Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th April 2012, 15:50   #991
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buy a tata car u will be in real trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
I have got a vista referesh QJD with drivetech Gears. its a terra , the reason why i went for a terra was to stay away from eletronic hazzles in long run anticipating that i will use this car for 5 years.
AT last I got my car after a week TASS found that there was a loose connection inside the Valueo alternator.

That could have been identified in the first day it self , but Tass(Kulathunkal motors - Trivandrum) took a week to identify after leaving the car for a week.

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2012 at 12:13. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 15:47   #992
BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Arun - I presume that it would be covered under extended warranty.However,check with the toll free customer care.

Do all TASC's recommend synthetic oil for vistas?My vista is due for 4th free service and TASC is advising me to switch to synthetic oil. Please advise!
Sam, TASC people say the problem might be with EGR valve. In addition to it there is some problem with the starter motor. Yesterday all of a sudden it stopped working. It just gives a "tuk" sound while cranking up. So my Vista is lying with TASC for the extended warranty claim approval from TATA.

Both of our Vistas run on mineral oil. The one I drive run on Mobil Super 1000TM and the other on HP Milcy/Castrol GTD. I changed to Castrol Edge synthetic during 3rd service. I switched to Super 1000TM during 4th service as I could not see remarkable difference. Moreover TASC people recommend oil change every year and as I drive less than 10000 KMs in a year, I thought it is not worth for the extra money that synthetic carries. Even the other Vista which runs around 20000 KMs+/Yr is always on normal oil. The engine is quite and revs smooth.

BTW, Yesterday I spotted your Vista in the wash area of TASC.
Arun.K is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 20:36   #993
Senior - BHPian

foby, try another TASC. In TVM, I would rate Focus the best, followed by Mohandas followed by kulathunkal.
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 21:03   #994

Angry Re: Buy a tata car u will be in real trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
AT last I got my car after a week TASS found that there was a loose connection inside the Valueo alternator.

That could have been identified in the first day it self , but Tass(Kulathunkal motors - Trivandrum) took a week to identify after leaving the car for a week.
I went through the same experience. The only difference is my experience was more costly, lengthy and is still going on:

approximately six months back I took my vehicle to KHT motors Bangalore for normal repair work.

When I took delivery car did not start. They jump started the car and justified by mistake the light was on and battery got discharged.

I reached my home after driving approximately 7 KMs. When tried to start again the same problem happened.

I called them and they sent their on road assistance vehicle and again started my car engine and adviced me that I should drive it for at least 25-30 kms to get the battery recharged. I left my vehicle in engine running for 2 hours to charge the battery .

My car's bottom hit the road when riding on bangalore's always digged road and after one month I discovered oil leakage from the gear box and again the battery/self start problem started. I tried to charge the battery by engine running for 2 hours but it didn't help.

I took my car to Prerna motors (from here the horrible story began). They took 48 days to complete the work !!!!

Initially I was informed that battery gone bad. (for me its very strange as I never faced any battery discharge problem before). They completed the gearbox enclosure change. after 38 daays they informed me the gear box work has been completed. But car is still not sharging the new battery !!!

They informed me they need one more day to check the Alternator. They never reverted and when I called them they told me the alternator is also faulty and contributed to battery problem. They again need 3 days.

When after 5 days I called them they told me the alternator repair work has been completed and I can collect the vehicle.

When I visited they gave me 51K bill. The insurance company has covered 20k only.

The alternator repair work billed for Rs 11K. Which is not covered under extended warranty as I have not serviced my vehicle in prescribed intervals.

So I escalated the matter to TATA officials and they agreed to bear the alternator repair work against the extended warranty.

So I paid >20k and took the delivery after 50days.

Now I found that gear shifting is not smooth at all. vehicle has grease marks all over the dash board. The fuel level was at bottom. One RVM knob cover was missing. there was dust everywhere inside the car. Worst of all they were hesitant in returning my old battery.

I visited again and they returned the old battery but no body was willing to handle my complaints as Workshop manager was on leave today (he was supervising my vehicle work). They asked me to come after 1.30 hour. When I was on the way to workshop again they called me and asked me to come on monday as the person responsible for cleaning and washing was on leave today.

PS: My advice "if you are in Bangalore never ever consider Prerna motors for any work".
vijay_01 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 13:06   #995

Default Re: Buy a tata car u will be in real trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_01 View Post
I went through the same experience. The only difference is my experience was more costly, lengthy and is still going on:
==========================
PS: My advice "if you are in Bangalore never ever consider Prerna motors for any work".

Thanks for the caution. Tata car owners in Pune, ironically, don't have much choice when it comes to authorized service stations where warranty claims can be handled. I purchased my Vista Aura QJD from National Autowheels. Their workshop is well equipped but they do not have trained technicians. The overall experience with them (I went there for the first two services, which is practically nothing more than just washing the car) was apalling. So I changed to Pandit Automotive's workshop in MIDC Bhosari. They are much much better than National Automotives, but still far short of what I've generally experienced with Maruti service centres (I had an Alto before I bought my Vista). I have pointed out issues with my car twice to the Service Advisor in Pandit Automotive's workshop, but the guy (his name is Kiran) just does a test drive and says everything is ok. He even claims he's done a diagnostic on the ECU with his laptop and everything is fine. I just don't believe him. If everything is fine then how does one explain the pathetic fuel average of 14-16 Km/L and the woefully bad pick-up? Till about 5000 Km my car had the typical turbo boost that QJDs are well known for. Then one day all that dissappeared. But Mr. Kiran insists that everything is fine. He's just added two dozes of fuel injector cleaner (and that's probably because it's chargeable even under warranty) and says "all will be fine". Again, the blower's recirculation motor is gone and will be replaced under warranty - for which Kiran says I have to leave the car at the workshop for 2 days. If this is the ownership experience for Tata cars in Pune, I wonder what owners elsewhere are having to go through. I think I'll never ever go for another Tata car, nor would I recommend Tata cars to anyone who asks me about my ownership experience.
car_da_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:54   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
Sam, TASC people say the problem might be with EGR valve. In addition to it there is some problem with the starter motor. Yesterday all of a sudden it stopped working. It just gives a "tuk" sound while cranking up. So my Vista is lying with TASC for the extended warranty claim approval from TATA.

Both of our Vistas run on mineral oil. The one I drive run on Mobil Super 1000TM and the other on HP Milcy/Castrol GTD. I changed to Castrol Edge synthetic during 3rd service. I switched to Super 1000TM during 4th service as I could not see remarkable difference. Moreover TASC people recommend oil change every year and as I drive less than 10000 KMs in a year, I thought it is not worth for the extra money that synthetic carries. Even the other Vista which runs around 20000 KMs+/Yr is always on normal oil. The engine is quite and revs smooth.

BTW, Yesterday I spotted your Vista in the wash area of TASC.
Any ways,i did a round trip to Hosur and back during the weekend and i do find a noticeable difference in the engine smoothness after the synthetic oil fill.Higher Rev's are smoother now and that's pretty much it.The only other significant plus would be the 20k drain interval.But my tire wobbling issues are back.

Was it you who drove out a silver grey vista (tn 38 be ????)parked in front of mine from TASC around 3pm on the same day.
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:53   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Any ways,i did a round trip to Hosur and back during the weekend and i do find a noticeable difference in the engine smoothness after the synthetic oil fill.Higher Rev's are smoother now and that's pretty much it.The only other significant plus would be the 20k drain interval.But my tire wobbling issues are back.
Which synthetic oil was used? How much did TASC guys charge for 3.2 Lts?

Quote:
Was it you who drove out a silver grey vista (tn 38 be ????)parked in front of mine from TASC around 3pm on the same day.
No, mine is a Arctic Silver (TN 37 BC XXXX) and guess you meant the same color. I left TASC around 2.30 PM. Hoping to catch you soon.
Arun.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 06:17   #998
BHPian

@foby.sebastian:

Brother when we buy a TATA we should have the mind to face the quality issues. I have a 2008 initial release Vista Aura QJD. The car was running perfect. One day in 2010 I want to visit my native for a funeral and my family got ready for the journey and when I cranked to start, it has no response! I had used the car for a 50-60km drive the previous day. So I am damn sure that this is not a battery problem. Called the customer care in Pune and they send one man somewhere from Trivandrum after 3 hours and he tried his best to start it. At last he said we need to take this to our TASC for detailed inspection and he started calling their pickup van. So they are going to tow my car. I didn’t felt that a practicable resolution.
While he was busy in the phone, I thought about the issue. All electrical including power windows are working smooth. But there is no “tak tak/tik tik” sound from the starter on cranking. So may be power not reaching starter/alternator and can be a loose connection or issue with starter motor. Asked him to check the starter motor and with much difficulty he did that and find out a loose wire as he said. Adjusted it and cranked the car started.
After that I have taken my car to Kulathunkaal Motors for inspection and thy said they have fixed it and won’t replicate. But it did and on next visit they said alternator faulty and have fixed it. Again it occurred 4 or 5 times. I know how to solve it. Open the bonnet Take your hand between the air filter compartment and the fire wall. Give a small tap/fiddling with the wires there and then do crank, it will start. Strange problem always have strange remedies .
Anz1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 19:23   #999
BHPian

The issue with the Indica Vista is that strange (& unwanted) features tend to develop over night. Last Monday morning my HU was working fine in the morning, all of a sudden in the evening it just stopped. Tuesday was a public holiday & I was to go to my friend's place some 50 odd km from my place. Whole way I ended up listening to music on my mobile which was outright pathetic. Wednesday I take my car to TASS they check & tell me whole key set has to be changed since the circuit in the ACC position has gone kaput. Cost -3 K, extended warranty: not covered. I was furious and when the SA was not there I told the mechanic to use his brains and do something.
He then told me that the system would start on the ignition position. I just told him to go ahead & do it & voila things are working fantastically well. Cost: NIL.
I am still afraid which thing will go kaput next! Giving my car to them for Service, Oil change & engine repairs.
What's the amount of oil which needs to go in the Vista Quadrajet? Please enlighten!
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 16:28   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
Which synthetic oil was used? How much did TASC guys charge for 3.2 Lts?
Thats a mystery still between Mobil & Castrol.I wish it was Mobil

I need to get the SA to drive the car above 100kmph inorder for him to understand what exactly the issue is with the steering & tire wobble above that speeds.Somehow i always get lame excuses like "i drove it till 100 sir,no wobbling now" .
Sam.k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 13:07   #1001
BHPian

I guess I have 1 more problem with my car.
Today while coming to office I heard some loud noise which seemed to be emanating from the hood or from the silencer. It happened twice. I have experienced something similar during my biking days when the spark plug used to go faulty, but then this car being a diesel does not have any of those.

Can some one throw some light on this. I am giving the car for service and repairs tomorrow morning and TASS does not accept problems which they themselves cannot see or experience.

Missed out asking if its possible that I get the oil changed from outside? I have always doubted if TASS guys change the oil properly or not. Thrice I have got the oil changed and during the delivery noticed that the colour of the oil is already black!

Last edited by Maverick1977 : 7th May 2012 at 13:09.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:23   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I guess I have 1 more problem with my car.
Today while coming to office I heard some loud noise which seemed to be emanating from the hood or from the silencer. It happened twice. I have experienced something similar during my biking days when the spark plug used to go faulty, but then this car being a diesel does not have any of those.

Can some one throw some light on this. I am giving the car for service and repairs tomorrow morning and TASS does not accept problems which they themselves cannot see or experience.

Missed out asking if its possible that I get the oil changed from outside? I have always doubted if TASS guys change the oil properly or not. Thrice I have got the oil changed and during the delivery noticed that the colour of the oil is already black!
Maverick1977 - Get the best service adviser to drive the car and explain to them if its intermittent.On the other hand escalate the issue to TATA motors if they are ignoring the fault.Somehow only escalation of matters works with them.Dont know why though.I am facing a similar situation and have already had a nasty day with regard to my Good year tire's.All the best.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:54   #1003
BHPian

Update: Gave my car for service yesterday along with the fixes that need to be done. Surprisingly they told me that the supposed 'oil' that was leaking was actually DIESEL. I was furious and told them that if this was the case they should have let me know before hand. I had done a very quick Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai trip a few days back and that too with small amounts of diesel leaking. I was perturbed and asked what if the car would have caught fire on the expressway. They calmly replied that since it was diesel fuel it was unlikely to catch fire.
Am planning to go today evening or tomorrow morning to seek an update from them.

Has any one faced this issue before?
Old 9th May 2012, 16:20   #1004
BHPian

My 20k run Vista has had 2 tyre's replaced by Good year(GT3's) during 3rd free service @ 10k kms after escalation through TASC about wheel & steering wobble at speeds around 40kmph & above 100kmph on highways. The replacement was done after a Good year associate inspected and observed that two tyre's insides were wearing out and that's the reason for the issue. I had to pay a prorated wear & tear fee of about Rs.1600 (800+800) for new tyres and were used at the front.
Now, after the 4th free service tyre rotation, the issue has resurfaced, ditto as mentioned above. The original pair from the rear has been shifted to the front. After the same escalation process the same Good year associate started blaming the rims for the issue without even taking a test ride. He even went to the extent of blaming Indian road surfaces saying that all cars with any brand of tyre will have similar issues in India and its only abroad where these issues don’t surface bcos of their quality roads and cars. After his standup comedy, the tyres were used in another vista and taken out for a spin. The steering wobble was evident and he has agreed to replace the old pair but again upon payment of wear & tear fee of about Rs.1800 per tyre for the new pair. I have made it clear that I wouldn’t be paying bcos the associate had not diagnosed properly during the first escalation and maybe he actually replaced the wrong pair by mistake.

Do I actually have a stand against GOOD YEAR to replace the faulty tyres free of cost because of their carelessness? I do have their previous acknowledgement letters and also a query number for the current escalation.
Old 9th May 2012, 20:49   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Vista QJD- I routinely drive to Hilly routes near My place. recently, I face a issue. In Steepy Ghats, Car lacks the power.
It is, at low rpm, Vista struggles to climb hills in 2nd or 3rd gear. I already reported this to Concorde,Ernakulam whose SA's will take a plain test drive through National highway 47 and deems Car is fine. I asked to check Turbo, and they says Turbo is OK. I know, Turbo is not the reason since the power loss is at low rpms.

Any Clue what is preventing Car from lacking the torque in low rpms?

Another persistent problem is Wheel alignment goes off even after 1000-1500kms after fresh alignment. I am spending like Rs200 for Alignment every 2000kms.

this Car carries dreaded Goodyear GT3 tyres with the squealing sound when swerving at corners(which I already posted in this thread long back and yet not resolved). :(

Our Car is on Extended Warranty.(Bought on December 2009). I have already reported through this page:
http://customercare.tatamotors.com/Complaint.aspx

Last edited by deepclutch : 9th May 2012 at 21:19. Reason: updated with other issues facing with the car
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote