Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th November 2014, 15:49   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Thanks Ajay - Does this cover the entire clutch assembly including the hydraulics ? ( master/slave cylinder etc ? ) When was it done ( approx date ? )
My FNG is quoting around 10k for the same job !
It was done in the month of May, 2014. Also, my clutch replacement did not involve the entire assembly change. But I remember the cost of clutch replacement is 7k as per Tata's standard list.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 21:33   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Guys

The problem I'm facing now is a significant lateral movement of the front end of the car at low speeds + steering wobble + strong left pull as well. At low speeds its like I'm going over a uneven surface. I tried swapping front and back tyres but no change. I also hear thuds when the car goes into moderate bumps/speed breakers. I thought the wobble/shake could be a steering box issue but my FNG says the front struts are gone. Any thoughts from you guys ? Car has run around 42k
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 11:57   #1338

Hi Narayan
I had replaced only the clutch plate (Fiat) make for Vista. Works like a charm - close to 2000 kms done after I had replaced.

Regarding left pulling, most certainly this is related to front shock or struts..I had this issue long back and resolved by changing the struts.

I think it would be worth a visit to Ignite garage on ECR and meet Raghav..

@ Ajay : I went for Bridgestone tyres - AR20 - good road grip and better handling...
asbalaji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 15:39   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbalaji View Post
Hi Narayan
I had replaced only the clutch plate (Fiat) make for Vista. Works like a charm - close to 2000 kms done after I had replaced.

Regarding left pulling, most certainly this is related to front shock or struts..I had this issue long back and resolved by changing the struts.

I think it would be worth a visit to Ignite garage on ECR and meet Raghav..
Thanks Balaji. How much was the cost of replacing the clutch plate alone and separately for the front struts ? I would like to speak with you if you are available. I dont think I can pm you. in case you can message me, pls send me your number
Old 6th November 2014, 15:24   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Guys would anyone have the part number for the Front Strut for the Vista ( 2009 ) model ?
Old 6th November 2014, 17:53   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Guys would anyone have the part number for the Front Strut for the Vista ( 2009 ) model ?
Rs.3600
http://www.99rpm.com/tata/front-susp...ire-vista.html
sushantr5 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 18:02   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Thanks. Since the TASS was not having stock ( atleast they sounded not very enthusiastic about an OTC sale ), I went to the GP ROAD market ( known for auto spares in Chennai ) and picked up MONROE brand struts for the Vista. Cost me Rs3500 per piece
Old 7th November 2014, 12:57   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Check this list if its helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: xls spares.xls (924.5 KB, 502 views)
Arunshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 11:37   #1344
Senior - BHPian

To update, got the struts from Gp road and got it fixed in my Vista. After that the steering wobble has gone. thanks to all members for the inputs.

Now I need to check if i can get the clutch fixed.

Need a help here. When I enquired for parts, the dealer is asking me to bring the CRB for inspection because he says there are many designs for the Vista. Can someone help with the specific part numbers for a 2009 December model Vista QJD ? This is the model immediately before the Drivetech 4 one

thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 21:45   #1345
BHPian

My 2009 Vista Quadrajet is at the 1,00,000 km mark. It has run on mineral oil till date. My mechanic and TASS both have suggested to get the timing chain replaced. Is it required??? And, is it advisable to change to synthetic oil like the Mobil delvac 1 5w-40 after 1 lakh kms or is it better to stick to mineral oils?
petroguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 22:38   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
My 2009 Vista Quadrajet is at the 1,00,000 km mark. It has run on mineral oil till date. My mechanic and TASS both have suggested to get the timing chain replaced. Is it required??? And, is it advisable to change to synthetic oil like the Mobil delvac 1 5w-40 after 1 lakh kms or is it better to stick to mineral oils?
Replace the timing belt every 90,000 Kms to be on safe side. If it breaks then repairing costs could be as high as 15K Rs. Also replace all other belts every 50K kms or 2-3 Years.

Your engine is 1L Kms old, its no time to start doing experiments now, just stick to what has worked till now i.e. mineral oil. In Tata cars just follow the regular things and you will be happy, anything like Synthetic oil will not give you a dramatic change on 1L kms old engine. Instead you might try Bardahl Engine oil additive.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 22:14   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Replace the timing belt every 90,000 Kms to be on safe side. If it breaks then repairing costs could be as high as 15K Rs. Also replace all other belts every 50K kms or 2-3 Years.

Your engine is 1L Kms old, its no time to start doing experiments now, just stick to what has worked till now i.e. mineral oil. In Tata cars just follow the regular things and you will be happy, anything like Synthetic oil will not give you a dramatic change on 1L kms old engine. Instead you might try Bardahl Engine oil additive.
The Quadrajet engine has a TIMING CHAIN. As per the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual it does not need a replacement. However the TDI and Safire (Petrol) engines do require timing belt changes after 1lakh kms. But my Service advisor and my FNG are suggesting a replacement of the timing chain.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 22:27   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Quadrajet engine has a TIMING CHAIN. As per the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual it does not need a replacement. However the TDI and Safire (Petrol) engines do require timing belt changes after 1lakh kms. But my Service advisor and my FNG are suggesting a replacement of the timing chain.
My bad I mistaken it for Belt. As for Timing Chains they are designed to last for the life of the vehicle. My Safari 3.0L Dicor has done 1.7L Kms and still on stock timing chain. Don't change the timing chain, your SA is taking you for a ride.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 22:40   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
My bad I mistaken it for Belt. As for Timing Chains they are designed to last for the life of the vehicle. My Safari 3.0L Dicor has done 1.7L Kms and still on stock timing chain. Don't change the timing chain, your SA is taking you for a ride.
Thanks for the reply. And, regarding the turbo, my FNG mechanic was telling me that the turbo of the car is leaking oil. And that the turbo would require a replacement after about 25k (125000) kms. However, I do not find any problem with the turbo and the turbo performs as it did on day 1.
petroguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 09:39   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. And, regarding the turbo, my FNG mechanic was telling me that the turbo of the car is leaking oil. And that the turbo would require a replacement after about 25k (125000) kms. However, I do not find any problem with the turbo and the turbo performs as it did on day 1.
A bad turbo has nothing todo with oil leak. Oil leak can be due to busted oil seal, leaking hoses. When a turbo is at fault you will hear pronounced turbo whistle (as is the case with my Safari), poor pick-up, heavy smoke, harsh engine. If none of this is happening then donot replace turbo instead find the cause of leak (busted oil seal, loose hoses etc.) and rectify it. You might have to take it to outside mechanic (you can ask any car taxi guy about good diesel mechanics in your region, this is how I found my mechanic and have been visiting him since last 8 years).

Last edited by mercedised : 16th December 2014 at 09:40.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote