Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th February 2012, 22:06   #916
BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Got the car serviced at the service centre. Yes the issue was with one of the heating plugs. Cost of the plug Rs.759.12 plus Rs.200 Labour.

It seems ECU remap has to be done post this which cost Rs.450. I am not sure about this. Experts can comment. But the service advisor normally has been trustowrthy so i believe there has been no rip off.

As the routine service was also due at 60K kms got it done now itself at 58K to avoid one more visit.

Now the problem is resolved.

Do you face any problems with the vehicle electronics ? Apart from the service light due to heater plugs does it come on in between ? If not I dont think there is necessicity for ECU remap. To the best of my knowledge there is no upgrade in the software of the ECU recently. Hence I dont think it necessary to remap the ECU.

Thanks & regards

Samir
CRDIsamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 07:46   #917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
Do you face any problems with the vehicle electronics ? Apart from the service light due to heater plugs does it come on in between ? If not I dont think there is necessicity for ECU remap. To the best of my knowledge there is no upgrade in the software of the ECU recently. Hence I dont think it necessary to remap the ECU.

Thanks & regards

Samir
No did not face any other problem. But the SA told me that since the service indicator was remaining ON it was necessary to remap ECU and erase old data. So it was done.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 07:52   #918
BHPian

Quote:
No did not face any other problem. But the SA told me that since the service indicator was remaining ON it was necessary to remap ECU and erase old data. So it was done.

In that case the only thing necessary is to erase the fault code which has been stored in the memory. It is not necessary to remap the ECU or rewriting the software. Erasing the fault code should have been done as a part of the changing of the heaterplug.

Is the service light still on ? I dont think so. Secondly the service light will not glow to show that the ECU needs remapping.

Regards
CRDIsamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 20:15   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is the service light still on ? I dont think so. Secondly the service light will not glow to show that the ECU needs remapping.

Regards
The service light is not on now. The invoice lists the job as Erase Old ECU data. Do not recollect ECU remap written. I guess the SA was just throwing out some fancy terms.

But any issues even if the ECU remap is done? What exactly would have been done in that case?
Old 18th February 2012, 21:12   #920
BHPian

Quote:
The service light is not on now. The invoice lists the job as Erase Old ECU data. Do not recollect ECU remap written. I guess the SA was just throwing out some fancy terms.

But any issues even if the ECU remap is done? What exactly would have been done in that case?

Remapping ECU is nothing but formatting and rewriting the software. This is generally required if the service or the check engine light comes on frequently without any apparent reason. Or whenever there is a software upgrade from the manufacturer.

There are some agencies which do the remap of software to enhance the performance of the vehicle. Though this is not advisible as this can put the engine and the components under undue stress.

Regards

Samir
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 13:58   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Got the car serviced at the service centre. Yes the issue was with one of the heating plugs. Cost of the plug Rs.759.12 plus Rs.200 Labour.

Now the problem is resolved.
Good that the problem is resolved. Do you mean glow plugs? If yes, did they change all the plugs or only 1 or 2?
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 14:02   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Good that the problem is resolved. Do you mean glow plugs? If yes, did they change all the plugs or only 1 or 2?
Yes the glow plug. Only one was damaged which was changed. I was surprised with the cost of one of those.
Old 20th February 2012, 14:29   #923
BHPian

Maybe its OT here but worth mentioning. Not sure if the old Indica and the Vista share the same glow plugs. A fnrd of mine changed 1 glow plug for his Indica @ Lucas TVS for Rs. 250 only (4 for 1k). They were Bosch make. Labour is Rs. 100 only
He had gone to TASC initially and they gave him a cost of Rs. 1400 for 4 glow plugs. Add to that labour charges.

At times it does makes sense to visit Lucas instead of TASC.

Last edited by @Chaand : 20th February 2012 at 14:30.
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 14:41   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe its OT here but worth mentioning. Not sure if the old Indica and the Vista share the same glow plugs. A fnrd of mine changed 1 glow plug for his Indica @ Lucas TVS for Rs. 250 only (4 for 1k). They were Bosch make. Labour is Rs. 100 only
He had gone to TASC initially and they gave him a cost of Rs. 1400 for 4 glow plugs. Add to that labour charges.

No the Glow Plugs on Indica/ Indigo TDI are different from the Quadrajet or Dicor. The ones on TDI cost around Rs400/- per peice. The cost of the GP on Quadrajet is around Rs800/-. The cost of Glowplugs on Dicor are also around Rs800/-

Regards

Samir
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 16:16   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
No the Glow Plugs on Indica/ Indigo TDI are different from the Quadrajet or Dicor. The ones on TDI cost around Rs400/- per peice. The cost of the GP on Quadrajet is around Rs800/-. The cost of Glowplugs on Dicor are also around Rs800/-

Regards

Samir
Thanks Samir for the clarification. After reading Chaand's post i was wondering if i had been fleeced by TASC. Your post subsequently was a relief. There was no daylight robbery done by A$$.
Old 20th February 2012, 23:01   #926
BHPian

One simple question to all. Do you know how to adjust the low beam of Vista. I have tried with the provided adjusting screw type area on the head lamp. But all went in vain.

My right headlight was replaced by TA$$ under warranty. The small cover in front of the park lamp parted with its joint and were running inside the headlight. So they replaced. But till then the OEM headlight was well focused and covered much distance. But with the new one it covers only 3/4 of distance covered by the earlier headlight. I asked TA$$ 3 or 4 times to adjust the low beam. Instead they adjust the high and returned the car. This happened 4 times. When asking the similar answer.. "Sir, its correct as per our inspection. We have adjusting facility inside our workshop" .I have seen that they have. But I am not getting any results.

Now its a pain to drive in nights with inadequate light that too on the right side. I don't use high beams unless the road is empty.

Could you please help my friends?
Anz1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 10:08   #927
BHPian

Are you concerned about the L shaped projection that the lights throw on low beam ? meaning the left low beam has more throw than the right? then thats the way its supposed to be unless you want change that to an eliptical projection, meaning both low beams have same throw. Ask the TAS about this they would definately help, there is not much mechanics involved, if fact you can do it at home. I had a case where the left beam was hitting on coming traffic due to wrong fittment but it was corrected immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anz1979 View Post
One simple question to all. Do you know how to adjust the low beam of Vista. I have tried with the provided adjusting screw type area on the head lamp. But all went in vain.

My right headlight was replaced by TA$$ under warranty. The small cover in front of the park lamp parted with its joint and were running inside the headlight. So they replaced. But till then the OEM headlight was well focused and covered much distance. But with the new one it covers only 3/4 of distance covered by the earlier headlight. I asked TA$$ 3 or 4 times to adjust the low beam. Instead they adjust the high and returned the car. This happened 4 times. When asking the similar answer.. "Sir, its correct as per our inspection. We have adjusting facility inside our workshop" .I have seen that they have. But I am not getting any results.

Now its a pain to drive in nights with inadequate light that too on the right side. I don't use high beams unless the road is empty.

Could you please help my friends?
kartikk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 13:00   #928
BHPian

Quote:

Regards

Samir
Thanks for clarifying but the fact remains that TASC does charge a higher amount for the same product when compared to the market. I have pointed this out to my TASC as well during servicing as well as during customer meets. They agreed on the matter but mentioned that they could not do anything about it. For eg: when I wanted to replace the engine oil for my vista during the 10k servce, TASC quoted around Rs. 400 more than the market price for the same oil, TASC did not agree to me changing the oil from outside as it would 'void' the warranty.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 13:18   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying but the fact remains that TASC does charge a higher amount for the same product when compared to the market. I have pointed this out to my TASC as well during servicing as well as during customer meets. They agreed on the matter but mentioned that they could not do anything about it. For eg: when I wanted to replace the engine oil for my vista during the 10k servce, TASC quoted around Rs. 400 more than the market price for the same oil, TASC did not agree to me changing the oil from outside as it would 'void' the warranty.
Spares are the bread and butter for the Service Centres to earn money. So i am not surpised.

But changing engine oil from outside voids warranty?? This is news to me. So do did they force you to change the engine oil in the TASC during the service when it was due? Then what about coolants and other fluids which might require top ups?
Old 21st February 2012, 15:39   #930
BHPian

What the SA explained was that, they need the oil change to reflect in their system when any warranty claims are made, so if I oil is not changed from them, it does not reflect in their systems. If found that difficult to believe, but wen ahead with the oil change from TASC anyway.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote