Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th April 2012, 17:01   #976
BHPian

Default Re: Buy a tata car u will be in real trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
The vehicle is just 1 year and 20 days old. The issue is with the Alternator. They confirmed that the alternator is made by a company called "Value" . What the heck I have never heard a company called "Value" .
The make is not Value but Valeo.Home It seems it is manufactured out of Pune in a shop set up as a JV between Minda and Valeo. Manza also shares the same alternator and it failed in my Manza (16K and only after 10 months) as well as on few other Manzas owned bhpians. My car was out at TASS over a period of 10 days for the alternator to arrive. You may check the Manza issues thread for more info.
The failure rates of Valeo alternators seems high and one wonders whether they have addressed it in their recent vehicles.

If I recall my readings correctly, Tatas shifted from Lucas TVS to Bosch and other vendors like Valeo for their electricals when they introduced Vista.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 19th April 2012 at 17:04.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 17:18   #977
BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
How old the car is? Glow plugs is the first thing I'd check, assuming ur car is a diesel. Please update us back. thanks
Just came back from TASS. At 1st they told me that this is a battery issue since it is almost 4 years old. They also checked the SP and indicated that the battery is just 1/2 charged and it needs charging.

I was still insistent that they should hook the car to the lap top and check the error codes. After some time a mechanic came with the lap top hooked it and saw the error codes. To my utter surprise it was showing:

P0087: Rail Pressure Too Low

An immediate Google for Engine Error codes revealed that there could be an issue with the injector, solenoid or failed fuel pump.

Next a mechanic came and checked the engine and told me that this could be due to some oil leakage also. However I am taking the car back to Tata Motor's on next Monday/Tuesday since I have a function at home on the weekend and need the car.

Any advises or solutions will be most welcome.
Maverick1977 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 11:45   #978
BHPian

Any idea if the 4th free service could be availed at 18k and odd kms as i am facing some issues that need immediate attention as well.
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 14:37   #979
BHPian

My wife's three years 6 month old vista qjd which has run 39,000 kms has developed a problem with the gear shift. There is a grinding noise when changing gears and it difficult to engage certain gears also clutch feels a bit hard to depress completely when compared to before.
Is this a sign of impending clutch failure or some problem with the gear box? I have taken additional 2 years warranty so will the clutch and gearbox be covered under it.
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 14:49   #980
Senior - BHPian

clutch is one of the possiblities - I had the same issue in my first gen indica, and it was changed, but was not covered under warranty. as the clutch comes under the wear and tear category. Anything they can weasel out of covering, they will.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 14:59   #981
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Just came back from TASS. At 1st they told me that this is a battery issue since it is almost 4 years old. They also checked the SP and indicated that the battery is just 1/2 charged and it needs charging.

I was still insistent that they should hook the car to the lap top and check the error codes. After some time a mechanic came with the lap top hooked it and saw the error codes. To my utter surprise it was showing:

An immediate Google for Engine Error codes revealed that there could be an issue with the injector, solenoid or failed fuel pump.

Next a mechanic came and checked the engine and told me that this could be due to some oil leakage also. However I am taking the car back to Tata Motor's on next Monday/Tuesday since I have a function at home on the weekend and need the car.

I have also got the same error code. TASC did something for which they did not issue me any work sheet/bill. Unfortunatey it appered only once( error code) even though the problem came several times( loss of power around 2000 RPM)
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 16:03   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post

Yes, what google said is correct. Power loss in diesels can be due to rail pressure. Also the new generation common rail engines are sensitive to rail pressure. There are chances that the fuel pump need to be changed. Don't worry, fuel pump is covered under warranty, so not much hassles. Also, if there is a problem with the pump it will definitely show up again before not much time.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 16:19   #983
BHPian

Default Cabin air/ac filter in Vista?

Is there a cabin ac/air filter in Vista that could be serviced/cleaned or replaced? I gave my car for 2nd service and asked them to look at the cabin air filter to diagnose some smell in the cabin, especially after switching off A/C. TASS guys said there is only one air filter in the engine bay and there is no cabin air filter. They said they will clean the a/c inlets and other parts to eliminate the smell. However, I read about cabin air filters in other cars and would like to know if there is one in Vista.
skumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 13:22   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Any idea if the 4th free service could be availed at 18k and odd kms as i am facing some issues that need immediate attention as well.
Sam, it can be availed at 18K KMs. I did my 4th service at 18K+ KMs, but at the end of 2nd year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I have also got the same error code. TASC did something for which they did not issue me any work sheet/bill. Unfortunatey it appered only once( error code) even though the problem came several times( loss of power around 2000 RPM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Yes, what google said is correct. Power loss in diesels can be due to rail pressure. Also the new generation common rail engines are sensitive to rail pressure. There are chances that the fuel pump need to be changed. Don't worry, fuel pump is covered under warranty, so not much hassles. Also, if there is a problem with the pump it will definitely show up again before not much time.
I'm facing the same problem of power loss around 2000 RPM especially in 2nd and 3rd gear for quite sometime. This happens at times. TASC people couldn't find a solution to the problem till now, they say everything is fine. Let me ask them to check whether the same error code is showing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Is there a cabin ac/air filter in Vista that could be serviced/cleaned or replaced? I gave my car for 2nd service and asked them to look at the cabin air filter to diagnose some smell in the cabin, especially after switching off A/C. TASS guys said there is only one air filter in the engine bay and there is no cabin air filter. They said they will clean the a/c inlets and other parts to eliminate the smell. However, I read about cabin air filters in other cars and would like to know if there is one in Vista.
There is a cabin AC filter in Vista under the glove box, which can be cleaned. TASC people have done it a couple of times in both of our Vistas.
Arun.K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 15:59   #985
BHPian

Doe anybody know if the new vista's(lx/vx) have clutch upgrade/tweaks?The reason i am asking because is my F-I-L has a 3 month old VX and the clutch is butter smooth.I mean the difference in the vehicle's smoothness & power power delivery in gears is very obvious in a good way.Thinking of replacing the existing clutch assy if there is a difference.
Old 21st April 2012, 20:47   #986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
foby, have you tried escalating it to their customer support ?
this does seem rather unreasonable
I went to the TASS and sith their GM even he blames the product quality. Any way monday they are gonna remove it and check lets see. Any way Tata started screwing my day to day life with Indica Vista.
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 23:06   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Doe anybody know if the new vista's(lx/vx) have clutch upgrade/tweaks?The reason i am asking because is my F-I-L has a 3 month old VX and the clutch is butter smooth.I mean the difference in the vehicle's smoothness & power power delivery in gears is very obvious in a good way.Thinking of replacing the existing clutch assy if there is a difference.
It was reported by one of the forum members earlier that the improvements in the newer vista includes a softer clutch though it has not been officially mentioned.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 23:19   #988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
I went to the TASS and sith their GM even he blames the product quality. Any way monday they are gonna remove it and check lets see. Any way Tata started screwing my day to day life with Indica Vista.
I meant have you tried the numbers here
Tata Motors Customer Care :: Reach Us
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 18:14   #989
BHPian

There is some mild oil seepage near the inlet of turbo compressor. Will it be due to some malfunction in turbo? Right now my Vista has run 27100 KMs. Turbo compressor and segregator was replaced under warranty for the same reason and black smoke at 15900 KMs. The recurrence of the problems is really annoying.
Indica Vista - list of Known problems-turbo1.jpg
Indica Vista - list of Known problems-turbo3.jpg
Since my Vista is now in extended warranty should I have to pay anything, especially labour, for a repeated problem done under warranty? Any advices?

Last edited by Arun.K : 24th April 2012 at 18:15.
Arun.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 14:32   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
There is some mild oil seepage near the inlet of turbo compressor. Will it be due to some malfunction in turbo? Right now my Vista has run 27100 KMs. Turbo compressor and segregator was replaced under warranty for the same reason and black smoke at 15900 KMs. The recurrence of the problems is really annoying.
Attachment 919880
Attachment 919881
Since my Vista is now in extended warranty should I have to pay anything, especially labour, for a repeated problem done under warranty? Any advices?
Arun - I presume that it would be covered under extended warranty.However,check with the toll free customer care.

Do all TASC's recommend synthetic oil for vistas?My vista is due for 4th free service and TASC is advising me to switch to synthetic oil. Please advise!