Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th July 2011, 23:51   #796
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Hi guys, I have a news which is both shocking & unexpected. The car has started rusting on the (boot) hatch door and rear right door.
Has any one experienced a similar problem in their Vista? If so what was the solution provided by the TASS? I am going to take the car tomorrow to the TASS but want to know what U guys suggest I should do.
I am worried that I was able to see the rust in these places but what about those nooks & crevices which are not visible to the eye? What if the rust has started there also?
That sure is a worrying thought. How old is your Vista and is it parked in the open often? Also can you upload some pics please.

Do update us about your interaction with TASS.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 00:03   #797
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Hi guys, I have a news which is both shocking & unexpected. The car has started rusting on the (boot) hatch door and rear right door.
Has any one experienced a similar problem in their Vista? If so what was the solution provided by the TASS? I am going to take the car tomorrow to the TASS but want to know what U guys suggest I should do.
I am worried that I was able to see the rust in these places but what about those nooks & crevices which are not visible to the eye? What if the rust has started there also?
They have replaced rear hatch door's "clamps" for rusting . Still, Tata Auth. Service has no solution for water and dust getting settled below the Rear Hatch Door(Body portion). last monsoon I found signs of rusting near The Plastic Cover Which is used to block dirt on both rear wheels. I was asked to go for internal panel protection and Did. There is not any solution with them atleast I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I will recommend You have under body,fender(both front and rear),internal panel Anti-rust Coating Done immediately after taking Delivery or get it done in Dealership itself. and Check it Regularly if Your Place have Horrible Monsoon Season like in Central Kerala.
Mine Vista's Rear Fender has some sledges left stuck and it was there for may be a week or so. I pressure washed the portion to find dots of Rust Formation on this part. They have Plastic Cover put over this portion Which makes it Difficult to Clean. This Happened 2 months back and I had no Anti-Rust Coating for Fenders Which I did immediately.

My Experience with 2 Tata Cars Suggests the Same thing. Their Metallurgy(Car Body ) is not that Great. Especially Regarding Rusting. Don't Know if the Situation is better for Newer Cars.

Last edited by deepclutch : 11th July 2011 at 00:08.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 12:19   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Could you post some pics, I have had a minor problem with the back doors both sides, the edge of the door where the rubber beading ends they use some sort of clamps to close the edges of the beading, this clamp touches the car body. I was lucky to notice the slight corrosion taking play and got the doors adjusted and car body paint touch up done.

Also the bonnet has a similar issue where it touches the car body just above the head-light area, both are easily correctable.
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 17:29   #799
BHPian

Did a Coimbatore-Chennai road tip last weekend.The vista truly is a highway breed.It loves munching miles effortlessly.The mileage returned was 19kmpl with a/c on 100% and speeds between 90-100.I don't know how good or bad this is.

However tyre noise seems to be an issue with Goodyear's.Does anyone else have tyre noise issues especially between 0-60kmph.I drive solo mostly and fill up 32psi.
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 09:29   #800
Senior - BHPian

At last, an update to the black smoke issue - TASS asked us to get the car for turbo replacement, but before that they did a through checking and found that one of the tubes in the the plumbing of turbo (my guess is it is the oil drain tube) was bent and the oil was not draining from the turbo. Now the plumbing have been corrected and after driving couple of 100 kms, the smoke have reduced a lot.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 13:30   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Did a Coimbatore-Chennai road tip last weekend.The vista truly is a highway breed.It loves munching miles effortlessly.The mileage returned was 19kmpl with a/c on 100% and speeds between 90-100.I don't know how good or bad this is.

However tyre noise seems to be an issue with Goodyear's.Does anyone else have tyre noise issues especially between 0-60kmph.I drive solo mostly and fill up 32psi.
Sam, even I get around 19/20kmpl with 100% AC in my Vista on highway.

There was increased tyre noise in my vista after wheel alignment, balancing and rotation done by TASC during the 4th service. But the noise got reduced after another alignment and balancing done outside.
Arun.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 08:47   #802

Wheel alignment or Good Year tyre may be certainly an issue.. Apart from that , I guess its the build itself. Vista is not that sound proof compared to Ford's or Hyundai's - may be the inferior rubber beedings on the door or the Floor mat itself.. You hear good amount of noise at 90-100 Kms on highways.

Has any one done sound proofing (3M or similar material) for Vista and any feedback on road / tyre noise apart from expected good audio performance !!??

Cheers
Balaji
asbalaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 13:07   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbalaji View Post
Has any one done sound proofing (3M or similar material) for Vista and any feedback on road / tyre noise apart from expected good audio performance !!??
I have gone with 3M under body coating with a 4 year warranty and in fact there is significant reduction in Tyre noise even at high speeds. In fact I was advised to go for the 3M sound proofing which is normally done in tandem with the under body coat at T.A.S.C which I politely refused due to lack of Mr.M .
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 13:38   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
That sure is a worrying thought. How old is your Vista and is it parked in the open often? Also can you upload some pics please.

Do update us about your interaction with TASS.
Here are the pics of the rusted areas, they might not be that much right now but rusting is a disease which spreads on the entire surface.

TASS had the same reply, get the car & we will fix the issue. Was supposed to give the car yesterday but the events on13th July have changed my plans since I need the car for daily commute.
Attached Thumbnails
Indica Vista - list of Known problems-20110621-18.43.51.jpg  

Indica Vista - list of Known problems-20110621-18.44.45.jpg  

Indica Vista - list of Known problems-20110621-18.45.18.jpg  

Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 15:08   #805
BHPian

Maverick,

this is some serious rusting issue, cant believe the paint job is also blistering off like this.

Agreed that mumbai humidity and coastal air is corrosive to cars. does the car stay parked very close to the any of the seaface?
enzo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 15:14   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
Maverick,

this is some serious rusting issue, cant believe the paint job is also blistering off like this.

Agreed that mumbai humidity and coastal air is corrosive to cars. does the car stay parked very close to the any of the seaface?
The car is very much away from the sea. Also there are no other water bodies any where close to where I stay. In fact my earlier cars, technically speaking, were closer to the sea (not that much also) than this one is. I feel this is poor quality workmanship or materials used are of inferior nature.
Old 15th July 2011, 15:25   #807
BHPian

Quote:
The car is very much away from the sea. Also there are no other water bodies any where close to where I stay. In fact my earlier cars, technically speaking, were closer to the sea (not that much also) than this one is. I feel this is poor quality workmanship or materials used are of inferior nature.
It has to be a quality issue. the entire area near the window beading appears to be rusting. same for the door hinge.

Wondering what are the remedial measures:

1) repainting the entire car, after scratching off the existing paint and rust
2) some kind of body treatment at the places where rusting has started

Any idea if the warranty covers for such expenses. please do keep us posted
enzo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 15:26   #808
BHPian

Quote:
@maverick - In my opinion this may be a case of the car cleaner using hard water (read borewell) while cleaning your car. Since most the times these guys clean the car with a cloth still dripping of water leaving behind droplets. Although I don't own the Vista, I have seen similar problems in my Indica. Even though I stay far from the sea the car body has seen rusting
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 15:47   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are the pics of the rusted areas, they might not be that much right now but rusting is a disease which spreads on the entire surface.

TASS had the same reply, get the car & we will fix the issue. Was supposed to give the car yesterday but the events on13th July have changed my plans since I need the car for daily commute.
This is shocking to say the least. My car is in a covered parking lot and Pune does not have severe rains as in Mumabai, but i would still do a thorough visual inspection of my vehicle.

How are they going to fix the issue? Any inputs given by TASS about it?
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 15:57   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
This is shocking to say the least. My car is in a covered parking lot and Pune does not have severe rains as in Mumabai, but i would still do a thorough visual inspection of my vehicle.

How are they going to fix the issue? Any inputs given by TASS about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
@maverick - In my opinion this may be a case of the car cleaner using hard water (read borewell) while cleaning your car. Since most the times these guys clean the car with a cloth still dripping of water leaving behind droplets. Although I don't own the Vista, I have seen similar problems in my Indica. Even though I stay far from the sea the car body has seen rusting
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
It has to be a quality issue. the entire area near the window beading appears to be rusting. same for the door hinge.

Wondering what are the remedial measures:

1) repainting the entire car, after scratching off the existing paint and rust
2) some kind of body treatment at the places where rusting has started

Any idea if the warranty covers for such expenses. please do keep us posted
I stay in an enclosed colony & all the cleaners use the same water that we get in our homes. I every now & then get the TDS checked since I have a small kind @home. The TDS is <75 which is a permissible limit by the BMC.

Hence no question of the car being washed with hard water. Even if I assume that the car got washed with hard water, why is that its rusting from these 2 places only? Why not from anywhere else?

People I seek your solution here. I am not sure what the TASS is planning to do. All they have told me is to get the car & they will get the needful done. I asked if they are going to paint the car completely to which they completely disagreed.

Am thoroughly confused now...