Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th March 2017, 01:39   #1411
BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Glow-plug costs about 1k a piece
I am curious to know why a glow-plug costs ~1k? Isn't it just a piece of metal?
skumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 08:06   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
I am curious to know why a glow-plug costs ~1k? Isn't it just a piece of metal?
umm.. Everything inside the car is made of metal, and costs different.

I'm curious to know, why do you think it wont cost that much?
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 11:29   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I'm curious to know, why do you think it wont cost that much?
I saw one when it got replaced in my vista, it looks like a pencil made of metal. I don't think this piece has any milling/stamping/painting done unlike other parts in the car.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:52   #1414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
I saw one when it got replaced in my vista, it looks like a pencil made of metal. I don't think this piece has any milling/stamping/painting done unlike other parts in the car.
Wow.. If you go on judging parts & prices only by the way they look, and not what they do, you will have a hard time accepting some prices of tiny parts. I would suggest you judge a part by what it does, how it is manufactured (process), what materials used etc..etc.. and not just how it looks.

Eg: Injectors - look tiny, like you said a metal pencil, but cost a bomb.
Same with most of the car parts.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 12:44   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Wow.. If you go on judging parts & prices only by the way they look, and not what they do, you will have a hard time accepting some prices of tiny parts. I would suggest you judge a part by what it does, how it is manufactured (process), what materials used etc..etc.. and not just how it looks.
I never tried to judge and never mentioned its not worth 1k, I was in fact looking for more info. Thanks for your advice though.
Old 18th March 2017, 14:14   #1416
BHPian

Default Re: Buy a tata car u will be in real trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_01 View Post
PS: My advice "if you are in Bangalore never ever consider Prerna motors for any work".
My reply comes after about 3 years from this message as I was not the member on this forum at that time. However, when my membership got approved, my vista was sold off within a couple of month’s time and therefore did not follow this thread anymore.

Coming back to the subject, I always carried better opinion about Prerana Motors as I got satisfactory services from them during my 2 visits, once at their Electronic City location and once at their Peenya location.

It was August 2012 when I was on my way to Chennai. After crossing Bangalore and some 5-6 odd kms before Hosur, the temperature guage on my Indica Vista Safire started climbing rapidly and sat firmly at 5 dots (the maximum level). Called up TASS at Hosur, who after inspection, informed that the radiator fan had gone kaput and need to be replaced. They advised me to go to Prerana Motors at electronic city where the fan assembly was readily available. Following their advice I drove back to Prerana motors where the desired service was performed. They voluntarily also conducted a general check up of the vehicle and identified some grave serious issues such as a completely rusted radiator mounting bracket and a bent pin rod. Me as a customer had full access into their workshop and could observe all activities right before my eyes. In view of time constraints I kept the replacement work in abeyance and decided to carryout replacements here itself during my return journey. After service the car was handed over to me sparking clean.

I proceed towards Chennai with words of caution from the service staff at Prerana. On my return journey, I decided to halt at my relative’s house which was close to Peenya, I contacted the service centre at Peenya who responded very well, they arranged to pick up the car and drop back at my location. They returned all replaced components promptly and in a well packed manner without need for me to even demand them. The car was returned sparking clean inside out. I left Bangalore quite impressed with their service which was better than what I experience at the regular TATA service centre in Deonar, Mumbai.

The only fly in the ointment was the undesired change in the exhaust note at engine idle which earlier was a sweet, continuous and uniform hmmmmmm....... type which now turned to somewhat intermittent puffs like phurrr..................phurrrr..................p hurrr..................phurrr.....type.
King_pin09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 08:38   #1417
BHPian

An issue has cropped up with my Tata Vista Vdi which is 4 years old but the running has been very little (<30k). Last month when I started for office, in the parking itself the car refused to start. It kept cranking but did not start. So I traveled by cab and in the evening when I tried again it started at the first go.

Now yesterday while returning from office, I stopped at an ATM near my house. When I returned to the car, same problem except this time there was no cranking. I know this cannot be a battery issue since all other functions were operating smoothly - the horn/wipers/power windows/headlights were all functioning alright. So I left the car there and returned this morning but little difference. Last night when I turned the key there was absolutely no response. Today morning, when the key was turned to ON position, there was the usual sound of the starter engaging but no cranking.

After a 'dhakka start', I have given the car to my local garage. Any ideas/suggestions on resolving this issue?
luvDriving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 11:50   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
I know this cannot be a battery issue since all other functions were operating smoothly - the horn/wipers/power windows/headlights were all functioning alright.
Most likely cause is the battery. Starting a car takes a lot more current than headlights and other electrical. So, I would not be so sure that battery is all fine. In fact I suspect the battery the first. Get the battery + alternator checked.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 17:13   #1419
BHPian

Well it was not the battery or the starter after all. It was a switch that had shorted (according to the garage owner). That replaced, all is good with the Vista once again.
luvDriving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 18:14   #1420

Hi Friends

My Indica Vista VX has covered 65k KM. I am facing 2 serious issues with my car. First, in past few months I realized in heavy traffic or city driving pressing the clutch would take lot of efforts (verbatim of service advisor at TASS – Clutch Hard). I got it checked in a local garage & TASS. They suggested me that the issue is with the Pressure plate however Pressure plates and Clutch comes together so both must be changed. Now in last around 6000kms I had to get 3 Clutch & pressure plates changed but the issue persists. Local garage and TASS simply say to change it but I find it hard to believe that this is an issue with the pressure plates only.
Second, the ABS light on the console would show up for no reason. Again got it checked at TASS and every time I am told that there was some error in the software which they have removed so it will not come up again. They even cleaned all the ABS sensors but the light still comes up. I have to switch the engine off and it will go away. While the ABS light is on ABS would not work and car skids on heavy braking.

Any suggestions?
racsaxen is offline   Reply With Quote