Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st December 2010, 21:05   #646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My dad is looking for a diesel hatch and I have been suggesting the Vista QJD with ABS. Both him and my mom were against Tata cars. But I convinced them to do a TD and they are now quite impressed with the Vista and leaning towards it. I just spend the last half hour catching up on this thread and it looks like Tata has come a long way from the first set of Indicas. The problems faced by owners doesn't seem to be too bad. I think I will take a chance on the Vista. The VFM proposition is too good to ignore.
Go ahead friend. Vista is indeed the most VFM diesel hatch available. In fact the only reason I didn't go for QJD when I changed my car was that I just wanted to try out another brand. I was using a Xeta for 5 years before that, and I should say it gave me a very good peace of mind for the entire 5 years tenure.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:37   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a question.
During my last long trip I tool my Vista over pot holes of medium size at a high speed, a couple of times, the front wheel hits the pothole and it makes a loud thud noise, somewhere near the front wheels. The sound really hurts and I say Aaaaaouuuuuch!!, You know what I mean.

I understand that this would be expected in case the pot hole is really huge, i.e. more than the car's ground clearance, but I am talking of seeming harmless looking potholes about 1/2 a feet deep.

What exactly causes the noise? Is it the rim, axle or just the shock absorbers? I have heard of people driving fast over bad roads and thought this wouldn't cause any damage. Is this true? If not what damage I could be causing. So far I dont find any difference in the ride even after those incidents

TIA,
Nitin
Hit a Huge Pothole an Hour Back;Visibility Was Bad Because of Rain.
Result Was the Front Right Side Wheel Cap Broken off(Lost), Rim Got Bend.Though the Car Drives as Smooth as it is.Guess Shockers and Suspension are Fine.
Any Idea How Much For Vista 14" OE Rim?
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:41   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Result Was the Front Right Side Wheel Cap Broken off(Lost), Rim Got Bend.Though the Car Drives as Smooth as it is.Guess Shockers and Suspension are Fine.
Get the RIM straightened, some 50-150Rs will be the cost depending on different tyre shops.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:52   #649
jav
BHPian

Quote:
If the bend is very deep i would suggest not to get it straightened as it will always cause some wobble and change in alignment due to the force of the impact (i have two bent rims lying around because of this) each OE rim should be around 750-1000 rupees at TASS
jav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:54   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Get the RIM straightened, some 50-150Rs will be the cost depending on different tyre shops.
I doubt if it work;Tubeless Tyres will Slowly Loss Air With Refurbished Rim?I Was thinking of Buying OE RIM.I Hope it May Cost Less than Rs1000.
Old 6th December 2010, 12:15   #651
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt if it work;Tubeless Tyres will Slowly Loss Air With Refurbished Rim?I Was thinking of Buying OE RIM.I Hope it May Cost Less than Rs1000.
It should cost somewhere around Rs.1000. In case they say it is not in stock or some other reasons, do feel free to PM me. I have a set of four lying at home (changed to alloys) which you can use till you get a new one.
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 13:29   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
It should cost somewhere around Rs.1000. In case they say it is not in stock or some other reasons, do feel free to PM me. I have a set of four lying at home (changed to alloys) which you can use till you get a new one.
Thank You For the Offer.They have rims ex-stock as per SA.

They(Concorde) Checked the Bend and said they will Straighten the Rim and Will Rotate Tyres in "X" Direction So that the Suspected Rim Will go to Left Rear Side.
I Asked them How do they "Straighten" Rim.Service Advisor Says they will Fix the Rim in Wheel Balancing Machine and Will use Hammer to Straighten as with Local Workshops Do.

I Was Wondering If there is Some Place in Ernakulam Where they Straighten Rims Professionally?

BTW, The SA quoted Rs1200 For One Rim Which Seems to be Overpriced.

Last edited by deepclutch : 6th December 2010 at 13:30.
Old 6th December 2010, 14:46   #653

Quote:
Thank You For the Offer.They have rims ex-stock as per SA.

They(Concorde) Checked the Bend and said they will Straighten the Rim and Will Rotate Tyres in "X" Direction So that the Suspected Rim Will go to Left Rear Side.
I Asked them How do they "Straighten" Rim.Service Advisor Says they will Fix the Rim in Wheel Balancing Machine and Will use Hammer to Straighten as with Local Workshops Do.

I Was Wondering If there is Some Place in Ernakulam Where they Straighten Rims Professionally?

BTW, The SA quoted Rs1200 For One Rim Which Seems to be Overpriced.

Just check out any Bridgestone dealer in your locality/city. They have this machine which repairs/removes these minor bends from the rims. After that they do wheel balancing to check for any wobble.

It worked fine in my case as I am travelling with the same wheel for the last 19K kms.

Umesh
bajica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 17:21   #654
BHPian

Deep - I have had a smiliar experience a few months back & my rim was bent quite badly. In case the TASS does not have the Vista rim you can use the old Indigo rim, since both are of the same size. The Indigo rims are identical to the Vista rims, so dont worry a bit. I got mine for 1K including balancing & new valve. Sold old 1 for Rs. 150. Suggest you also get the thing changed.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 15:36   #655
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Deep - I have had a smiliar experience a few months back & my rim was bent quite badly. In case the TASS does not have the Vista rim you can use the old Indigo rim, since both are of the same size. The Indigo rims are identical to the Vista rims, so dont worry a bit. I got mine for 1K including balancing & new valve. Sold old 1 for Rs. 150. Suggest you also get the thing changed.
I bought Wheel Rim(5j 14") for Vista along with Wheel Cover.Wheel Cover Costs Rs370 and Rim Costs Rs970.Both From "Other" TATA Dealership. Yet to Replace and Align Wheels.
--
Two Gentle Men(Marketing Executives) Came from TATA(Concorde, Cochin) to My House for "Free Car Checkup" today Afternoon. Asked Me if Car is doing Fine.
I complained about A/C Which is Not Working that Great in Hot Afternoons for Rear Passengers. They Agreed to Check this issue on Next Visit at Concorde.
They Told Tata CC Will Call Me for a Feedback .
Seems Tata wants to improve or Just another Gimmick?
And, They gave a Memento - A Tata "Nano" Replica .
--
Guys, Now Our Vista Quadrajet is Completing 1 Year. Except for the 40 odd kms long Visit to Tata Dealer-Service, I'm OK with the Car.(within 15kms from My House Two TASS including dealer's service is there. but never confident on their skills After trying For Once).
--
Regards,
DC
Old 15th December 2010, 18:36   #656
BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

I get an odd problem with my VISTA QJD.

Both my front tires were wearing very fast till 20 k service. The same were rotated during the service & the rotated tires also wearing out very fast in less than 7k kms. The wear pattern seems to be due to under inflation (getting bald on the edges) but, I always maintain between 32 & 34 psi for the front & 30 & 32 psi for the rear. During every refueling, air pressure is checked & not much significant variation is noticed in the pressures' (max reduction of 2 psi).

Every 6 months I check wheel alignment @ TASS & none of the reports were abnormal. Can somebody throw a light on this?
fifthwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 17:06   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthwheel View Post
.........I always maintain between 32 & 34 psi for the front & 30 & 32 psi for the rear. During every refueling, air pressure is checked & not much significant variation is noticed in the pressures' (max reduction of 2 psi)...........Can somebody throw a light on this?

Do you happen to re-fuel the car after driving over 4-5kms? The hot air heated tire shows "inflated" pressure. It is suggested that one always checks the tire pressure in cold condition only.
NFS-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 17:30   #658
BHPian

Quote:
......Two Gentle Men(Marketing Executives) Came from TATA(Concorde, Cochin) to My House for "Free Car Checkup" today Afternoon. Asked Me if Car is doing Fine.
I complained about A/C Which is Not Working that Great in Hot Afternoons for Rear Passengers. They Agreed to Check this issue on Next Visit at Concorde....
Regards,
DC

I too was visited by these two "Gentlemen". They conducted few checks that included..
  • A/C
  • Brake oil level
  • Engine oil level
  • Coolant level and
  • Adjusted the windscreen spray nozzle
They listed down couple of issues I raised and said they will attend to it when the car is given for service.
What I din't like though was their un-professional approach; As the car's coolant was a bit below the normal mark, he choose to top-it-up but from where you know? This guy took out the coolant he had got in an mineral water bottle wrapped in filthy platic cover. I seldom expected coolant out of it!

Its high time they educate their people.

BTW they gave me inflatable neck pillow as an compliment.
NFS-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 22:03   #659
BHPian

Hey this is something new. I have not got a call or a visit from Tata Motors. I will love to have a model of the Nano. Have been in love with the car but some how keeping it only for weekends doe snot make sense.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 14:16   #660

Hi Guys,

My car has completed 29k kms. I was facing some problems:
1. the car has some squeaking sound coming from left side of car (seems like from left side door/seat).

2. The car has some "tuk tuk" sound coming from steering assembly (near tyres) when I was turning the car slowly left/right.

3. Lack of power (when car is in first gear).

yesterday i handed over to TASC (Madhapur Hyderabad). they handed me a bill of 10,500......

according to them they need to replace:

1. Breaks (front left wheel) 1800/-
2. Engine Belt 4800/-
3. air filter 800/-
4. hose pipe (under fan assembly) 800/-
it has dent marks due to low clearance to Indian roads

I want suggestions from you people that it is right to pay them or something should be covered under warranty?
vijay_01 is offline   Reply With Quote