Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th December 2013, 15:44   #1231

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

I got the loss of power issue rectified.

Here is the update:

Tata Motors Pune folks came to Bangalore (Concorde Motors - Mysore road) to rectify similar issues which has been identified in a certain batch of 90 BHP fiat diesel engines (Vista D90 and Manza)

The symptom is loss of power as discussed in prior threads.
I was explained that there were three things done to do away with this problem

1. Clear the unburnt carbon due to past issues inside engine area where diesel is injected.
2. Adjust the sensors responsible for adjusting amount of diesel injected inside the combustion chamber.
3. Re-map ECU to calibrate right amount of diesel injection.

The issue was caused due to using the ECU programme suited for European conditions where weather is considerably colder (thus the oxygen intake will be more due to condensed air).
While in India due to this program logic, ECU ends up injecting higher quantity of diesel, leading to partially burnet disel and carbonization of injection area, further leading to more loss of power in subsequent runs.

So the folks have re-written the ECU specific to Indian conditions.

All that was updated to me post the rectification of problem. I have test driven the vehicle at above 100kmph for around 20 mins after getting the delivery and it does seem that the issue does get rectified.

However the interesting part is that service station folks are still oblivious to this issue and even in my case all the briefing was done by Tata Motors employee over the phone.

The service centre folks also updated that a total of 8 vehicles (90 bhp vista and Manza) were lined up to address this problem.

So if some one takes their vehicle to service station to rectify loss of power issue, they may meet the same fate as my earlier visit. There is definitely a communication gap that Tata motors should look into.

If some one is facing similar issue then they should bring the problem to immediate notice to tata motors folks as this may damage their engine unit in longer run + loss of power efficiency.
Mahendraps is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 14:26   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Guys
i am noticing a pronounced wobbling of the steering wheel from start off speeds right upto about 40-50kmph and it gradually reduces after that. this is very similar to the wobble one gets when wheels are not balanced but i just want to be sure that wheel imbalance can trigger a steering wobble at such low speeds ?

in other news, the front power window switches on the driver side decide to take a vacation at their will and hence i need to be really careful before deciding to pull the windows down!
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 16:30   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
i am noticing a pronounced wobbling of the steering wheel from start off speeds right upto about 40-50kmph and it gradually reduces after that. this is very similar to the wobble one gets when wheels are not balanced but i just want to be sure that wheel imbalance can trigger a steering wobble at such low speeds ?

in other news, the front power window switches on the driver side decide to take a vacation at their will and hence i need to be really careful before deciding to pull the windows down!
Guys
pls assist with the above issue

thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 11:00   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Guys

I also own 2009 vista with more than 1L kms on odo. Wobbling of steering wheel was an issue with my car as well with oem Goodyear GT3 tires. After replacement of tires it has been vanished.

Power window switches are nasty and can go out of action anytime. Reason for this is bad quality PCB inside which catches rust easily. I do fix up this problem by opening up switch panel and cleaning PCB, it is easy job for anybody who knows how to use screw driver. Or you can change switch panel with new one has quality has been improved significantly. I think new one costs Rs.1700 for driver side panel.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 19th December 2013 at 11:01.
sushantr5 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 11:49   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Guys
Narayan, I almost had the same problem in my Vista. Wobbling was there till 20kmph and again between 40-50 kmph. It was due to the OE Goodyear GT3s running in the front. After swapping them with the rear, the problem got rectified. So, for around 15000 KMs tyres weren't rotated till replacement.
Arun.K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 12:48   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I also own 2009 vista with more than 1L kms on odo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
Narayan, I almost had the same problem in my Vista.
Guys Thanks. will do as per your advice. also any ideas on how to deal with the hard clutch ?
Old 26th December 2013, 19:19   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Guys

Dear Narayan,

It appears to be due to tyres as suggested by others. I also have experienced this at low speeds. I won Vista safire 2009 and my tyres have done 45000 KMs and getting worn out.

I even noticed sound from right wheel and had asked TASS guys to check sound during service. They said that there is no problem with bearing or wheel alignment and balancing. I was not satisfied during test drive after service and asked Team leader from service team to come with me for test drive. He also noticed this sound during service and said that he will check the same. he replaced this tyre with spare tyre and sound was gone.
rammishra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 10:37   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Guys
I got the wobbling issue solved by doing as per your advice.

Now the only thing I wish I can fix is the hard clutch. any possibilities without replacing the entire clutch assembly ?
Old 31st December 2013, 10:53   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Guys

Now the only thing I wish I can fix is the hard clutch. any possibilities without replacing the entire clutch assembly ?
I assume your's is a Vista Quadrajet. If so, you could try getting the clutch bled properly and see how much difference it makes. Also ask them to oil the clutch fork which may make some difference. If this does not work, only option is to replace I think.

I recently got the clutch in my Manza replaced and details (including prices)are in post below. I can confirm Vista Quadrajet and Manza clutch is same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3330866
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 11:00   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
I assume your's is a Vista Quadrajet. If so, you could try getting the clutch bled properly and see how much difference it makes. Also ask them to oil the clutch fork which may make some difference. If this does not work, only option is to replace I think.

I recently got the clutch in my Manza replaced and details (including prices)are in post below. I can confirm Vista Quadrajet and Manza clutch is same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3330866
Thanks Amit. I had taken it to TASS and they felt clutch assembly has to be changed. Let me try clutch bleeding done outside and see if there is a difference. I am also told that the early batch Vistas from 2008/09 had premature clutch hardness. Presume thats the case with mine as well
Old 6th January 2014, 08:52   #1241
BHPian

My 2009 vista also had a very hard clutch. This was when it was new. They connected a device with a reading to the clutch pedal and then pressed it. The reading given was high. The pressure plate was replaced free of cost. You might want to check if the pressure plate needs replacement.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 19:15   #1242

Quote:
Guys

Hi,

Good to know that this problem has been solved.
I think you need to know 1 thing which affected my vista. The OE goodyear's developed air bubbles or deform after some time which creates the wobbling issue.
Hope this helps anyone looking at a similar problem.
bajica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 16:46   #1243
BHPian

Got my Vista serviced on Saturday at Malik cars in Towlichowki. She has just closed 60k kms. Among other things that were changed I got the front brake pads replaced- Rs 2400. The air recirculation motor was also kaput. This small little motor costs 1000 bucks and 450 bucks to fix.
Total damage was Rs 8900 including consumables.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 11:22   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Guys
So 2 days back the " check engine " light keeps popping on regularly. Basically going on and then disppearing after some time.

Got it checked at my FNG and it was apparently a glow plug issue. Got it replaced. Total damanges Rs1400 ( 1200 + labour )

Presume this is inline with normal wear and tear for a 5 yr old 37k run car or am I doing something wrong which I need to correct ?
Old 30th January 2014, 12:23   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Guys
So 2 days back the " check engine " light keeps popping on regularly. Basically going on and then disppearing after some time.

Got it checked at my FNG and it was apparently a glow plug issue. Got it replaced. Total damanges Rs1400 ( 1200 + labour )

Presume this is inline with normal wear and tear for a 5 yr old 37k run car or am I doing something wrong which I need to correct ?
I have a similar issue with my vista. Every day morning the check engine light comes on and stays for about about 2 kilometers of drive and then it goes off. Been going on for about a year now. Did you get any error codes while the check engine light was on?
vista_qjd is offline   Reply With Quote