Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th May 2011, 18:38   #736
BHPian

Default Black Exhaust smoke

I have an Aura Quadrajet. This is one among the first batch car manufactured in 2008. I am the one who bought first Vista in Kerala and it is the first one rolled out of showroom in Kerala.

Currently the car clocked 38500 km. After the 10k mark I noticed the increase in exhaust black smoke when accelerating in second gear. When pointed this thing to dealer I got a reply that it is normal for Diesels.
Initially I felt that my car has a lot of raw power. But due to inadequate AC cooling issue TA$$ has done an ECU software update in my car. After that I feel car is delivering power in a controlled way.

During 3rd service we filled Mobil 1 synthetic from TA$$ and noticed that engine is smoother than past and noise reduced to a great extent. But after that I felt that even though revving is smoother the car is not attaining speed easily after 90km/h mark. I have a driving behavior of a normal progress to 50-60 and stick to a max of 70-80km/h. The max I attained was 100-105 that too after straining with engine becomes rough.

But what makes me worrying now is the same exhaust smoke issue. I can see in my ORVM that it ejects out a lot of smoke when I normally
accelerate3rd and even in 4th gear. I think this is not normal. I saw other cars like Swift, Palio, and Punto with same engines are accelerating ahead of me without black fumes/less fumes emitting from exhaust.

I am much worried about this condition. I used to get a FE of 21.5km/l with AC on in highways when stick to 60km/h. But now FE also had gone below 16. No mods done to engine yet.

I checked the air filter also but seen that itís clean (replaced the filter in 3rd service -30000km).

I always keep tyre pressure correct. (Nitrogen)

What can be the cause of it? Expecting your valuable suggestion and opinions.
Anz1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 19:59   #737

Default Re: Black Exhaust smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anz1979 View Post
After the 10k mark I noticed the increase in exhaust black smoke when accelerating in second gear.

This happened to me when I used Premium diesel from shell for the first tankful. I hope you are using unadulterated regular diesel. There may be other reasons to this. please refer to this link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post830064 (Black smoke from diesel engines)

Initially I felt that my car has a lot of raw power. But due to inadequate AC cooling issue TA$$ has done an ECU software update in my car. After that I feel car is delivering power in a controlled way.

The raw power you are mentioning (sudden surge) happens only in the second gear of any vista. The turbo boost/power delivery is very linear in 3rd,4th,5th gears.

During 3rd service we filled Mobil 1 synthetic from TA$$ and noticed that engine is smoother than past and noise reduced to a great extent. But after that I felt that even though revving is smoother the car is not attaining speed easily after 90km/h mark. I have a driving behavior of a normal progress to 50-60 and stick to a max of 70-80km/h. The max I attained was 100-105 that too after straining with engine becomes rough.

Please get the turbo charger and the intercooler checked by T.A.S.S. BTW do you hear any excessive hissing sound from the engine when the turbo spools up?

My replies are in bold.
sreepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 22:05   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... exhaust black smoke when accelerating in second gear.....
Hey Anz1979 black smoke with soot mostly means you are running on rich Air Fuel mixture (More fuel).

Please check for clogged air intake, and also the intercooler or turbo. Also, as you have mentioned that the A.S.S have tweaked the ECU, that might also be a reason for the rich mixture.

As for the ECU, try this: Disconnect the battery for about 10-15 minutes. It should be sufficient to clear any error codes, if any.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 10:40   #739
BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

@ sreepy

1. Used regular fuel till date.
2. Exactly that is correct. Raw power in 2nd gear. In past I can easily accelerate from 50 to 80 in 5th gear without downshifting. But now I have to downshift to 4th then accelerate. During this acceleration procedure exhaust emits black smoke and then when up shift to 5th smoke stops.

3. Didn't hear any such noises from the engine yet. Usually I start the car, leave it for 30- 40 seconds idling and then move. These all are for turbo care.
But i think now a days engine is a bit louder than earlier.

@dhanushs

Smoke issue was there, prior to ECU update. But now its worsen, I think.
That was an update with the software of 2010 version cars, which mainly has modified values for AC cut in and cut off temperature settings etc..

Seen that pipe to air filter & air filter is clean, where I have to check other than this for air intake

Thanks brother, I will try your suggestion of disconnecting battery.
Old 11th May 2011, 11:59   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS-II View Post
Good one kartikk. Wondering what other colour choices does one get? I was looking for one in grey.
Grey, Black and Beige are available. I think it fits for Manza too.
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 13:51   #741
BHPian

Unhappy Vista Immobilizer

Hi All,

I have a question on the Indica Vista immobilizer.

In some of the the other car forums it has been mentioned that if an immobilizer enabled car is tried to start with a duplicate key, then the engine will not crank. After this, inspite of using the correct key, the car will not start unless you get the ECU reset/recoded.

Is this applicable for the Vista as well?

Also, I have heard of incidents of thefts after a car has just been serviced (Yes! Even for immobilizer enabled ones). This is because, the service station guys disable the immobilizer, so that the car starts with any key which fits the lock.

Can the immobilizer be disabled in the Vista? If yes, will the immobilizer LED still flash?
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 14:58   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After the 10k mark I noticed the increase in exhaust black smoke when accelerating in second gear. When pointed this thing to dealer I got a reply that it is normal for Diesels.
I have a Vista TDi and have this exact same problem. First TASS diagnosed it as fault with FIP and got it serviced, but the issue happened again. Then they suspected the turbo oil seal is gone, but checked and found that turbo is good. At last, they diagnosed that the problem is because a leak in the breather tube from the air filter. TASS is out of stock and I am waiting for that part - Will update once I get the part and fix it.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 17:28   #743
BHPian

@theexperthand:

One more that I can't check myself. Will ask TA$$ to do it.
Old 18th May 2011, 16:50   #744
BHPian

I have wider tyres and alloy wheels on my Vista, after about 6 months i started noticing some grinding sound from the right front (drivers' side) suspension whenever i go over a speed breaker. I got it checked from Prerana motors Old madras road bangalore, they have been replacing the suspension bush every after 2-3 months (about 4-5 times by now), but the problem keeps cropping back. The service adviser said he applies some grease and after it dries out, the noise is back. I don't have a clue how on earth this is a reasonable solution to the problem. Request fellow Vista owners to share their experience and may be i will have to educate the TA$$ guys about what needs to be checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
Finally a year and 26K km later I found the armrest that I've been looking for. Got it fitted from "Autofusion" @ Forum mall he says he is a tbhpian but no longer active. It cost me Rs 1300/- including fitting, I was mainly excited to get the color which I had been looking for a while on J.C. Road and other places. Actually I gave him 5 customers and he gave Rs200/- off else it costs Rs. 1500 (though waiting to get the 200 bucks from my friend & thats another thing )
Thanks a ton dude! for the info, i got one for my Vista yesterday. Its not very high on quality, but does the job and am happy

Last edited by gurudutt : 18th May 2011 at 17:04.
gurudutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:23   #745
BHPian

Car parked overnight by engaging a gear (or for a long duration) the next morning while starting the clutch is hard. I mean the full play is not smooth. Even after idling the engine for 6-8 mins the clutch play wont be smooth, there will be some uneven feel. The car has no problems, no jerking, no juddering or anything in any of the gears. It goes away after almost 25mins of driving. I'm currently not engaging any gear and using the hand break instead.

What could be the reason?
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 18:50   #746
BHPian

I was getting a clicking noise when turning the steering wheel to the right, more like a "tang tang". Took it to the tass and it turns out to be a worn out ball bearing and also strut to be replaced. Quite surprised given that i have driven only 25000Kms. Expected to cost 3500/-.
Will post more tomorrow once i get the car back and the details.
vista_qjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 00:37   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Thanks a ton dude! for the info, i got one for my Vista yesterday. Its not very high on quality, but does the job and am happy

Care to share a pic or two of the same mate. Hope your problem is solved ASAP but why don't you try some other T.A.S.C?
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 19:22   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
I was getting a clicking noise when turning the steering wheel to the right, more like a "tang tang". Took it to the tass and it turns out to be a worn out ball bearing and also strut to be replaced. Quite surprised given that i have driven only 25000Kms. Expected to cost 3500/-.
Will post more tomorrow once i get the car back and the details.
Just got back from service center and Tata waived the strut cost as part of extended warranty, only paid for labor - about 1200/-. Great service experience and am completely impressed the way they went about the whole problem. Have to say I was every bit satisfied. Way to go Tata!
vista_qjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 03:15   #749
Senior - BHPian

they are supposed to !
PS : now that your bearings and strut are changed, do your wheel alignment asap if the TASS has not done it
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 09:42   #750
BHPian

Quote:
@ sreepy

1. Used regular fuel till date.
2. Exactly that is correct. Raw power in 2nd gear. In past I can easily accelerate from 50 to 80 in 5th gear without downshifting. But now I have to downshift to 4th then accelerate. During this acceleration procedure exhaust emits black smoke and then when up shift to 5th smoke stops.

3. Didn't hear any such noises from the engine yet. Usually I start the car, leave it for 30- 40 seconds idling and then move. These all are for turbo care.
But i think now a days engine is a bit louder than earlier.

@dhanushs

Smoke issue was there, prior to ECU update. But now its worsen, I think.
That was an update with the software of 2010 version cars, which mainly has modified values for AC cut in and cut off temperature settings etc..

Seen that pipe to air filter & air filter is clean, where I have to check other than this for air intake

Thanks brother, I will try your suggestion of disconnecting battery.
Hi, for black smoke while accelerating if I were in your situation, I would've done these things in the order mentioned.

1) Air filter clean up - You've already done. Can be ruled out.
2) Check for abnormal whistle or heavy turbo whine - If you haven't done this do it immediately. Chances are there for a turbo failure.
3) Check for any leakages in the air flow paths, especially intercooler area.
4) Ask TASS to check the air pressure at the filter hose and ensure it has correct values.

For me, it seems like an issue with the air flow or in worst case a turbo issue. I really suggest you take up this issue asap before the warranty runs out (hope you had opted for extended warranty). I had low power issues on my Swift and it was zeroed in to a turbo failure and turbo was changed under warranty. Smoking will be there under hard acceleration on diesels, but less. If TASS says its normal, ask them to verify it on another Vista in your presence.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote