Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th October 2011, 15:46   #841
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post

Thanks. Now this is interesting. I had not even thought about decarbonizing the silencer before reading this link.

I was actually referring to the engine and had read quite a few threads on people doing it at different intervals. But did not quite get a proper interval for doing it. So thought would check with other Vista owners. I guess next time i go to the service centre would check with them as well.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 12:01   #842
BHPian

I hear a Grrrrrr noise, a kind of grumbling noise, in my vista when accelerator is gently pressed while moving. Recently it is more audible and annoying inside the cabin. And the noise comes up in addition to the normal clattering, only on acceleration. There is no such noise when the car is moving in neutral or without acceleration. What could be the reason?

My Vista also pushes out more smoke after ~2200RPM. It has now run 21900KMs. There is also momentary missing at times when turbo kicks in. Earlier turbo was replaced at ~15000Kms for an oil spillage. Iím planning to visit TASC tomorrow.
Arun.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 13:02   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
I hear a Grrrrrr noise, a kind of grumbling noise, in my vista when accelerator is gently pressed while moving. Recently it is more audible and annoying inside the cabin. And the noise comes up in addition to the normal clattering, only on acceleration. There is no such noise when the car is moving in neutral or without acceleration. What could be the reason?
TASC people accepted that the noise level is above normal when compared to other Vistaís. Even our other Vista which has done 74000Kms+ is quiet and smooth. They term it as marching noise(?) from gear box and gave a shocker that it cannot be stopped. It seems like once the noise starts it could not be stopped. They say that in spite of opening and resetting the gear box in a couple of Vistas, they could not stop the noise. I asked them whether the problem can be solved, if the whole gear box is replaced. Now came the second shocker, they are not sure, as the new gear box may also be noisier. As noise is getting increased nowadays, it has become a bothersome inside the cabin. Iím taking up the issue to TATA Motors.

Any Vista owner came across this noise and got it fixed?
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:19   #844
BHPian

Hi friends, its time for me to change the tyres of my Vista. Currently running on stock Goodyear GT3 175/65. Covered around 42k kms and the threads are somewhat fully worn out.

Thinking to upgrade the size too with the stock wheels. (Lack of funds for alloys).

My plan is to go for 185/60. But Michellin / Bridgestone? Its a confusion.
Also want to know the sizes up to which I can upgrade, that too fit in the Tyre well.

Could yo please suggest some Tyres and sizes that will fit on?
Anz1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 18:08   #845
BHPian

Does 195/60 R14 Yokohama fit on my stock wheel? Does it touch body when i fully turn the steering with full load?
Anz1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 18:55   #846
BHPian

Quote:
TASC people accepted that the noise level is above normal when compared to other Vistaís. Even our other Vista which has done 74000Kms+ is quiet and smooth. They term it as marching noise(?) from gear box and gave a shocker that it cannot be stopped. It seems like once the noise starts it could not be stopped. They say that in spite of opening and resetting the gear box in a couple of Vistas, they could not stop the noise. I asked them whether the problem can be solved, if the whole gear box is replaced. Now came the second shocker, they are not sure, as the new gear box may also be noisier. As noise is getting increased nowadays, it has become a bothersome inside the cabin. Iím taking up the issue to TATA Motors.

Seems to be a problem with a chipped tooth on one of the gears. Also, there is a locking pin which comes into contact with the gears, this locking pin has a small bush which if loose/damaged will create play and lead to the grating sound. Did you accidentally put the car in reverse while driving or did someone who was driving shift without full clutch, this could lead to issues like you mentioned.

The reason why A/S/S try not to repair this is because it a very delicate work (resetting the pin). What you could do is go to a larget T/A/S/S
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 16:22   #847
BHPian

My reply is in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Seems to be a problem with a chipped tooth on one of the gears.
TASC people drained gear box oil and checked for metal pieces. The oil was clean and no metal parts found.

Also, there is a locking pin which comes into contact with the gears, this locking pin has a small bush which if loose/damaged will create play and lead to the grating sound.
Probably this might be a reason. If I'm right, the gears will be in action irrespective of acceleration while moving. If so there is no such noise during deceleration. The moment I step on the accelerator the noise starts.

Did you accidentally put the car in reverse while driving or did someone who was driving shift without full clutch, this could lead to issues like you mentioned.
No, I haven't. I usually use full clutch while shifting.
Old 28th October 2011, 18:04   #848
BHPian

Quote:

I am from CBE as well.Which TASC is this?My 8 month old Vista has had road noise from day-1 and Autozone has termed that as marching noise as well.Looks like this is a preferred term for al TASC's.Now they are blaming the good years by saying its common for all Vistas with Goodyear tyre's.I am taking it up with local Goodyear tyre dealer now.

Can anybody comment on this???
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 12:53   #849
BHPian

Sam.K, happy to see another CBE T-BHPian. The same Autozone people say it's marching noise but getting generated from gear box. Seems like it cannot be stopped once it comes up. As you said, even I feel "Marching Noise" had become a common term for them. I have taken up the issue to TATA Motors and waiting for their reply.

For Goodyear complaints you can call "Goodyear Wheel Assist" directly.
Old 30th October 2011, 07:15   #850

Quote:
Sam.K, happy to see another CBE T-BHPian. The same Autozone people say it's marching noise but getting generated from gear box. Seems like it cannot be stopped once it comes up. As you said, even I feel "Marching Noise" had become a common term for them. I have taken up the issue to TATA Motors and waiting for their reply.

For Goodyear complaints you can call "Goodyear Wheel Assist" directly.
My two cents on this.. Noise is quite a subjective topic on how you perceive. I had noticed this in my Vista. If I had a racy start, ie crossing 2500 RPM in lower gears (1st or 2nd) and rushing, I experience noisy cabin until I reach my destination.. let it be 45 minutes or 1 hr whereas if the first five - ten minutes of driving vista is smoother and quickly switching to 4th gear, Vista is a tamed pet and you love that...

Barring Arun's case (gear box noise), has any one experienced difference in cabin noise levels after applying sound deadening materials (3M or similar pads on your side walls and floor I guess..!!) - I feel this Tyre noise and noise due to bad quality rubber beadings / cabin (and what not.!!) will be mitigated ..

Any comments..
asbalaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 08:49   #851
BHPian

Even i have faced this problem in Sep 2009 Indica Vista petrol. I Gave the car for service at Autopoint surat with AC not cooling complaint, they charged the gas and gave me back. However after 20 days AC was not cooling again. I complained to Tata motors customer care and was asked to give the car back at Autopoint. During leak test it was found that cooling coil is leaking, which was replaced under extended warranty.

However AC is working fine thereafter. Mine is Vista Petrol which has done about 22000 KM however i have not faced any problem other than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemen View Post
My friend's cooling coil has also developed a leak, feb/mar 2010 vista QJD done 20k kms and serviced just a week before the a/c started acting up.
It is being replaced under warranty according to wasan motors, Kandivalli.

I had feeling its a one off incident untill i read your post.
rammishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 22:13   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbalaji View Post

Barring Arun's case (gear box noise), has any one experienced difference in cabin noise levels after applying sound deadening materials (3M or similar pads on your side walls and floor I guess..!!) - I feel this Tyre noise and noise due to bad quality rubber beadings / cabin (and what not.!!) will be mitigated ..

Any comments..
I have 3M underbody coating done on my Vista and saw a significant tyre noise reduction on highways immediately. I would say the vit M spent on underbody coating is worth it.

But before and after the underbody coat my engine noise has been super silent from day 1.
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 00:57   #853
BHPian

Question Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Can I add known Manza issues here ?

Or is there a separate thread for that?

If there is - can someone please guide me?

My search did not yield the desired results.

Thank you.
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 06:56   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post

Can I add known Manza issues here ?

Or is there a separate thread for that?

If there is - can someone please guide me?

My search did not yield the desired results.

Thank you.
There is an existing thread -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-problems.html (Tata Manza - List Of Problems)
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 10:54   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
I have 3M underbody coating done on my Vista and saw a significant tyre noise reduction on highways immediately. I would say the vit M spent on underbody coating is worth it.

But before and after the underbody coat my engine noise has been super silent from day 1.
smrtdvl, what were the OE tyres? There is no significant reduction in tyre noise in spite of 3M Anti-rust treatment done to my Vista. Do they coat the base where the rear coil spring rests? In my Vista there are traces of rust on the base. I was informed by TASC people that normally they don't coat the spring base, and the rear cross bar (guess I named it correctly). But I have asked them to coat during the next service.