Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th January 2015, 18:37   #1381
BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
1) USB not working
This comes with a built-in music system. The original owner has never used the USB (he was not aware of it!)
I find that the USB is not detecting at all. I have tried with various brands (Hp, sandisk, Kingston, Transcend, sony, etc) and various capacities (512mb, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 16GB)
haria,

For the USB, I'm not sure if you have tried checking the formatting of the USB drive. Most of the music systems accept only FAT32. If your drives are of NTFS, reformat to FAT32 and try with a smaller drive first as some may have upper size limit too. That said, if possible check in someone else's car too.
jetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 21:20   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
2) Most likely wheel balancing only. Even after that if it doesnt get resolved, try moving the rear tyres front and then check again. Sometimes the tyres could have minor bulges
3) have you cleaned the a/c filter that is under the glove compartment ? most likely this will be the issue. post that if there is still an issue, check for gas levels
4) common problem with Vistas. each strut costs around 400-500rs. no clue on warranty coverage but no harm in checking
Thanks narayan! I checked the tyres superficially - there is a small tear on the sidewall of the Front RH tyre - probably caused by a stone-hit. I will get the wheel alignment checked.

Will get the AC also checked out.

Yeah, the struts costs about Rs.350/- SA told he will revert back on the warranty part of it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Congrats on the new car Coming to the point immediately:

Problem 1: If the USB is attached via cable, check the cable and jacks. Though I haven't seen the system, but if the HU is otherwise working fine, I don't think much can go wrong just for the USB.

Problem 2: Hmmm...You have some pointers at hand. Add the most likely causes - wheel balancing and check the lower arms, CV joints and steering tie rod joints. Should solve the problem; given that the car has a clean history (from accidents). Stick to manufacturer stated air pressure or at the max 2 points over it.

Problem 3: Check for air bubbles visible on the receiver drier bottle in the engine bay. Better would be check refrigerant pressure at the AC service shops or even at the ASC.

Problem 4: Don't really know if they will extend that but given the image makeover TML is making an attempt at, it is worth a shot to try with them.

Problem 5: Not if done at TASS. But they would charge a premium rate.

Regards.
Thanks for the wishes, Saket!

The USB slot is a part of the unit itself.No externally visible cables connecting the USB. I was hesitant to open this up myself. Will get this checked at some other place.

I have added wheel alignment check as the priority thing to be done. Will check the other aspects also.

I will ask the TASC on the cost of fitting these accessories. If the difference is not very high, will probably get it done thru TASC itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
haria,

For the USB, I'm not sure if you have tried checking the formatting of the USB drive. Most of the music systems accept only FAT32. If your drives are of NTFS, reformat to FAT32 and try with a smaller drive first as some may have upper size limit too. That said, if possible check in someone else's car too.
No luck Jetti. I tried this before posting. In fact in the 512mb pendrive, I even tried formatting in plain FAT (not even FAT16 / FAT32). This also didn't work. Hoping that it is just a cable which is loose. I will take the USB to the service centre and try it on some other cars there.

Last edited by haria : 27th January 2015 at 21:33.
haria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 13:43   #1383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today managed to purchase the parts for the clutch replacement job for my Vista which I reported above. Parts bought were
Got the entire clutch work done and the clutch now feels like a new car. For the past 15,000kms clutch has been hard and now with this change its a welcome relieve for the left knee. Decided to get the entire clutch + MC/SC replaced rather than doing part work and getting the vehicle back in the workshop for more. Below are details of work done and cost

1) Towing charges - Rs 300
2) Clutch set ( Valeo ) - Rs 2914
3) Master cylinder ( Valeo ) - Rs1667
4) Slave cylinder (Valeo ) - Rs968
5) CRB - Rs300
6) Gear oil - Motul - 2Lits - Rs500
7) Labour - Rs2500
8) Wheel alignment post clutch work - Rs350

Total - Rs9499

Pls note that pt 2,3,4,5 I got the parts at dealer prices directly from the stockist. This helped save around Rs2000
narayan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 14:58   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the price list. By clutch set did you mean the clutch plates?
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 17:00   #1385
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3) Master cylinder ( Valeo ) - Rs1667
5) CRB - Rs300
Clutch set TASS price Rs 4500/ odd
Master cylinder around Rs 2200/-
CRB around 500/-
Labour for clutch overhaul at TASS is 1150 + Tax
You got them damn cheap. Who is the stockist there?

Last edited by rkg : 30th January 2015 at 17:02.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 17:30   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Thanks for the price list. By clutch set did you mean the clutch plates?
Yes - it comes as a complete set

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Clutch set TASS price Rs 4500/ odd
Master cylinder around Rs 2200/-
CRB around 500/-
Labour for clutch overhaul at TASS is 1150 + Tax
You got them damn cheap. Who is the stockist there?
CRB is Rs800
Slave cylinder around Rs1350
Master cylinder around Rs 2400

and all the above will carry VAT of 14.5%. Prices I quoted above include VAT.

Labour for clutch overhaul is around Rs2000 and I guess this covers only if clutch kit is being replaced. If cylinders are also replaced labour charge is more.

What I got was a one off case where I knew the OE co and hence they asked their stockist to sell to me. Stockist is otherwise not allowed to do retail sale.
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 18:18   #1387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got the entire clutch work done and the clutch now feels like a new car. For the past 15,000kms clutch has been hard and now with this change its a welcome relieve for the left knee. Decided to get the entire clutch + MC/SC replaced rather than doing part work and getting the vehicle back in the workshop for more. Below are details of work done and cost
Great you got the whole set changed rather than the problematic one.

I am surprised to see the prices of the individual parts:

I had enquired as an MGP outlet for the clutch set prices for Swift ZDi (2013) and it was

Pressure plate and clutch plate: 3100
Clutch release bearing: 2900.

What the MGP guy says is the CRB doesn't get worn out so most replacements are the clutch and pressure plates.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 13:13   #1388
BHPian

I have a vista quadrajet that has run for about 105000 kms. This monday, I had some urgent work and i noticed some very mild screeching noise from the engine bay. Since, I was in a hurry, i did not check it. After driving for about 90kms, I was waiting at a signal to take a right turn when I suddenly heard the screeching sound become very evident and the power assistance to the steering immediately failed and the battery charging icon was glowing on the dashboard. After taking the turn, I stopped the car. I then thought of driving it for another 200 meters as I knew a mechanic in that locality. Within a couple of meters, the temperature gauge shot up to the maximum limit and the warning lights lit up. I stopped the car right away. Then, I went and brought the mechanic and the vehicle was towed to the garage. Upon inspection, it was revealed that the bearing that houses the alternator belt was worn completely and the belt had slipped off. This resulted in the battery getting discharged, which as per the mechanic caused the power steering not to work and the radiator fan not to work which resulted in overheating.

He then replaced the bearing that houses the alternator belt and the vehicle is now running smoothly.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 19th February 2015 at 13:17.
petroguzzler is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 13:24   #1389
Distinguished - BHPian

Amidst of reading your post, I knew that the culprit was the fan belt. However, modern cars do not rely on fan belts to drive the radiator fan unlike older cars. The radiator fan is connected to a electric motor which runs when the coolant temperature crosses a preset threshold. Don't know why the temperature rose; however, your presence of mind and stopping the vehicle immediately saved you hefty service bills.

Regards,
Saket

EDIT: May be the water pump was connected to the same belt and hence the rise in temperature. Good that your car is running perfectly. This could have resulted in a severe engine damage.

Last edited by saket77 : 19th February 2015 at 13:26.
saket77 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 15:50   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Now my Vista's gear shifter cable has given away. Would you guys know if the Swift and Vista have the same part ?
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 08:29   #1391
BHPian

My Indica Vista Quadrajet had completed 105,000 kms recently. The owners manual does not recommend a timing chain change. I'm not sure whether I should change the timing chain or not. Is there any way of checking the timing chain and its tensioners? Given the extensive damage that could be caused to the engine if the chain gives away, I'm inclined to go for a replacement. Any suggestions?
petroguzzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 08:59   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
My Indica Vista Quadrajet had completed 105,000 kms recently. The owners manual does not recommend a timing chain change. I'm not sure whether I should change the timing chain or not. Is there any way of checking the timing chain and its tensioners? Given the extensive damage that could be caused to the engine if the chain gives away, I'm inclined to go for a replacement. Any suggestions?
The Vista Quadrajet is the Fiat 1.3l MJD and Fiat recommends changing the timing belt every 60k kms. Also snapping of timing belt will cause serious problems. You ought to change it immediately. The rubber loses its elasticity after some years and becomes hard.

The Vista may be a non-interference engine. Still snapping of the timing belt may leave you stranded on the road and towing charges will cost a lot. Mostly 80k kms is the maximum life of a timing belt. But we have older Endura Ford Ikons with 100k on the odo and running on the same factory-fitted timing belt. But it is safer to change the timing belt before 100k.

Some symptoms of a failing timing belt-

1. The car will take more time than normal to start in the morning.

2. The will be shaky because an old timing belt will not be as perfectly timed as a new one. This may happen with a new timing belt too if it is not timed perfectly.

3. More exhaust gases than normal while starting in the morning.
Ashok Naik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 13:40   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post
The Vista Quadrajet is the Fiat 1.3l MJD and Fiat recommends changing the timing belt every 60k kms. Also snapping of timing belt will cause serious problems. You ought to change it immediately. The rubber loses its elasticity after some years and becomes hard.
The Fiat 1.3l MJD does not have a timing belt. It has a timing chain. As per the manual, for the MJD used in Tata there is no mention of the timing chain change anywhere. However for their TDi engine, they have clearly specified that the timing belt should be changed at 1 lakh kms. Only Fiat seems to recommend a timing chain change for their cars using the MJD engine. IIRC, even Maruti does not recommend a timing chain change.
petroguzzler is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 17:09   #1394
BHPian

I changed the timing chain on my Vista at 72000 kilometres. All of a sudden one morning I noticed that the engine was making a peculiar sound which would increase upon accelerating. The sound was like a whistle. I took it to TM and after a thorough diagnosis performed by 4-5 technicians, it boiled down to the timing chain. On opening the engine they noticed that the timing chain was scraping against the metallic cover that covers it which resulted in that whistling sound.
Thank God I had it checked in time. I was also thankful that it was not the turbo or any other part. Got it fixed and ever since then I have not faced the issue again. The reason I am mentioning this is because the symptoms were quite contrary to what one would expect from a timing chain issue.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 23:09   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
The Fiat 1.3l MJD does not have a timing belt. It has a timing chain. As per the manual, for the MJD used in Tata there is no mention of the timing chain change anywhere. However for their TDi engine, they have clearly specified that the timing belt should be changed at 1 lakh kms. Only Fiat seems to recommend a timing chain change for their cars using the MJD engine. IIRC, even Maruti does not recommend a timing chain change.
Hello Mr. Petroguzzler,

I got it wrong. It is the timing chain. Timing belts are obsolete these days. Kindly correct me if I am wrong-

The vista quadrajet is sourced directly from the Fiat plant in Ranjangaon. So basically the same engine would be used in both the vista quadrajet and the fiat punto. So why is there a difference in the interval of timing belt change in these 2 cars? And even the vista quadrajet comes with the same smooth Fiat drive train.

Regards,
Ashok.
Ashok Naik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote