Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 16:48   #946
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 133
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

I own a 2009 Indica Vista Aura QJD . I am facing a peculiar problem for the last couple of weeks. There is a peculiar “gud-gud” noise while accelerating between the speeds of 0-50 and below 2000 rpm. The sound disappears once the vehicle picks up speed & the turbo kicks in. The ride is smooth without any noise when I maintain constant speeds above 60 kmph.

I have shown the vehicle twice to Detroit motors & they have been unsuccessful in finding the root cause of this noise and have been told that this sound is common in all Vista’s. A local mechanic that I met today says that they have to open the gear box and the turbo unit to see the reason for the noise.

My vehicle has recently been serviced and I don’t think there is any issue with the gear box. Has anyone faced similar issues with Vista ?

Last edited by s@tan2s@int : 5th March 2012 at 16:49.
s@tan2s@int is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 20:26   #947
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 14
Thanked: 7 Times
Question Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
Guys,

I'd changed from the normal engine oil in my QJD Aura ABS to synthetic (Mobil) during my 10K service at TASS.
I was told by the service advisor at Pandit Motors, Pune, that QJDs come with synthetic oil from factory, that's why the service intervals are 10K Kms. If normal oils were used then the oil change would have to happen every 5K Kms. So, I'm confused when you say that you changed from normal to synthetic in your first oil change!
car_da_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 22:05   #948
BHPian
 
skumare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 86
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post
I own a 2009 Indica Vista Aura QJD . I am facing a peculiar problem for the last couple of weeks. There is a peculiar “gud-gud” noise while accelerating between the speeds of 0-50 and below 2000 rpm. The sound disappears once the vehicle picks up speed & the turbo kicks in. The ride is smooth without any noise when I maintain constant speeds above 60 kmph.

I have shown the vehicle twice to Detroit motors & they have been unsuccessful in finding the root cause of this noise and have been told that this sound is common in all Vista’s.
During the 1st service of my Vista VX QJD, I was also told (a) this is common in Vista QJD and (b) TML can't do much about it as the transmission unit also is built by Fiat for Vistas. While I am not sure if (b) is true, need to explore (a) when I go for 2nd service.

You can feel the gear-shift rod vibrating (if you place your palm on the knob) and hear the sound "dug-dug" when you start accelarating in lower gears.
skumare is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 22:12   #949
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 477
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post
I own a 2009 Indica Vista Aura QJD . I am facing a peculiar problem for the last couple of weeks. There is a peculiar “gud-gud” noise while accelerating between the speeds of 0-50 and below 2000 rpm. The sound disappears once the vehicle picks up speed & the turbo kicks in. The ride is smooth without any noise when I maintain constant speeds above 60 kmph.
Buddy, get your car checked at Concorde Motors. Recently during my trip to Chennai, I hit a manhole cover (cement ones) and the engine guard went loose. The same noise used to come at low speeds, mainly 1st and 2nd gear and used to settle as the speed increased and come back at 100+ speed.

Questions: Has something hit your car from the bottom ex: breaker, stone etc?

If yes, then it is probably the engine guard which vibrates at low speeds and settles down at 2k rpm and then again picks up the noise above 3k rpm.

I don't see this as a problem just with TATA as the same engine and transmission are also on Swift/DZire/Punto/Manza/TJet. So what goes here, goes wrong everywhere.

Try out Concorde once.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 22:20   #950
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 477
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post

I
Anyways, I am having a bigger issue now. Anytime I try to connect my mobile (Desire S), the head unit shows "Device Connected" and resets itself, this cycle is repeated every 10 secs or so. Any idea how this could be resolved without resetting the HU or the mobile ? I don't want to do a factory reset and then retune the head-unit.
Hi Satish, I had the same problem during my 5K service and told the Service Advisor about it. He said he will try to fix the same. If not I can take the car to Somajiguda at the Blaupunkt centre and they will fix it free for us.

However the problem has not cropped up after the reset.

Two solutions to this that I could find.

1: If you use a USB. If yes, get it scanned for viruses. Mine had. Got the viruses removed and therefore the problem seems to have resolved.

2. Delete all active connections from the Bluetooth of your phone and this might help you to some extent.
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 13:20   #951
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 111
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_da_mum View Post
I was told by the service advisor at Pandit Motors, Pune, that QJDs come with synthetic oil from factory, that's why the service intervals are 10K Kms. If normal oils were used then the oil change would have to happen every 5K Kms. So, I'm confused when you say that you changed from normal to synthetic in your first oil change!
Well.... The engine oil changes are at 10K. The first oil change happens at 5K and then again at 10K after that the interval is 10K.
Vista definitely does not come with synthetic oil from factory. They come with mineral oil.

regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 13:23   #952
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 111
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Guys,

For the past two visits to the TASS has been pretty bad. Delays, warranty process and approval taking time and niggles in the vehicle, which dont seem to end.

I'm thinking of selling my Jun 2010 Vista Aura ABS. Not sure how much my vehicle with fetch me in resale. The vehicle has done 20K Kms. Suggestions please.
regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 12:30   #953
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 14
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
Well.... The engine oil changes are at 10K. The first oil change happens at 5K and then again at 10K after that the interval is 10K.
Vista definitely does not come with synthetic oil from factory. They come with mineral oil.

regards,
lsjey
Even the owner's manual says the first engine oil change is at 10K, which happens at the 3rd free service. I have been following the servicing schedules strictly, and my car has done about 8K now. The oil was not changed during the second service.

Also, I'd looked at the engine oil's color when my car had done about 600 Kms. It was black, which is not the color when normal mineral oil is used. I'm told that synthetic oil changes to this kind of black color within about 50 Kms. I therefore concluded that my car was delivered with synthetic oil from the factory.
car_da_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 13:26   #954
BHPian
 
Arun.K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 120
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post
I own a 2009 Indica Vista Aura QJD . I am facing a peculiar problem for the last couple of weeks. There is a peculiar “gud-gud” noise while accelerating between the speeds of 0-50 and below 2000 rpm. The sound disappears once the vehicle picks up speed & the turbo kicks in. The ride is smooth without any noise when I maintain constant speeds above 60 kmph.
I do face the same problem for quite a long time in my 2009 Vista. The noise starts between 1500 and 1700 RPM and goes off after 1700 RPM. And this happens only during a gradual acceleration. Nowadays, I got used to the noise. Also I found out a way to stop the noise. I just accelerate fast between 1500 RPM and 1900 RPM and the noise stops.

Quote:
I have shown the vehicle twice to Detroit motors & they have been unsuccessful in finding the root cause of this noise and have been told that this sound is common in all Vista’s. A local mechanic that I met today says that they have to open the gear box and the turbo unit to see the reason for the noise.
TASC people were unable to solve the problem and got the same answer “common in all Vistas”. But that is not the case, as our other 2008 Vista which has run around 85K KMs, doesn’t have that noise. The noise is not related with turbo unit, as my Vista has a replaced turbo unit. It was replaced not for the noise issue, but for an oil leakage.
Arun.K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 14:10   #955
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 553
Thanked: 214 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
I do face the same problem for quite a long time in my 2009 Vista. The noise starts between 1500 and 1700 RPM and goes off after 1700 RPM. And this happens only during a gradual acceleration. Nowadays, I got used to the noise. Also I found out a way to stop the noise. I just accelerate fast between 1500 RPM and 1900 RPM and the noise stops.

TASC people were unable to solve the problem and got the same answer “common in all Vistas”. But that is not the case, as our other 2008 Vista which has run around 85K KMs, doesn’t have that noise. The noise is not related with turbo unit, as my Vista has a replaced turbo unit. It was replaced not for the noise issue, but for an oil leakage.
This is just a wild guess. This gud gud sound might be coming from brake pad rattles. Worn brake pads rattle and make thick gud gud sound. And this makes sound at particular frequency. Mine was coming between 1300-1500 rpm and over rough roads. All this gone after brake pad replacement.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 15:22   #956
BHPian
 
Sam.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

My 1 year old DT4 vista's engine goes dead when i engage the clutch for down shifting at lower gear speeds.But there's no knocking like when you really slow down in a specific gear.The power steering goes dead a well which is a major safety hazard.This has happened nearly 6-7 times in the last 40 odd days and i have a feeling that the frequency is increasing.Moreover i have had clutch problems from the beginning which TASC claims to have settled by replacing the clutch assembly,but nothing much has changed.Now,i dont know if the two issues may be linked.But something is just not right
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 15:40   #957
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 133
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
This is just a wild guess. This gud gud sound might be coming from brake pad rattles. Worn brake pads rattle and make thick gud gud sound. And this makes sound at particular frequency. Mine was coming between 1300-1500 rpm and over rough roads. All this gone after brake pad replacement.
This noise is not from the brake pads. I had the brake pads/ disc breaks replaced in the last service.
s@tan2s@int is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 14:17   #958
BHPian
 
Arun.K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 120
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
My 1 year old DT4 vista's engine goes dead when i engage the clutch for down shifting at lower gear speeds.But there's no knocking like when you really slow down in a specific gear.The power steering goes dead a well which is a major safety hazard.This has happened nearly 6-7 times in the last 40 odd days and i have a feeling that the frequency is increasing.Moreover i have had clutch problems from the beginning which TASC claims to have settled by replacing the clutch assembly,but nothing much has changed.Now,i dont know if the two issues may be linked.But something is just not right
Sam.k, get the problem rectified at the earliest. I hope you still service your Vista at Autozone. If so ask your service advisor to request Mr. Murugan, to take a test drive. Out of my experience at Autozone, he is one of the best in identifying most of the problems.
Arun.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 12:25   #959
BHPian
 
Sam.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
Sam.k, get the problem rectified at the earliest. I hope you still service your Vista at Autozone. If so ask your service advisor to request Mr. Murugan, to take a test drive. Out of my experience at Autozone, he is one of the best in identifying most of the problems.
Arun- I am actually planning to try TAFE next,cos i am not happy with their fault finding or their problem solving mechanism.I have been made to run around for some stuff before and they are yet to fix some very minor issues eventhough i have been to them for the last 2 free services and more.

The minor issues are
  1. RVM & ORVM vibrate at city speeds and hile hitting pot holes
  2. Rattling from the front right dashboard
  3. Clutch hardness,inspite of claiming to have changed the assembly once
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 13:15   #960
BHPian
 
Arun.K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 120
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Arun- I am actually planning to try TAFE next,cos i am not happy with their fault finding or their problem solving mechanism.I have been made to run around for some stuff before and they are yet to fix some very minor issues eventhough i have been to them for the last 2 free services and more.
Sam, I feel TAFE is not so good when compared with Autozone. Most of the service advisors don’t even care to attend the customers. I have been there two years back for Vista’s service. I don’t know about the present scenario of their TATA cars service division. Hope it would’ve improved by this time. Anyway just give a try at TAFE for fixing the minor issues. Who was your regular service advisor at Autozone?
Arun.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems Ice Technical Stuff 304 23rd October 2016 13:31
Help Required Indica Vista Safire or Indica Vista TDI Logical Hatchbacks 63 30th October 2011 08:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks