Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th December 2011, 17:23   #901

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Twin dragon,Are you talking about steering vibration or steering wobble??,I have had the steering wobble issue and TASC hasnt solved it till now.They insisted that Goodyear tires are the problem and have replaced my front pair with brand new Goodyears again .The issue still persists.My vista has clocked 11k kms.

Before jumping to conclusions i would recommend you to get the wheels balanced and aligned from a reputed outlet as most of the time, TASC's eqpt are faulty.Be strict with them and try to get it solved once and for all.If not TASC will try to wash their hands off it.
All the best
Sam, it's not wobble, its the steering vibration only if i cross speed of 100 and above. Got wheel balancing done from the reputed outlet was and checked again but the problem persists. Trust me car is absolute pleasure to drive below the speed of 100. Even checked for the RIM bend found no issues there. Tires may be the culprit but have no plans to change them now.
Kindly share your mileage figures.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Last Warning. Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by .anshuman : 30th December 2011 at 22:31. Reason: see note in post
Twin Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 17:56   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dragon View Post
I really haven't done the tankful-tankful method.But i get around 14 in city runs with a/c and 19 on highways with a/c again.
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 21:43   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dragon View Post
Sam....its not wobble..its the steering vibration only if i cross speed of 100 and above...Got wheel balancing done from the reputed outlet was and checked again but the problem persist. trust me car is absolute pleasure to drive below the speed of 100....Even checked for the RIM bend found no issues their....Tires may be the culprit but have no plans to change them now...
Had the same problem in my Manza having alloy wheels which was not addressed by wheel alignment and balancing. However got this addressed during my latest visit to TASS. The mechanic mentioned about fixing something in the steering column

Last edited by Sridhar K : 30th December 2011 at 21:45.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 22:22   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Vista qdj - Are you just replacing the headlamps or upgrading it??If upgrading,what brand/wattage?
Not upgrading, just replacing the fused one. I never felt the need to upgrade since the the OEM headlamps were quite decent at 55Watts.
vista_qjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 13:00   #905
BHPian

Gentlemen I give up...
I have had a love-hate relationship with my Vista right from the time it arrived a little over 3 years back. I have enjoyed some fantastic drives in the city & highway but the biggest bane of contention was the fact that the car had one major issue every quarter which also led to the car spending a few days at the TASS for all those repairs.
One major issue which I have faced not one but twice was with the AC system. On the 1st occasion the condenser died an untimely death, replaced & all was smooth.
On the 2nd occasion the AC developed a feature where-in one vent threw cold air & the other regular air. Not only I but even the TASS guys went berserk. They kept the car for 7 days & replaced almost every hose & pipe in the system. Fortunately for them the problem vanished.
Both these issues cropped up within 2 years of the ownership and hence everything was done under warranty.
Now a major problem has cropped up for the 3rd time, the compressor has failed. Not only failed but internal aluminium bits of it seem to been circulating the whole AC system. TASS inspected the car and informed me that this is due to the compressor failing and the AC was still running. They have informed me that they will try replace the compressor (under warranty) and then flush the whole AC system. If the aluminium bits get flushed out then well & good, if not then they would have no choice but to replace the whole AC system. The SA took me on his desk & explained that since this is under extended warranty they will replace all parts covered in the extended warranty, which means all rubber parts & piping costs will have to be borne by me.
This is something which is completely unacceptable to me. Why should I even bear the cost of these parts which need to be replaced because of a failed compressor?
Right now TASS has checked the car & put in a request for the claims to be passed. Once that happens I will have to give the car back to them for the repairs.
What do you guys think I should do? Honestly all these niggles has been putting me off big time but now the costs are also killing me.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 13:14   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
What do you guys think I should do? Honestly all these niggles has been putting me off big time but now the costs are also killing me.
I would suggest you escalate the matter to Tata Motors by sending them a mail. It usually helps.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 16:05   #907
BHPian

Default Indica Vista VX

My F-I-L has purchased the new new vista vx n my insistence.I took it for a spin and observed the following

The engine noise deadening is a lot superior than the previous versions.So an even more quieter cabin
Gear throw is shorter and crisper than the outgoing models.I feel the gear lever is shorter actually.
The clutch was a surprise.Very light and better control.The car actually leapt forward everytime after quick shifts when i push her through the limits
Power steering is lighter as well with the end to end power steering fluid noise sorted out.
Soft touch black plastics on the dash and doors a improved lot and quality is much ibetter.
The electronic a/c controls is a breeze and is lot quieter in the 1st & 2nd fan speeds than the outgoing version.
Road/Tyre noise is well contained from entering the cabin.

On the whole its a much much improved car is for sure.I am actually planning to go for the Manza's double barrel lights.They should look stunning with the honey comb grill on my vista.
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 20:10   #908
Senior - BHPian

I own the Vista Quadrajet Aura and have done around 58K on the odo. Have been servicing the vehicle at the scheduled intervals without fail.

Today evening in the office parking lot started the car after the glow plug indicator turned off. After the car started noticed that the Service Indicator had turned ON and even the Glow Plug indicator was ON. The Glow Plug indicator got turned off after a few seconds. Was puzzled and so turned off the ignition and started the car again. The same behaviour was noticed. Decided to move on as did not have any option at that point of time.

Kept a watch on the service indicator. For the initial 3-4 Kms the Service Indicator followed a pattern of being ON for about 30-40 secs - then turning OFF for about 20 secs - and then coming back ON again. But after about 5 Kms the service indicator was ON permanently till the time i reached home.

Questions for fellow Vista Owners:
- Has anyone faced similar issue before?
- I did not notice any changes in the car's performance while driving around 23 KMs with the service indicator ON. So what could be the possible problem?
- I hope driving for some 25 odd KMs would not have done too much of a damage?
- Now i believe i should not drive the car unless the issue is rectified by the service centre. The problem is getting an appointment would take atleast 3-4 days minimum. Any other alternatives to TATA A$$ where i can do a quick check?

Coincidentally today morning i got a mail from Tata Motors that my next service is due on 16th Feb, eventhough i had not scheduled any service.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 21:45   #909
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista VX

Quote:
I am actually planning to go for the Manza's double barrel lights.They should look stunning with the honey comb grill on my vista.
tried doing that on my first gen indica (putting the dual reflector HL from the indigo)
You'll have to change the wiring too, which i was told is a major pain/expensive, so it might not be feasible. Do check this before buying a pair of these headlights
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 21:58   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Any other alternatives to TATA A$$ where i can do a quick check?
Disconnect the battery terminals. Reconnect after 30 mins or so. If it is just an indicator issue, the light will stop glowing.

This problem has been faced quite a few times in my Indica Xeta.
Marlon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 08:45   #911
BHPian

Quote:
I own the Vista Quadrajet Aura and have done around 58K on the odo. Have been servicing the vehicle at the scheduled intervals without fail.

Today evening in the office parking lot started the car after the glow plug indicator turned off. After the car started noticed that the Service Indicator had turned ON and even the Glow Plug indicator was ON. The Glow Plug indicator got turned off after a few seconds. Was puzzled and so turned off the ignition and started the car again. The same behaviour was noticed. Decided to move on as did not have any option at that point of time.

Kept a watch on the service indicator. For the initial 3-4 Kms the Service Indicator followed a pattern of being ON for about 30-40 secs - then turning OFF for about 20 secs - and then coming back ON again. But after about 5 Kms the service indicator was ON permanently till the time i reached home.

Questions for fellow Vista Owners:
- Has anyone faced similar issue before?
- I did not notice any changes in the car's performance while driving around 23 KMs with the service indicator ON. So what could be the possible problem?
- I hope driving for some 25 odd KMs would not have done too much of a damage?
- Now i believe i should not drive the car unless the issue is rectified by the service centre. The problem is getting an appointment would take atleast 3-4 days minimum. Any other alternatives to TATA A$$ where i can do a quick check?

Coincidentally today morning i got a mail from Tata Motors that my next service is due on 16th Feb, eventhough i had not scheduled any service.

You will have to connect a scanner to your Indica to accurately diagnose the reason for the sservice light coming on. If you are observing that the light is coming on after starting and along with the glow plug then probably thesrs some issue regarding glow plugs. The glow plugs are on even after starting the engine. They are kept on by the ECU unless the engine attains the required operating temperature. This is called post heating.

You can also visit any leading garage which has a scanner which should pinpoint the issue. You may require to change the glow plugs.

Thanks & regards

Samir
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 10:41   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
You will have to connect a scanner to your Indica to accurately diagnose the reason for the sservice light coming on. If you are observing that the light is coming on after starting and along with the glow plug then probably thesrs some issue regarding glow plugs. The glow plugs are on even after starting the engine. They are kept on by the ECU unless the engine attains the required operating temperature. This is called post heating.

You can also visit any leading garage which has a scanner which should pinpoint the issue. You may require to change the glow plugs.

Thanks & regards

Samir
Thanks Samir.

I think what you are indicating could be the possible reason. Glow Plugs seem to be the issue. As mentioned earlier, after starting the engine they become ON for 3-4 seconds along with the service indicator. Then the glow plug indicator goes OFF but the service indicator remains.

I have got the appointment for 17th Feb at the Service Centre. Surprising as it may seem i have not had any issues with Tata A$$ so far, so would go there to have a check. As it is only a matter of 2-3 days without a car would wait till 17th rather than going to a new untried service station.
Old 14th February 2012, 20:07   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Samir.

I think what you are indicating could be the possible reason. Glow Plugs seem to be the issue. As mentioned earlier, after starting the engine they become ON for 3-4 seconds along with the service indicator. Then the glow plug indicator goes OFF but the service indicator remains.

I have got the appointment for 17th Feb at the Service Centre. Surprising as it may seem i have not had any issues with Tata A$$ so far, so would go there to have a check. As it is only a matter of 2-3 days without a car would wait till 17th rather than going to a new untried service station.

If you dont have any probl;ems there is no problem in using the car even with the service light for 2 3 days.

Please let me know what the findings are.

Thanks & regards

Samir
CRDIsamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 22:31   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you dont have any probl;ems there is no problem in using the car even with the service light for 2 3 days.

Thanks & regards

Samir
Would not like to drive with the light on. Its the only car i have and don't want to take any risks.

Would definitely update the thread with the findings. I hope the service centre allows me to have a look while they are working on it. Else i am at their mercy with the diagnosis and would have to believe whatever they say.
Old 17th February 2012, 17:41   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks & regards

Samir
Got the car serviced at the service centre. Yes the issue was with one of the heating plugs. Cost of the plug Rs.759.12 plus Rs.200 Labour.

It seems ECU remap has to be done post this which cost Rs.450. I am not sure about this. Experts can comment. But the service advisor normally has been trustowrthy so i believe there has been no rip off.

As the routine service was also due at 60K kms got it done now itself at 58K to avoid one more visit.

Now the problem is resolved.