Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th November 2012, 08:11   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anz1979 View Post
@foby
Kulathunkal Motors,Inchakkal, Trivandrum.

They are the dealers too. Till date all works were done by them.
I had many niggles with Kulathunkal, then as advised by one of the fellow teambhpian I tried Focous motors near to airport road.

Thankfully it worked for me. Focous people were able to solve many issues.

I suggest change TASS once in a while so that we will get a second opinion.
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 14:46   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
I had many niggles with Kulathunkal, then as advised by one of the fellow teambhpian I tried Focous motors near to airport road.

Thankfully it worked for me. Focous people were able to solve many issues.

I suggest change TASS once in a while so that we will get a second opinion.
Once, back in 2009, I visited Focus motors after their continuous calls to visit their facility for service and works. I went there with a small issue with the clutch. But they were not able to solve that as well as their reply to this issue was "This is the maximum because this is TATA". The service advisor who took the car for road test was actually ripping it to its maximum, revving it to 4k RPM in 2nd gear. He demanded to leave the car with them for 3 days in order to find the problem and rectify. This happened with me as a passenger on board. I was worried by this style and immediately left the Focus with my car giving him a reply that will be back tomorrow as I have an appointment today.

Later I happened to hear from an indica cab owner that, Focus was the first TATA car dealers in Trivandrum. But their dealership was cancelled by TATA due to their low quality service.

Now I think to show this to a neighbourhood workshop near to my office. I was afraid that if the mentioned los op power and roughness was a problem with ECU, then they wonít be able to solve it. What I plan is to ask the local garage to clean that area and inspect for cracks in the pipe and tight that steel belt like tightener there.

If the problem persists then visit any TASS, but we all know the visit to these TASS are a pain as it costs our pretty time.
Anz1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 15:56   #1083
Senior - BHPian

try this place - have had good experiences with them so far
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...rivandrum.html (Independent Tata Service center - Highway Garage (Trivandrum))
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 15:37   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Guys
Today I bought my first diesel car. A pre-owned 2009 Vista -Quadrajet run about 23XXX kms. Would appreciate some help from owners on the below. I will most likely keep coming back for more information - Thanks

1) The owner did the last service at 17700 kms in Jan 2012. Should I now change any oils/diesel filter ?

2) Any other fluids that should be checked/replaced ?

3) In general, should modern diesel cars ( and I presume the Vista Quadra jet is a modern diesel ! ) , should the car be idled for some time first thing and last thing in a day ?
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 16:25   #1085
BHPian

I have shown my car to the local mech near my office. After a spin his answer nothing to worry other than clutch. Have to replace the complete clutch assembly. Clutch worn out.

RPM increases smoothly but the car is not attaining speed. That is due to the worn out clutch.
He quoted 5k+ for assembly. In the evening I called a local TATA spare store and enquired the price they said Rs5990.

Does any other good quality clutch assembly available for Quadrajets?
Anz1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 21:07   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Guys adding to my above query, also notice that the clutch is quite hard ( maybe because I have only driven petrol cars before ). Any pointers on how to easen up the clutch a bit ?
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:53   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
Today I bought my first diesel car. A pre-owned 2009 Vista -Quadrajet run about 23XXX kms. Would appreciate some help from owners on the below. I will most likely keep coming back for more information - Thanks
Congrats Narayan! Is it 23XXX KMs or 28XXX KMs as you mentioned in earlier? How about the extended warranty status?

Quote:
1) The owner did the last service at 17700 kms in Jan 2012. Should I now change any oils/diesel filter ?
If it is 28XXX KMs, service is due since as your Vista has done more than 10000 KMs since last service. If it is 23XXX KMs then the service is due in Jan 2013. TATA Motors says, change engine oil and oil filter at 10,000 km or 12 Months whichever is earlier. So in any case service due falls shortly.
Diesel filter needs to be changed every 20000 KMs. Just check the service history for earlier change and do it accordingly. If a change is required, instruct ASC guys to change the filter alone without the sensor.

Quote:
2) Any other fluids that should be checked/replaced ?
ASC guys will routinely check and top-up all the fluids (brake, power steering, coolant) during service.

Quote:
3) In general, should modern diesel cars ( and I presume the Vista Quadra jet is a modern diesel ! ) , should the car be idled for some time first thing and last thing in a day ?
Itís better to idle for sometime after starting and before stopping the engine.

Quote:
..also notice that the clutch is quite hard ( maybe because I have only driven petrol cars before ). Any pointers on how to easen up the clutch a bit ?
Vista's clutch is bit harder when compared to petrol cars.
Arun.K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 18:25   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Arun. the correct mileage is 23XXX. Hence will change the oils around Jan. Will also check for the filter part.

Is the Vista's clutch hardness similar to, say, a Swift/Figo etc ? I vaguely remember driving a Fiesta D 3 yrs back and its clutch was quite ok. anyway, i have noticed a small bulge in my left thigh muscles - which i could not achieve even by doing squats for 6 months at the gym !

what is the approx FE that can be expected in the highways ? 20+ ?
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:10   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
what is the approx FE that can be expected in the highways ? 20+ ?
Depends on your driving style. If you consciously upshift at 1500 RPM and maintain a speed of 90 km/hr, your Vista's FE would range around 19-20 on the highway.

If you go beyond 100, then you would get something in the range of 17-18.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 10:14   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Guys
any tricks to reduce the hardness of the clutch ? will overhauling the clutch help ?
Old 4th December 2012, 17:18   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Guys
any tricks to reduce the hardness of the clutch ? will overhauling the clutch help ?
Try and get clutch bleeding done, makes the clutch soft to some extent. I have done that some time back and the softness is back.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 20:17   #1092
BHPian

Anyone changed their Vista's stock shocks to aftermarket ones? if so, what make and the performance afterwards. A friend's car is rolling too much.
MustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 22:50   #1093

Hi,
I have a Vista 2010 and intend taking a drive from Coimbatore to Lonavla with the family, totally four adults. Since the luggage space is inadequate for four bags, do I have any alternative other than buying a luggage carrier?. The carrier cost about Rs 3500/- and would be rarely used. Any suggestions ,please?
Thanks.
chaman136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 19:59   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Dear Vista owners
I recall reading in one of the threads that the initial lot of Vistas came with a "weak a/c " and there is an ECU fix for this ? Is that correct ? Because my 2009 Dec Vista multi jet does have a weak a/c and when i checked with TASS, they mentioned there is no ECU fix and they need to check the gas pressure and if thats alright check for other issues. Could you guys confirm whether there is any ECU fix for this ?any other thoughts ?
Old 8th January 2013, 10:17   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Did 30,000 service at focuz Trivandrum.

Oil change,air filter change, top up for other oils and battery.

other periodic checks done.

cost :- 3940 INR

The service advisor tod that for QJD s the tyre wear is more the max life is 40,000 kms is that correct ?

Fellow QJD (old/refresh/new) owners whats your tyre milage ?
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote