not spraying properly. Will be replaced soon.
7. The rear passenger side door handle is loose. Will be replaced soon.

I've done 4K Kms so far and I'm pleased with the way the car has acuitted itself so far. It is a pity that Tata skimps on quality of the parts.

Regards,
lsjey

Note: Tip for dealing with TASS. Please be patient. Do not shout at them. They are heavily overworked with a lot of FOC work. Most importantly try given them a full 10 marks a couple of time irrespective of the quality of the service. They tend to help you out. Talking from personal experience :-)

Hi. Isjey,

How was the sound heard by you ?
How was it solved ?
I am also facing this problem. Front shocks sound like 'old spring chair', whereas rear shocks sound like a 'bang' (as if spare tire or something else is falling). This happens even at a speed of 10 kmph.
They changed some bushes in the front several times. But no permanent solution so far. Also changed rear shocks at 1st service.
I have done 8k so far.
hysys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 18:40   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sushant,
Thanks for the reply mate. I am also planning to upgrade once I touch the 30K mark. However I am facing a hell lot of niggles - like power window switches going kaput, mist in the tail lights, so am contemplating if I should keep the car or let go if it. My biggest issue however is what do I upgrade to. Vista offers too much of space which almost no car is able to match in that price bracket.
What do you suggest I do?
I had the same two problems but promptly resolved by TASS after changing respective parts under warranty . I am near 50k mark and I have following problems which will be targeted in next service

1) Turbo charger whistle when I try to accelerate car very hard. I think turbo whistle is normal but still I will present it as a problem to TASS.

2) Rattling from dash. I have identified location of rattle.

3) Looks like suspension has become loose. Over hard bumps suspension makes vibrating noise.
Old 14th September 2010, 12:05   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysys View Post
Hi. Isjey,

How was the sound heard by you ?
How was it solved ?
I am also facing this problem. Front shocks sound like 'old spring chair', whereas rear shocks sound like a 'bang' (as if spare tire or something else is falling). This happens even at a speed of 10 kmph.
They changed some bushes in the front several times. But no permanent solution so far. Also changed rear shocks at 1st service.
I have done 8k so far.
hsys,

The SA told me that the sound comes because of dirt accumulation. Not sure how dirt can get accumulated in a brand new car. According to SA they did some cleaning and greasing.... That is all...

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 14:51   #629
BHPian

Quote:

2) Rattling from dash. I have identified location of rattle.
Please let me know the source ASAP. I too have been facing (or rather hearing) a rattling sound from the dash and its getting irritating by the day.
Old 14th September 2010, 17:13   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Please let me know the source ASAP. I too have been facing (or rather hearing) a rattling sound from the dash and its getting irritating by the day.
I am getting rattling from dashboard from Co-Passenger Side. Please see attached image where I have marked the Area.

You can also fix the rattling very easily. If you remove front beige Part from Co Passenger Side then you can access huge cave in the dashboard. Its very very big area. And you can put some packing at the place where you suspect your rattling.

This is the only area where I am getting rattling and rest things are pretty fit and fine. Few thousand kilometers back I fixed this rattling by putting foam packing in this area but this again resurface and when I looked inside I found foam was deformed and unable to hold back rattle. So I thought this time I will point this issue to TASS because they have right quality of foam for this purpose.

Just do not get frustrated by Vista, Power Window Switches and Mist in the tail lamp are not big problems. They can be fixed easily if not under warranty, you can purchase those components with very small price. I am damn sure these are real cheap components. Rear Tail Lamp is not a single unit. It is two Part assembly so to fix your mist problem you need to change only that section.

My half worry has gone away because I have found really good Service Center. It is Pandit Automotive, Bhosari(Pune). They are really good in what they do.

When I peeped into Vista Dashboard I found there is lot of space which can be utilized for various purposes. It can act as good location for an amplifier. You can put your Security Devices like Autocop. Inside dashboard you will find Platic is covered with thick layer of foam, this is for giving some heavyness to plastic and in turn it reduces vibration and rattling.

Dashboards of Terra and Aqua Models can be changed to Aura like look very easily.

Maverick1977, Just try to find out rattling location. It may be from Central Instrument Cluster or area below it.
Attached Thumbnails
Indica Vista - list of Known problems-indicavistainteriors.jpg  

Last edited by sushantr5 : 14th September 2010 at 17:18.