Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2013, 13:22   #1201
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: kolkata
Posts: 88
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridsahmed View Post
After 4 years & covering 41K+ kms, recently observed that the tailgate of my car does not hold up when opened. The gas springs/ gas balancers have lost their strenght and the tailgate just falls down.

Showed to TASC, since out of extended warranty too, they say its common and i need to replace it. Costs approx 1100 for a set.

Anyone else facing this ?
Having similar problem. My vista is 1 yr 11 month old and has done 50110 kms. Is the tail gate balancer not covered under warranty? Please answer
sallubhai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 14:54   #1202
BHPian
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 273
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

(70 or higher!), but the dealers says that if I migrate to a 70 profile, then they will not fit. As of now i am on 175/65/14[/quote]

I upgraded to 185/65 size. A 70 profile will fit but higher the profile higher the car which might impact its high speed stability. So think before you upgrade.
Any particular reason why you want a higher profile rating?
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 16:34   #1203
BHPian
 
faridsahmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 150
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post
Having similar problem. My vista is 1 yr 11 month old and has done 50110 kms. Is the tail gate balancer not covered under warranty? Please answer
As far as i know it is covered in warranty and you can get it replaced.
faridsahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 16:58   #1204
BHPian
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 273
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post
Having similar problem. My vista is 1 yr 11 month old and has done 50110 kms. Is the tail gate balancer not covered under warranty? Please answer

I dont think it is covered. If you check the warranty terms and conditions. I got mine replaced after 3 years. If you are ok with it...let it be the way it is.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 18:13   #1205
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 7 Times
Unhappy Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Experts, Gurus & Vista QJD Owners, please help me for the below 2 issues,
Details: Vista VX QJD manufactured in June2012,
KM run: 23000, Driven only by me.

1. Took my car to hometown (~450 Kms from Chennai) for Diwali. Had 5 passengers including me. Started in the evening after filling tank full Diesel, crawling in traffic using gears 1 to 4. With AC on, After crossing some 20 KMs, When I came to the 4 lane road, I engaged 5th gear at 1500rpm and accelerated as the road was clear, all of a sudden, when the rpm was nearing ~1.8K, I felt very slight repeated jerks (similar to how the engine will behave in a HH splendor+ once the petrol has reached reserve). I mean, The turbo kick was not linear. After few seconds, the needle easily climbed to 2K rpm with a slight boost in acceleration (could be felt). I could replicate this several times for the next 100+ kms, whenever I shifted every time from 4th to 5th. This has never happened in all the 23K kms I have driven it in the past 14 months. One weird thing was, I could NOT replicate it after 200Kms until the end of the journey.

On my way back from home town, I felt the same, for the first 100 kms. Later it did not show up. Could any one of you let me know if you have faced this issue before?
I really wonder, how this can happen, as I normally fill in the same good pump. I am really scared, if there is some issue with the fuel pump or the injectors

2. Normally, I switch on the thermostat with 75% cooling (blue side) with blower speed set at 1 and direction of flow towards the passengers (left most lowest setting). Recirculation mode will be always on. Whenever I approach the toll gate (just before 100 meters), I always have the habit of rolling down both the front windows completely, switch off the AC using the blower rotary knob, get the toll slip. After exiting from the toll gate and crossing some 100 meters (to let the fresh air come in), I switch on the AC using the rotary knob.
Now, While return, The AC was working fine until about 100Kms. After exiting the third toll gate, when I switched on the AC using the rotary knob, I heard a hissing sound for about ~5 seconds from the AC vents, after which the sound stopped and the cool air started flowing as usual. This repeated for the next 4 toll gate exits.
When I exited the 5 toll gate and did the same switch off and switch on, there was very less air flowing from the vents (neither hot, nor cold). I increased the blower speed to 2, 3, 4, but not much increase in air flow from the vents. Switch off and switched on the AC several times, but nothing seemed to come back to normal. The rest of the 100 KM journey, drove with the AC off. I am really scared if the blower has gone kaupt!

My car is under the standard 2 yrs warranty and I have got the additional 2 yrs extended warranty as well. I just thought of getting 'team-bhp'ians views & opinions before taking it to TATA after sales service.
DriveAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 20:43   #1206
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveAddict View Post
Experts, Gurus & Vista QJD Owners, please help me for the below 2 issues,
Details: Vista VX QJD manufactured in June2012,
KM run: 23000, Driven only by me.

1. Took my car to hometown (~450 Kms from Chennai) for Diwali. Had 5 passengers including me. Started in the evening after filling tank full Diesel, crawling in traffic using gears 1 to 4. With AC on, After crossing some 20 KMs, When I came to the 4 lane road, I engaged 5th gear at 1500rpm and accelerated as the road was clear, all of a sudden, when the rpm was nearing ~1.8K, I felt very slight repeated jerks (similar to how the engine will behave in a HH splendor+ once the petrol has reached reserve). I mean, The turbo kick was not linear. After few seconds, the needle easily climbed to 2K rpm with a slight boost in acceleration (could be felt). I could replicate this several times for the next 100+ kms, whenever I shifted every time from 4th to 5th. This has never happened in all the 23K kms I have driven it in the past 14 months. One weird thing was, I could NOT replicate it after 200Kms until the end of the journey.

On my way back from home town, I felt the same, for the first 100 kms. Later it did not show up. Could any one of you let me know if you have faced this issue before?
I really wonder, how this can happen, as I normally fill in the same good pump. I am really scared, if there is some issue with the fuel pump or the injectors

2. Normally, I switch on the thermostat with 75% cooling (blue side) with blower speed set at 1 and direction of flow towards the passengers (left most lowest setting). Recirculation mode will be always on. Whenever I approach the toll gate (just before 100 meters), I always have the habit of rolling down both the front windows completely, switch off the AC using the blower rotary knob, get the toll slip. After exiting from the toll gate and crossing some 100 meters (to let the fresh air come in), I switch on the AC using the rotary knob.
Now, While return, The AC was working fine until about 100Kms. After exiting the third toll gate, when I switched on the AC using the rotary knob, I heard a hissing sound for about ~5 seconds from the AC vents, after which the sound stopped and the cool air started flowing as usual. This repeated for the next 4 toll gate exits.
When I exited the 5 toll gate and did the same switch off and switch on, there was very less air flowing from the vents (neither hot, nor cold). I increased the blower speed to 2, 3, 4, but not much increase in air flow from the vents. Switch off and switched on the AC several times, but nothing seemed to come back to normal. The rest of the 100 KM journey, drove with the AC off. I am really scared if the blower has gone kaupt!

My car is under the standard 2 yrs warranty and I have got the additional 2 yrs extended warranty as well. I just thought of getting 'team-bhp'ians views & opinions before taking it to TATA after sales service.
1. Do you feel loss of power at 1800 RPM momentarily and car behaving normally later on?

If it is yes , ask the TASS to do compression test.

2. AC-- Vista has very low capacity compressor 440 gm, which is not sufficient to coll. Compressor and blower capacities do not match.

if you face less and less air after 2-3 hours, switch off AC and keep blower on at 4 for 5 minutes. Air flow will return to normal. AC can switched after 5 min. Now a days i do it religiously on highway travel. Switch off AC for 5 minutes after every 1-2 hours
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 13:45   #1207
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 7 Times
Unhappy Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
1. Do you feel loss of power at 1800 RPM momentarily and car behaving normally later on?

If it is yes , ask the TASS to do compression test.

2. AC-- Vista has very low capacity compressor 440 gm, which is not sufficient to coll. Compressor and blower capacities do not match.

if you face less and less air after 2-3 hours, switch off AC and keep blower on at 4 for 5 minutes. Air flow will return to normal. AC can switched after 5 min. Now a days i do it religiously on highway travel. Switch off AC for 5 minutes after every 1-2 hours
Yes rkg, You are nearly right. In Vista the turbo kicks at 1750rpm. Eventhough, it is very linear(could not be felt much), normally I could feel the pull between 1.7k to 2.2k rpm. But during my trip, I could not feel that surge as usual. There is some issue with the pull at about ~1.8k rpm for few seconds (~5 seconds) after which it becomes normal.
Note: I have never crossed 2.4K (~100KMPh) in my total ownership.
Pardon my ignorance. As you suggest me to do a compression test(what exactly is it?), Do you think something would be wrong with the head (or) gasket ? I am really afraid to let the TATA after sales service folks open up any components under the bonnet and mess up something that is already working Also, Shall I just take my car to the service center and explain the folks the issue and ask them to just do the compression test? I just do not want to be fleeced :(
DriveAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 14:29   #1208
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveAddict View Post
Yes rkg, You are nearly right. In Vista the turbo kicks at 1750rpm. Eventhough, it is very linear(could not be felt much), normally I could feel the pull between 1.7k to 2.2k rpm. But during my trip, I could not feel that surge as usual. There is some issue with the pull at about ~1.8k rpm for few seconds (~5 seconds) after which it becomes normal.
Note: I have never crossed 2.4K (~100KMPh) in my total ownership.
Pardon my ignorance. As you suggest me to do a compression test(what exactly is it?), Do you think something would be wrong with the head (or) gasket ? I am really afraid to let the TATA after sales service folks open up any components under the bonnet and mess up something that is already working Also, Shall I just take my car to the service center and explain the folks the issue and ask them to just do the compression test? I just do not want to be fleeced :(
There is nothing to worry about compression test. it is simple. just google for it. Intial batches of Vista( some of them , not all) had this problem with cylinder head gasket leak. Mine is Oct 2008. Initially the problem was very vague and i could not replicate , but towards the end of warranty at 62K i was able recreate it for them and they did it. In fact there is an internal circular from TATA about this. Compression test will tell if it is problem or not. if it Negative , the y may have to check for other things
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 14:47   #1209
BHPian
 
Anz1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 29
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

@Driveaddict
Dear, check all the oil seals of Engine. So ask TASS for a compression check using the OBD Tool. Also inspect for any visible oil traces in engine bay. If the car smoke in excess on normal acceleration then check your EGR sensor also. Do it fast on warranty period, otherwise you have to spend 35k instead of 500/-
Anz1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 20:24   #1210
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 133
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I dont think it is covered. If you check the warranty terms and conditions. I got mine replaced after 3 years. If you are ok with it...let it be the way it is.
Hi Bigben.. I have a similar problem with my Vista QJD which is 4 years old with 70k on the odo..can you please tell me how much did it cost for you to replace it ?
s@tan2s@int is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 20:27   #1211
BHPian
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 273
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post
Hi Bigben.. I have a similar problem with my Vista QJD which is 4 years old with 70k on the odo..can you please tell me how much did it cost for you to replace it ?

It costs about 800 bucks. I got it done at Malik cars in Towlichowki.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 13:25   #1212
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 20
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Hi All,

I was planning to open a new thread regarding one of my recent experiences with Vista D90 (VX) before I saw similar issue discussed here.

This is a new car and I have observed loss of power at least on 3 occasions (first when completed 6000 kms)

What I observed :

On my trip to Mysore, when I accelerated in 5th gear (on NICE expressway), as the speed touched around 100kmph, suddenly I observed accelerator vibrating + vehicle shudder and then speed falling to 80kmph, though I was still pressing the accelerator pedal for further acceleration. This happened for few minutes and then I further slowed the vehicle. Later while accelerating again, no issues and speed went up to 120kmph (I did not increased the speed any further)

This did not get repeated thereafter in whole journey (to Mysore and back to Bangalore).

Now last month we made a trip to Ooty (around 7000Kms on Odo) and observed the same issue again in similar fashion, i.e. issue popped up for few mins during start of journey and then did not re-appear in whole joureny (total of 900 kms covered and this happened in first 50 km of journey).

Third time it happened 2 days back in Bangalore on Outer Ring Road.

What could be the issue and should I worry about it, since this is just 6 month old car. I never observed this behaviour in my old Indica turbo DLX 2007 model.

Should I go for compression test or ask for other tests to be performed too?
Reason: I have observed the TASS at KHT motors whitefield, bangalore have been trying to be evasive on bringing up issues as if this is expected behaviour and have only actioned on insistence and some prior knowledge about the issue.

Seeking out help from fellow BHPians
Mahendraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 09:21   #1213
Newbie
 
bajica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 23
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Hello all,

This reply is with regards to recent problems of people experiencing loss of power.
I had too faced this issue long back (around 2 yrs), but then I observed that this particular issue was faced when I moved from city traffic to highway driving. The thing I noticed particularly was that the air outside is much cooler than the air in the city.
Hence I deduced that the ECU's air sensor would need sometime to adjust the fuel flow according to the fresh cool air thus giving the loss of power.

This was my observation from my VISTA experience.
Hope this might have helped someone.
bajica is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 19:07   #1214
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahendraps View Post
Hi All,

I was planning to open a new thread regarding one of my recent experiences with Vista D90 (VX) before I saw similar issue discussed here.

This is a new car and I have observed loss of power at least on 3 occasions (first when completed 6000 kms)

What I observed :

On my trip to Mysore, when I accelerated in 5th gear (on NICE expressway), as the speed touched around 100kmph, suddenly I observed accelerator vibrating + vehicle shudder and then speed falling to 80kmph, though I was still pressing the accelerator pedal for further acceleration. This happened for few minutes and then I further slowed the vehicle. Later while accelerating again, no issues and speed went up to 120kmph (I did not increased the speed any further)

This did not get repeated thereafter in whole journey (to Mysore and back to Bangalore).

Now last month we made a trip to Ooty (around 7000Kms on Odo) and observed the same issue again in similar fashion, i.e. issue popped up for few mins during start of journey and then did not re-appear in whole joureny (total of 900 kms covered and this happened in first 50 km of journey).

Third time it happened 2 days back in Bangalore on Outer Ring Road.

What could be the issue and should I worry about it, since this is just 6 month old car. I never observed this behaviour in my old Indica turbo DLX 2007 model.

Should I go for compression test or ask for other tests to be performed too?
Reason: I have observed the TASS at KHT motors whitefield, bangalore have been trying to be evasive on bringing up issues as if this is expected behaviour and have only actioned on insistence and some prior knowledge about the issue.

Seeking out help from fellow BHPians
I have faced exactly same issue what you are facing on all my highway trips of 8 & 16 days duration. the issue cropped up on the first day with an hour of high way travel and then never repeated itself later. Later on it became serious towards the end of extended warranty
FNG guy told me about the circular. Finally Concorde did it( changed the head gasket and also few valves)after i had written a mail to MD, Tata motors

This is a known issue in FIAT engine. there is an internal circular by TATA to all service centres. Insist on compression test. Cylinder head gasket may have to be changed.
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 18:59   #1215
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 20
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Here is further update on this issue.

I approached KHT motors service center for identification and rectification :


I apprised the above situation with a senior persion in workshop and he asked the customer associate of things that need to be done.


At the end of inspection and service, I was told that they did following to get away with the problem:


- Clean air filter (if blocked)

- Clean fuel oil filter (the customer associate said that they found traces of water - how can this be possible though?)

- Re-programmed ECU

- Did compression test (not sure if this was actually done based on my past experience, since I was continuously insisting and they did not wanted to sound negative)


All of this was done on Tuesday of 12th, Nov


Now Problem gets worse


Next three days car was driven in traffic condition so did not observe anything.

Today, Sunday 17th Nov, I got a free stretch of road to test the car if the problem is rectified.

It was NOT, only that it got worse. Not only did I observe same loss of power but two additional issues popped up


1. The Fuel consumption / Distance to empty screen started showing "Err 9" message
2. The vehicle was surrounded by smoke. I feared that the vehicle caught fire so I quickly ran out. I observed there was a lot of white smoke coming out of exhaust.


I am in a pretty bad situation now, with a prbability of engine getting damaged.
Updated the situation to Service GM of service center. He has been polite enough to personally look into this issue.

Keeping my figures crossed.

Mod Note : Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word software (MS Word etc.). That results in a formatting error on our Forum.

Click here to know how to remove FONT Tags from your post (Removing [FONT] [SIZE] and [COLOR] tags from your post).

Going forward, do keep in mind that it's best to type directly into Team-BHP.

Thanks

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th November 2013 at 19:56. Reason: Removed FONT tags.
Mahendraps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems Ice Technical Stuff 304 23rd October 2016 13:31
Help Required Indica Vista Safire or Indica Vista TDI Logical Hatchbacks 63 30th October 2011 08:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks