Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th June 2013, 14:06   #1156
BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

I've got a 2009 QJD vista. It has done close to 60k kms. I am not at all satisfied with the suspension of it. It just bounces too much and is too soft. Would it be possible to fit the suspension struts of the d90 on it??? will it improve the overall handling???
petroguzzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 16:58   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Folks need some help in finding the root cause.

Details:
Day before yesterday I started from my residence in the morning without any issues and the car cranked up immediately. My office is around 24 Kms. After running the car for about 20 Kms there was a long traffic jam with nothing moving. So i turned off the ignition. After 5 minutes the car in front of me moved a bit so i tried starting my car. But car would not start. After a couple of tries noticed that the lights on the dashboard were dim and the power windows were also operating very very slowly. Finally the battery drained out and all the electricals stopped working. Luckily i was on the side lane and got the car pushed away from the road with the help of some good samaritans.

Called the helpline number and the mechanic came within half an hour to jump start the car. It was a one minute job and i proceeded with my journey. The battery is 5 year old and i have done 76K Kms. No major battery draining components present in the car other than normal music system and auto cop.

My questions:
- Later in the evening again i did not face problem in starting the car eventhough it was parked for 6-7 hours. So what caused it to suddenly break down in the morning when i had shut it only for 5 mins in the traffic jam after driving it for half an hour.
- Today morning as well no issues in starting the car.

As a precaution i got the battery checked today morning and there was no issue with the voltage even while the ignition was off and then turned on.
Can someone advise what else needs to be checked? I don't want to simply change the battery because of this one incident only because it is 5 years old.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 08:09   #1158
Senior - BHPian

I just changed my tires from stock bridgestones to Appolo accelere 185/65/R14

Cost : 4050 INR(per tyre)

Package :- free balancing , new Free necks and discounted aligment rates

The wheel alignment technitian asked me to check the RHS camber nut on shock's strut.

I usuallally had a slight left pulling that is because of the camber nut issue on the RHS.

Today evening I will be taking it to TASS
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 14:11   #1159

Hi Amit,
First, you are lucky to have a battery working for 5 years. I changed my battery in 30 months (stock)..one fine morning, the car didn't start at all.. Changed the batteries.

Regarding the cause for the problem you had faced, have you used music or blower fan or even frequently opening power windows or anything which used battery while your engine is off..

AFAIK, cranking requires very high amps from the battery and every time you crank, an amount of battery's power is utilized and negating further chances to start the car..That's why repeated cranking in quick intervals is not recommended.

Also, check your battery as it is a warning sign of a weak battery and the issue you report may reoccur.

Cheers
Balaji

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

Details:
Day before yesterday I started from my residence in the morning without any issues and the car cranked up immediately. My office is around 24 Kms. After running the car for about 20 Kms there was a long traffic jam with nothing moving. So i turned off the ignition. After 5 minutes the car in front of me moved a bit so i tried starting my car. But car would not start. After a couple of tries noticed that the lights on the dashboard were dim and the power windows were also operating very very slowly. Finally the battery drained out and all the electricals stopped working. Luckily i was on the side lane and got the car pushed away from the road with the help of some good samaritans.

Called the helpline number and the mechanic came within half an hour to jump start the car. It was a one minute job and i proceeded with my journey. The battery is 5 year old and i have done 76K Kms. No major battery draining components present in the car other than normal music system and auto cop.

My questions:
- Later in the evening again i did not face problem in starting the car eventhough it was parked for 6-7 hours. So what caused it to suddenly break down in the morning when i had shut it only for 5 mins in the traffic jam after driving it for half an hour.

As a precaution i got the battery checked today morning and there was no issue with the voltage even while the ignition was off and then turned on.
Can someone advise what else needs to be checked? I don't want to simply change the battery because of this one incident only because it is 5 years old.
asbalaji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 14:39   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbalaji View Post
Regarding the cause for the problem you had faced, have you used music or blower fan or even frequently opening power windows or anything which used battery while your engine is off..

AFAIK, cranking requires very high amps from the battery and every time you crank, an amount of battery's power is utilized and negating further chances to start the car..That's why repeated cranking in quick intervals is not recommended.
@Balaji - In the morning when i started the car there was no issues. Only when i turned the ignition off for 5 mins in the traffic jam the issue occured. I had driven a good 20 Kms till that time. While the car was stopped for 5 mins only the music system was on. Did not use any of the other components like Power Windows, Headlights etc.

The first crank itself was not successful. After that i did try a couple of times but by then the battery had completely drained. Then it was not possible to even operate the power windows or hazard light.

But now since the last 3 days there has been no problem even during the cold morning start. Now i am not turning off the engine while stuck in traffic to avoid the repeat of the situation.

I did check the battery for voltage but it was perfectly fine. The battery guy told me that there does not seem to be any issue with the battery. Please use the car and if the problem happens again we will remove the battery and do a thorough check.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:08   #1161
BHPian

My Vista QJD has started sounding like a tractor now. The noise is not so horrible in city traffic but this weekend I was driving close to Vapi (Gujarat) around mid night and the noise was almost unbearable thanks to almost no other vehicle on the road and the pin drop silence in the interior roads. The engine seemed to be growling like a hyena and even my co-travelers started complaining about it.
Also the vibrations at idle seemed to have increased. Earlier people sitting in the car could not guess whether it was a Petrol or Diesel but now the vibrations make it amply clear that its a diesel.

Some other details:
Vista QJD - November 20008 model - 57K km - serviced last at 55K km at TASS, where they changed the Oil, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter.

Have any of you faced this with your Vista QJD's? If so what is the remedy for this. I am tired of increasing the volume of my speakers to drown the sound off.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 13:22   #1162
BHPian

Many reviews suggest that the Vista has acceptable noise insulation, but from the beginning i found it to be like a truck. Mine has run about 60k kms and sounds exactly like a truck. I am considering damping to reduce the NVH.
petroguzzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 13:49   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
My Vista QJD has started sounding like a tractor now. The noise is not so horrible in city traffic but this weekend I was driving close to Vapi (Gujarat) around mid night and the noise was almost unbearable thanks to almost no other vehicle on the road and the pin drop silence in the interior roads. The engine seemed to be growling like a hyena and even my co-travelers started complaining about it.
Also the vibrations at idle seemed to have increased. Earlier people sitting in the car could not guess whether it was a Petrol or Diesel but now the vibrations make it amply clear that its a diesel.

Some other details:
Vista QJD - November 20008 model - 57K km - serviced last at 55K km at TASS, where they changed the Oil, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter.

Have any of you faced this with your Vista QJD's? If so what is the remedy for this. I am tired of increasing the volume of my speakers to drown the sound off.
I would suggest you get this checked because you never know what might have come off// removed or not done during the servicing.
The QJD engine is a silent performer and should not sound the way you have mentioned.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013, 15:25   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Also the vibrations at idle seemed to have increased.
Hi Maverick1977, have you checked the air filter assembly for vibrations. The press and lock type rubber bushes tend to loosen up over a period of time. This problem crops up often in our Vistas.
Arun.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 02:58   #1165
BHPian

I have a VISTA TDI March 2009 model. It has only covered 18k kms and till now had been niggle free except some irritating vibration from the Gear lever and random clashing while engaging 1st gear. I had shown to TATA ASS and they told me I am engaging 1st gear in higher speed and not disengaging the clutch fully. As the problem was not severe I also believed them and just as the extended warranty got over gearbox problems have resurfaced.
1st gear was getting harder day by day to engage and its engaging speeds started coming down from 15kmph (initially) to 10kmph and now its down to 0.5 kmph or just before standstill.

Only 1st gear has a problem, rest other gears shift smoothly without any issue whatsover. 1st gear also engages without any problem if the vehicle is at standstill but not at any other speed. Don't you think 1st gear not engaging except standstill can be a problem while driving in ghats? Do you recommend me to go for a gearbox overhaul or not for this issue? How much would it cost?

I fully doubt the 1st-2nd gear double-cone synchro and the synchro centralization is to blame. If I am lucky it can be just a problem with the Shifter cables but then the shifting has more to do with vehicle speed and only one gear.

Anyone of you have faced this problem. Your inputs please.
amit_purohit20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 09:31   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I have a VISTA TDI March 2009 model. It has only covered 18k kms and till now had been niggle free except some irritating vibration from the Gear lever and random clashing while engaging 1st gear. I had shown to TATA ASS and they told me I am engaging 1st gear in higher speed and not disengaging the clutch fully. As the problem was not severe I also believed them and just as the extended warranty got over gearbox problems have resurfaced.
1st gear was getting harder day by day to engage and its engaging speeds started coming down from 15kmph (initially) to 10kmph and now its down to 0.5 kmph or just before standstill.

Only 1st gear has a problem, rest other gears shift smoothly without any issue whatsover. 1st gear also engages without any problem if the vehicle is at standstill but not at any other speed. Don't you think 1st gear not engaging except standstill can be a problem while driving in ghats? Do you recommend me to go for a gearbox overhaul or not for this issue? How much would it cost?

I fully doubt the 1st-2nd gear double-cone synchro and the synchro centralization is to blame. If I am lucky it can be just a problem with the Shifter cables but then the shifting has more to do with vehicle speed and only one gear.

Anyone of you have faced this problem. Your inputs please.
As per my experience it seems to be the clutch.
I faced similar problem and after changing the clutch all became fine.
Also can you tell if there are vibrations (like repeated vibration in forward and backward direction at the point where the clutch engages which seems to smooth out but can be felt nonetheless if the revs are high also)when the clutch is engaged in first gear.
norhog is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 00:56   #1167
BHPian

No there are no problems with clutch like slippage or judder. If problem was with clutch then all gears should be hard right?
What was the problem you were facing? How much did it cost to overhaul the clutch and how many kms your vehicle had covered?
amit_purohit20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 07:32   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

Details:

My questions:

I had the same issue some time back. Ask tass to check the alternateor. For me the carbon bush in the alternator was the culprit, since i had an extented warranty I got the bush changed by TASS.

After checking the alternator do check the battery.
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 08:11   #1169
BHPian

Does anyone have an idea if a sump guard can be fixed to a Vista's underbelly?
Any idea of the costs and how long it takes? Better to do it at a TASC or a local mechanic should be fine?
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 16:30   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
I had the same issue some time back. Ask tass to check the alternateor. For me the carbon bush in the alternator was the culprit, since i had an extented warranty I got the bush changed by TASS.

After checking the alternator do check the battery.
Thanks Foby.

I finally changed the battery a couple of weeks back. Thought that would be the best thing considering that anyway it was 4.5 years old. Now not facing that issue anymore.

Anyway would still get the alternator checked in the next service.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote