Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd May 2012, 18:40   #1021
BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anz1979 View Post
Recently from last 2 months I feel a noticeable power loss in third gear. And it emits enormous black smoke in third. The car is going in for 50k service next month. What are the things I should consider in this power loss issue?

Air filter is stock and new. Done only 1000 km, but its seen as clean on inspection.
Mine is also quadrajet, latest version (VX), done 5700km. After the 5k service, noticed powerloss and black smoke when turbo kicks in. Realized that I had to get the rotation/alignement done (not done earlier in the service) and the need for this was also apparent. Got the alignment done with rotation and felt the issue has come down significantly. The tyre center also mentioned I was running on low pressure. I am still analyzing if the problem remains and will visit the TASS shortly.
skumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 11:46   #1022
BHPian

Default Re: Poor Mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Hi Guys,
I have been getting very poor mileage in my Vista Quadrajet. I always check full tank to full tank and have never got more than 13 KMPL (with A/C on always). She has already done around 2400 kms. I noticed a lot of black smoke from her exhaust and prerana motors service station cleaned the air filter and reset the car ECU, now the black smoke is gone but the mileage is still bad, i got 11 after that. I had been to mysore once and i got just 14. Any info/help is seriously appreciated.
I have the same problem on my Indica Vista QJD (Diesel) as well. Have been observing from the last 6-8 months. Mileage dipped from 13kmpl and last week when I topped the tank, it was a meagre 9.55 kmpl! Black smoke emits from the exhaust when I try to accelerate, all the time. I got it checked in a local mechanic shop near my house - changed air filter, oil filter, replaced oil and the guy cleaned the filters with a decarbonizing spray. No change. I tried diesel from almost 6-7 bunks, still the same. Concorde motors did a carbon cleaning 3 months back and I got 13 kmpl for a month, then back to < 11 kmpl. I would like to put on record that I NEVER EVER got more than 13kmpl (with AC on) on my Vista since I bought it (Nov 2008). Please help me understand what the issue could be and suggest next course of action. Thanks.
andescondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 10:59   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I own the Vista Quadrajet Aura and have done around 58K on the odo. Have been servicing the vehicle at the scheduled intervals without fail.

Today evening in the office parking lot started the car after the glow plug indicator turned off. After the car started noticed that the Service Indicator had turned ON and even the Glow Plug indicator was ON. The Glow Plug indicator got turned off after a few seconds. Was puzzled and so turned off the ignition and started the car again. The same behaviour was noticed. Decided to move on as did not have any option at that point of time.

Kept a watch on the service indicator. For the initial 3-4 Kms the Service Indicator followed a pattern of being ON for about 30-40 secs - then turning OFF for about 20 secs - and then coming back ON again. But after about 5 Kms the service indicator was ON permanently till the time i reached home.
Quote:
Got the car serviced at the service centre. Yes the issue was with one of the heating plugs. Cost of the plug Rs.759.12 plus Rs.200 Labour.

It seems ECU remap has to be done post this which cost Rs.450. I am not sure about this. Experts can comment. But the service advisor normally has been trustowrthy so i believe there has been no rip off.

As the routine service was also due at 60K kms got it done now itself at 58K to avoid one more visit.

Now the problem is resolved.
I had reported the above problem in February and today once again within 4 months and 5K Kms the Service Indicator is once again on. This time around i did not notice the glow plug indicator to be on. But would monitor it closely today evening.

Question for Vista owners in Pune - I am thinking i should not go to the TASS this time to resolve the issue. Is anyone aware of any other good service centre/garage who can look into this issue for Vista Quadrajet?
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:49   #1024
BHPian

My car is a Red VISTA TDi. I had a front suspension problem where the Fr. Left side was rattling over small bumps at any speed. Took it to the not very liked TATA AIG( Not the insurance Co....but Auto Industries GOA) and they recommended a replacement of some bushes and rods and blah. I showed them the extended warranty card. Said they would duly note the details and carry out the repairs and forward the claim to the insurers. Meanwhile i had to settle the bill(Rs. 6k +) I was told if the claim was passed the insurers would reimburse me. The defective parts were retained by the dealer to process the claim. All done. Now the wait. After 4 months I was told the claim was passed and the cheque would come to me in due course.
Fifth, Sixth month nothing. Eventually, the response did come from the Insurer ( but to the Dealer- who failed to convey it to me) This time I was told that the claim was rejected cause of a discrepancy. Say what?? I demanded to know on what grounds was it rejected as ALL the services were done at the same dealers place and asked for a copy of the service records. They showed me a screen with the details and HAH! The fault was with these jokers. They had entered wrong KM readings for most of the times the car was given for servicing. How could that happen? Is not the System centralized? would not someone ( if not the software) notice this human blunder? I got a partial hard copy of the service record. now I Intend to follow this up with the Company. Any pointers to who i can escalate this with in the Company would be welcome. This dealer is known for Shoddy service. Many Goans prefer to go to Belgaum to get their vehicles serviced. Better service and timely work, I am told. I am yet to get a AC Recirculation Vent replaced. But that is another Story. More later!
boohooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 22:21   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
This seems to be the problem everywhere.
I was told by my TASC that they are reimbursed by the insurance agency which gives out the ext warranty payment only after some sort of review. So they can't go on replacing parts left and right like they can when tata is footing the bill. So if they do something under extended warranty without sufficent justification/proof, the claim will not be paid out. And we all know how stingy insurance cos and get , and Insuring an indica for 2 years for 4k (or any tata product) is bound to be a lose-lose offer for the insurance co unless they refuse everything outright.

Some TASCs try to avoid this burden. Mine chose to pass it onto me instead. The dude at my TASC said that they were going to stop ext warranty claim repairs altogether. Eventually I was paid just around 80% of the claim amount, and that too after several months and calls to tata customer support.
fill up the form here
Tata Motors Customer Support :: Complaint

usually someone should reply in a few days. You'll get connected to someone at tata motors customer support who should hopefully light a fire under your lazy tata service center's behind

If you dont recieve a call back, try contacting Tata Motors Customer Care :: Reach Us
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:35   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS-II View Post
hi,

not sure if all had a chance to see this. Vistas in Hollywood movie!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ood-movie.html (Have you ever seen so many (Indica) Vistas in a Hollywood movie?)

cheers..
It sure is Vista, Aura or above.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 12:53   #1027
BHPian

Is there anyway i can buy the height adjustable drivers seat separately and how much it might cost?

Also does switching from air to nitrogen for the tyres advisable?Any noticeable differences in tyre noise etc?

Last edited by Sam.k : 4th August 2012 at 12:56.
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 12:54   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Mine is also quadrajet, latest version (VX), done 5700km. After the 5k service, noticed powerloss and black smoke when turbo kicks in. Realized that I had to get the rotation/alignement done (not done earlier in the service) and the need for this was also apparent. Got the alignment done with rotation and felt the issue has come down significantly. The tyre center also mentioned I was running on low pressure. I am still analyzing if the problem remains and will visit the TASS shortly.
skumare- Do u notice any difference in the clutch?As in has it gotten harder/rough?
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 18:58   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
skumare- Do u notice any difference in the clutch?As in has it gotten harder/rough?
Done ~7500km now, clutch and engine have become smooth now. However, clutch engages with a bang/thud in lower grears (1/2/3), this is as is from the beginning.
skumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 13:46   #1030
BHPian

Seems like problems and my Vista are married to each other and are simply refusing to divorce each other also howsoever I may try. There's a new and somewhat worrying issue that has cropped up. To sum it up in 1 sentence:

My Vista is drinking coolant, quite literally. I have filled 1.5L coolant in last 1 month and almost 1/2 of it seems to have gone.

Checks done by me: I am 100% sure that there's no leakage since I have parked the car for 48 hours on pieces of paper and they have been bone dry all times.
There are no traces of coolant leakage seen in the engine bay also.

My worry: where is all this coolant disappearing? The car is not running hot but then I just cant be adding coolant like this. I am scheduled to travel out of town on forthcoming weekend with family. I don't ant any issues to crop up whilst I am travelling.

My Queries:
1. What going wrong with the car?
2. Would it be safe to travel with the car in this condition after topping up the coolant?

Need your quick advice.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 14:06   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
My Vista is drinking coolant, quite literally. I have filled 1.5L coolant in last 1 month and almost 1/2 of it seems to have gone.

Checks done by me: I am 100% sure that there's no leakage since I have parked the car for 48 hours on pieces of paper and they have been bone dry all times. There are no traces of coolant leakage seen in the engine bay also.
It is not normal & can be dangerous if you do not ascertain the cause.

- Is this a one time occurrence ? i.e. you filled up a month ago & checked now. In this case, I would suggest a) fill coolant, b) run the engine for a while. c) let it cool a little and then recheck, refill as necessary.
- Try checking for leakage again - this time, leave the coolant container cap open.
- How is the smoke ? as usual ? do you sense a difference ?

If urgent, get the head gasket checked. That should clear the most damaging of causes. (leakage of coolant into engine/mixing with engine oil)

I am married to my Indica(Gen1.1) for a decade now. & I ensure problems dis-appear as fast as they appear ! Good luck to you !

Last edited by DieselDon : 6th August 2012 at 14:08.
DieselDon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 22:30   #1032
BHPian

Friends I have a Vista TDI March 2009 model run only 16k kms most of which are on Highways.
Touchwood till now I have not had any problems except the front power window jamming whose motor was replaced promptly in warranty.
Recently I had been on a 2600+ kms trip Pune-Ooty-Pune and I noticed one problem that when my engine is under load (or very slightly lugging) the Gearbox lever emanates a vibrating sound Krrr. I can even fill the vibrations on the Gear lever as if the synchroniser collar inside is rubbing against the shifting forks continuously. Although I would like to mention that the gearbox is a cable shift gearbox for TDI so the vibrations should not have cropped till the gear lever.
These vibrations emanate in condition when the engine is under load for eg. The car is in 5th gear on highway and the car has to be accelerated from 75kmph to say 100kmph. This noise is not only in 5th gear but also in 4th gear and 3rd gear too when the engine is under slight load. In 1st and 2nd gear the sound does not come I suppose the engine is not under load because of the high engine rpms. The vibration krr sound is not very audible in city conditions or when the windows are open but can be felt when the windows are rolled up and on highways but its very irritating as it lasts for long.
If i pull the gear lever in 5th gear slightly backward the sound stops emanating but then the sound from vibrating dashboard is there so I had to stop it by keeping my hand on it. So these noise are either from Vibrating Dashboard or the Gear lever.
Please help.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 08:27   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Folks one question for Vista owners and not necessarily an issue.

I lost one of the wheel caps of my Vista. I want to replace it. Any idea how much does one wheel cap cost? I believe i would have to visit the service centre for the replacement? Any other possible place from where it could be sourced?
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 08:49   #1034
BHPian

You can get it from any TASC if you need the TATA branded wheelcaps. They are a set of four.

There are accessory shops which sell wheelcaps as well, but they may not sport the TATA logo. However, you will find a wide variety of choices at accessory shops.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 09:13   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Folks one question for Vista owners and not necessarily an issue.

I lost one of the wheel caps of my Vista. I want to replace it. Any idea how much does one wheel cap cost? I believe i would have to visit the service centre for the replacement? Any other possible place from where it could be sourced?
Atleast in Mumbai, you can buy a single wheel cap from the TASC. For an Indigos OEM hubcap, they charge Rs500 per unit. In the aftermarket, you will find a set of 4 for about Rs500-600.
aalokg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote