Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 13:42   #106
BHPian
 
Maverick1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 832
Thanked: 249 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
No such problem with my Quadrajet and hence no idea what may be causing it in your case. BTW, recently the lady at my regular pump filled my tank with petrol and had to have it towed to the serivce centre for draining and cleaning. Cost me Rs.750/-.
I have always been scraed of some 1 filling my QJD with Petrol. I have invariably been guided towards the Petrol dispensing machine & the reason being gievn for that is, believe it or not, engine not sounding like a diesel at all.
Janitha - I am quite surprised that you coughed out 750 when it was not your fault. Its every attendants duty to ask what the customer wants to fill-in? You should have insisted that they push the car on the side, call a mechanic & get the whole thing drained. You should have also told the fuel station to pay for the likely damage to your engine in way of free fuel. This is some thing that I was a witness to a few months back. This goof-up had happened in the case of a Lancer.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 14:05   #107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 368
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I have always been scraed of some 1 filling my QJD with Petrol. I have invariably been guided towards the Petrol dispensing machine & the reason being gievn for that is, believe it or not, engine not sounding like a diesel at all.
Janitha - I am quite surprised that you coughed out 750 when it was not your fault. Its every attendants duty to ask what the customer wants to fill-in? You should have insisted that they push the car on the side, call a mechanic & get the whole thing drained. You should have also told the fuel station to pay for the likely damage to your engine in way of free fuel. This is some thing that I was a witness to a few months back. This goof-up had happened in the case of a Lancer.
The fuel pump (govt owned) replaced the 30 litres I already had in the car. When they told me the cost will be deducted from her salary I decided not to ask them to pay the Rs.750/- bill. Btw, the same thing had happened earlier to a close relative of mine with his Swift VDI filled with petrol. And he is a motor vehicle inspector.

Last edited by janitha : 6th April 2009 at 14:10.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 14:13   #108
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,837
Thanked: 1,315 Times
Default

i had the same experience earlier, and decided not to ask for the cost of the fuel or for a replacement. but havent happened since, since I've started system D , since i have to go over to pour the system D from the bottle, and I'll be there watching , so the issue doesnt happen
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 14:39   #109
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 368
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i had the same experience earlier, and decided not to ask for the cost of the fuel or for a replacement. but havent happened since, since I've started system D , since i have to go over to pour the system D from the bottle, and I'll be there watching , so the issue doesnt happen
Time overdue for me to start using System D.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 14:50   #110
BHPian
 
Maverick1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 832
Thanked: 249 Times
Default

I am sure it will not be too much of an effort to step out from one's car & stand near the fuel dispensing machine. I have been doing this for ages. I used to see my mother do the same when I was in school, so I guess I am also habituated in doing the same. This will also ensure that the attendant sets the machine to 0 before he starts filling-in the fuel. This habit also allows me to strect myself a bit.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 20:30   #111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 368
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I am sure it will not be too much of an effort to step out from one's car & stand near the fuel dispensing machine. I have been doing this for ages. I used to see my mother do the same when I was in school, so I guess I am also habituated in doing the same. This will also ensure that the attendant sets the machine to 0 before he starts filling-in the fuel. This habit also allows me to strect myself a bit.
I have been religiously doing like that only for more than two decades. Till recently, before getting the Vista I used to go and open the lid myself and watch, in my Uno. On that day when I pulled the fuel lid open knob, she put the fuel dispenser into it and went on to serve an auto. By the time I reached there, seven litres had gone in. BTW, there are four hoses in the same unit, two diesel and two petrol!
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 10:17   #112
BHPian
 
revhappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 307
Thanked: Once
Default

I think it is worth putting a big sticker "DIESEL" on the fuel lid. Although it is inside it sometimes goes unnoticed
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 11:13   #113
BHPian
 
Maverick1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 832
Thanked: 249 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
I think it is worth putting a big sticker "DIESEL" on the fuel lid. Although it is inside it sometimes goes unnoticed
Trust me, even if you put a sticker "DIESEL" on the fuel lid, the attendant will still ask you the fuel type. Do you feel that they bother to read the label? The chances become almost nil when U R filling-in at peak hours.
I had to fill-up yesterday & since there were no cars behind me, I started talking to the attendant. I asked him how he distinguished if the car had come for filling Petrol or Diesel. He replied that they always make it a point to ask the owners. When asked if there were any goof ups, he promptly replied that those were caused when people were too snooty to roll down their windows or step out of their car. Next what I heard took me by real surprise. Some owners refuse to turn off their engines even while re-fuelling. Reason is that they donít want to turn off the AC. This is especially true in chauffeur driven cars. I have not seen anything like this, but would be glad if any 1 has experienced the same thing.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 15:12   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,226
Thanked: 578 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Time overdue for me to start using System D.
In what ways system D helps?
I had used it once but found not much change in FE atleast.

I feel many people are too lazy to get out of the car and check which fuel attendant is putting in the car. Some dont even bother to check out the reading!
Also this can be avoided if we park the car right in front of the pump mentioned as DIESEL.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 17:42   #115
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 368
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
In what ways system D helps?

I had written it jokingly, see the smiley. In some other thread on additives, after reading the posts I had mentioned that like a placebo, it appears to be a psychological performance booster.

I feel many people are too lazy to get out of the car and check which fuel attendant is putting in the car. Some dont even bother to check out the reading!

I always do as mentioned in detail earlier.

Also this can be avoided if we park the car right in front of the pump mentioned as DIESEL

As mentioned by me earlier, the same one had four outlet hoses, two each for petrol and diesel.


.
..............................
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 11:46   #116
BHPian
 
revhappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 307
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Hi Guys,

I have an issue with my Vista.
Whenever I go to the fuel station and ask them to do a tank full, the sensor cuts off when the tank is full but the fuel dispensing gun jags back with force which causes some fuel to spill out of the tank.

This happens everytime and I have tried at different bunks, same result just that the amount of fuel that spills out varies. It doesn't seem to be a major issue yet I hate fuel spilling out of the tank like that.

My car is due for second service and planning to get this fixed. Could you guys please advise as to what part might be causing the issue and whether it could be replaced under warranty?

Cheers,
Nitin
Has anyone encountered the issue above?Please help.
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 16:23   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Has anyone encountered the issue above?Please help.
The only suggestion would be to check if the breather tube is choked / blocked.

I hope I have understood your problem!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 17:56   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
deepclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Muvattupuzha
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

putting the sticker surely helps.if possible write in 2-3 languages as well .but I felt many diesel cars comes with "only diesel" something with the inside cap atleast ?
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 18:11   #119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 368
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
putting the sticker surely helps.if possible write in 2-3 languages as well .but I felt many diesel cars comes with "only diesel" something with the inside cap atleast ?
It is there. But I will take even more care to ensure that I am there before they start filling.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 10:08   #120
BHPian
 
Maverick1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 832
Thanked: 249 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
putting the sticker surely helps.if possible write in 2-3 languages as well .but I felt many diesel cars comes with "only diesel" something with the inside cap atleast ?
The other solution to this problem is to fill-in at non peak hours like afternoon or late evenings. During these times, the bunker attendants are not under pressure to get things done fast, so that cars dont drive away.
There's also quite a high probability that the attendant might not be able to read Diesel or Petrol written in English.
Putting the sticker in multiple languages would be essential if U R crossing states every month.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems Ice Technical Stuff 304 23rd October 2016 13:31
Help Required Indica Vista Safire or Indica Vista TDI Logical Hatchbacks 63 30th October 2011 08:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:53.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks