Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th September 2012, 09:35   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Folks one question for Vista owners and not necessarily an issue.

I lost one of the wheel caps of my Vista. I want to replace it. Any idea how much does one wheel cap cost? I believe i would have to visit the service centre for the replacement? Any other possible place from where it could be sourced?
Amit,

Please visit the Bridgestone Select shop just before Chandani Chowk, opposite CCD. They have a collection of wheel caps and IIRC, set of 4 costs around 800 or something. Unless, you MUST have the original TATA caps, you can go to this shop.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 10:34   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
Atleast in Mumbai, you can buy a single wheel cap from the TASC. For an Indigos OEM hubcap, they charge Rs500 per unit. In the aftermarket, you will find a set of 4 for about Rs500-600.
I knew that buying it from TASC was going to be costly but Rs.500 per unit is daylight robbery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Amit,

Please visit the Bridgestone Select shop just before Chandani Chowk, opposite CCD. They have a collection of wheel caps and IIRC, set of 4 costs around 800 or something. Unless, you MUST have the original TATA caps, you can go to this shop.
Thanks Ajay. Would be going there this weekend. I also need to do wheel balancing and alignment. I guess they do that as well. Am i right?
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 10:37   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ajay. Would be going there this weekend. I also need to do wheel balancing and alignment. I guess they do that as well. Am i right?
Yes Amit. They charge something around ~400 for balancing and alignment. If you are planning to do a wheel rotation too, it might cost a little more.

I got my alloys from the same shop and I get the alignment and balancing done from them every 5k kms. I have had good experience with them so far.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 11:05   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
I knew that buying it from TASC was going to be costly but Rs.500 per unit is daylight robbery.

Rs500 per unit is daylight robbery indeed. You would expect that @500/unit, the quality would be top notch. Its not, its made out of a very cheap plastic. I loose one every 6 months or so. Its best that you stick to non-OEM caps. The ones we got with our Indigo 9 years ago were the best. I still have one of them, and its far far better in quality than the ones you get these days.
aalokg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 12:03   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Yes Amit. They charge something around ~400 for balancing and alignment. If you are planning to do a wheel rotation too, it might cost a little more.
Quote:
Rs500 per unit is daylight robbery indeed. You would expect that @500/unit, the quality would be top notch. Its not, its made out of a very cheap plastic. I loose one every 6 months or so. Its best that you stick to non-OEM caps. The ones we got with our Indigo 9 years ago were the best. I still have one of them, and its far far better in quality than the ones you get these days.
Update: Visited Shree Tyres near Chandni chowk for the Balancing/Alignment/Wheel Cap replacement. But unfortunately they have stopped stocking the wheel caps.

So got the replacment from a nearby accessories shop. A set of 4 wheel caps from Aero for Rs.850/- Thanks guys for the inputs.

Last edited by amitwlele : 17th September 2012 at 12:05.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 12:53   #1041
Senior - BHPian

My 2011 vista Quagrajet (Run 25,000) is having a strange noise from the engine room and also the inside fenders have got rust. Any inputs ?
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 15:01   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
I lost one of the wheel caps of my Vista. I want to replace it. Any idea how much does one wheel cap cost? I believe i would have to visit the service centre for the replacement? Any other possible place from where it could be sourced?

My car lost one of the wheel caps last Sunday. I made a trip to Milan Subway (Santacruz West, Mumbai) and managed to find an almost identical one. Cheapest option around I would say.
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 21:02   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Friends I have a Vista TDI March 2009 model run only 16k kms most of which are on Highways.
Touchwood till now I have not had any problems except the front power
These vibrations emanate in condition when the engine is under load for eg. The car is in 5th gear on highway and the car has to be accelerated from 75kmph to say 100kmph. This noise is not only in 5th gear but also in 4th gear and 3rd gear too when the engine is under slight load. In 1st and 2nd gear the sound does not come So these noise are either from Vibrating Dashboard or the Gear lever.
Please help.
I too had a similar issue with my 2009 Vista QJD. The issue was finally resolved after multiple follow up's with the service center. The issue was found to be a loose pipe connecting the turbo which was vibrating and coming in contact with the body in low speeds. The SA did mention that it is a very common issue with most Vista cars and there is no permanent fix to this issue.

The way they resolved my issue was by placing a thick cardboard piece between the turbo pipe and the body to avoid contact.. This surprisingly worked and that noise hasn't resurfaced since. I make it a point to check the pipe once in a while and insert sufficient padding between the turbo pipe if the old one is worn out..Not sure if this is a common issue with both TDi and QJD versions..Try this and see if it works..
s@tan2s@int is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 22:29   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Atleast in Mumbai, you can buy a single wheel cap from the TASC. For an Indigos OEM hubcap, they charge Rs500 per unit. In the aftermarket, you will find a set of 4 for about Rs500-600.
Quote:
Quote:
While I cannot comment on the indigo wheelcaps, the OE vista wheelcaps are 375/- cost me that much a year ago. I had been using a set of non OEM wheelcaps - they had the tata logo as well, but the silver paint on them started peeling off within a year or so. the paint on the OE wheelcaps is still intact, and this is what the guy at the spares shop also said. I have not had any issues with the wheelcaps falling off - both OE and non OE. I think the premium is worth it
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 16:36   #1045
BHPian

I lost one of the Wheel caps due to a Drunk Auto Driver banging right on the wheel. Can someone suggest where can I get one wheel cap like the OEM ones in Chennai?
jasonbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 19:30   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Ask at auto spares shops, preferably the ones which claim to specialize in tata cars! I'd seen some at tambaram, but then again, I don't know the city that much!
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 10:43   #1047
BHPian

Lower Ball Joint replacement:

My Vista QJD underwent her 40k service last Saturday. On the lift the A.S.S tech checked the front tyres for wobble by shaking them sideways and there was some play. The verdict was that the LBJs were worn out. He removed both of them and sure enough there was some play in them. The new ones were absolutely stiff and so he recommended changing them. I am alright with that but when I asked him how long do they really last, he replied that there was no straight answer to that. It all depends on the road surface and driving conditions. A good 70% of my car's running was on good roads, heck perfect roads (COK-TCR highways) and the rest on hmmm, okayish roads. Maybe I would say not more than 2% of moonish surfaces.

Then, is 40K all a Tata OEM LBJ will last? What I read up on the web is they should potentially outlive the car or atleast 100,000 miles. The EW cover on the LBJ is only till 35k kms. Very convenient!!
KL54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 11:56   #1048
BHPian

I have attached some pics of a dent in my Vista.
Would really appreciate if someone can guide me in wrt the costs i will have to incur on this. I am open to get it done at TASC or outside.

The main affected area is the C Pillar. There are minor scratches on the rear fender and the door. The door handle could also do with a touchup.

I had been to the TASC today (galaxy motors) but it was closed for renovation

Note: I am not looking at getting this done through insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Indica Vista - list of Known problems-img00381201210081123.jpg  

Indica Vista - list of Known problems-img00382201210081124.jpg  

Indica Vista - list of Known problems-img00383201210081124.jpg  

Indica Vista - list of Known problems-img00384201210081124.jpg  

@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 12:24   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL54 View Post
Lower Ball Joint replacement:

Then, is 40K all a Tata OEM LBJ will last? What I read up on the web is they should potentially outlive the car or atleast 100,000 miles. The EW cover on the LBJ is only till 35k kms. Very convenient!!
My first gen indica LBJ's lasted only so much, but with worse roads. I think others on tbhp have also had similar experiences. With tata components, don't expect much life/quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
I have attached some pics of a dent in my Vista.
Would really appreciate if someone can guide me in wrt the costs i will have to incur on this. I am open to get it done at TASC or outside.

Note: I am not looking at getting this done through insurance.
Since this is just one panel, it would cost around 2~3k for my indica in tvm, but since yours is metallic paint, and with being in a metro, it should go up. The quality of paint in TASC's is generally good, but workmanship may be suspect - you might get unexpected oversprays, drips etc. Unless you know a good body shop, stick to the TASC.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 12:53   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Would really appreciate if someone can guide me in wrt the costs i will have to incur on this. I am open to get it done at TASC or outside. Note: I am not looking at getting this done through insurance.

I had a similar dent gifted to me by a water tanker. Going through a TASC would have been expensive what with their 15% or so tax and labor costs for their "highly skilled" personnel.

Got it done from the outside for less than Rs 1500 but the quality of work done, though acceptable, was not upto par with what you get from a proper TASC with a paint shop et al. (I usually go to the Concorde Body shop at Cochin)

You can take this as a starting point for your cost estimate.
Attached Thumbnails
Indica Vista - list of Known problems-photo0297.jpg  

KL54 is offline   Reply With Quote