Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th June 2013, 14:00   #16

Default Re: Car battery!

Hey,
I was looking for a car battery for my Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi. Can someone please suggest which battery to go for? Plus I would like to know if someone knows where to get the battery from. Please share the price if someone has bought a battery for a similar car.

Thanks and regards,

El Diablo
eldiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 17:08   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo View Post
Hey,
I was looking for a car battery for my Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi. Can someone please suggest which battery to go for? Plus I would like to know if someone knows where to get the battery from. Please share the price if someone has bought a battery for a similar car.

Thanks and regards,

El Diablo
Hello eldiablo & welcome to Teambhp!

I don't know the exact battery model which the Octavia carries, but surely Amaron is among the best that is available to us. I am sure many people with more experience & knowledge on this will come in to help you.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 17:23   #18

Unhappy Re: Car battery!

Hey Saket,

Thank you for responding so quickly to my query. I was convinced that Amaron batteries are one of the best. I was offered one for 9 k with a 50 month warranty.

But, the dealer (local Amaron dealer in pune) himself discouraged me from buying Amaron. He said that 'people' have come to him and have replaced their Amaron batteries with Exide batteries in similar cars (Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdis'). He said that they ('people') faced issues since the Amarons do not support the A/C, which is powerful in an Octavia.

I am confused now. I do not know what to do.

1) I have noticed that Amarons are cheaper than Exide batteries.
2) Some dealers are giving a 48 month warranty, others are giving 60 month warranty on the same product.
3) The prices vary between a 1000 to 2500 between dealers.
4) I do not know where to go as I do not understand a thing about batteries.
5) I realize that I am spending around 10k for a battery, and therefore do not want to run between garages and office.

Please direct me to a battery dealer if you know one. Any more suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks and regards.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Saket,

Thank you for responding so quickly to my query. I was convinced that Amaron batteries are one of the best. I was offered one for 9 k with a 50 month warranty.

But, the dealer (local Amaron dealer in pune) himself discouraged me from buying Amaron. He said that 'people' have come to him and have replaced their Amaron batteries with Exide batteries in similar cars (Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdis'). He said that they ('people') faced issues since the Amarons do not support the A/C, which is powerful in an Octavia.

2) Some dealers are giving a 48 month warranty, others are giving 60 month warranty on the same product.
5) I realize that I am spending around 10k for a battery, and therefore do not want to run between garages and office.

Please direct me to a battery dealer if you know one. Any more suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks and regards.
I would suggest to go in for the Amarons aswell and don't listen to the dealer as the A/C has no effect on the battery unless you run the blower with the car switched off, I have been running my Elantra 2.0 CRDI on the Amaron for close to 3.5 years now and have not faced any issues with them. Just check the battery rating on your current battery and buy one with similar or a little upgraded specs.

I am sorry i cannot help you with your other queries as i haven't bought a battery in the last 3 yrs and i do not live in Pune.

Last edited by rocky080 : 20th June 2013 at 17:51.
rocky080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 17:59   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I suggest that you go for Amaron as rightly pointed by Rocky, the battery has no effect on the AC, until you plan to run the blower with engine off. The AC would not operate then anyway! I guess the dealer might be making more money by selling Exide than Amaron, hence they may be pushing for it.
Check the rating of the battery in your manual and then go for the cheapest offer you get. Its not uncommon so see fluctuations in the prices of the same battery.

As I see, you are based in Pune, I don't have much idea about the dealers there. Just go for the best offer in terms of price & warranty and make sure that you give what your car wants in terms of battery rating.

Regards,
Saket
Old 20th June 2013, 18:01   #21

Hey Rocky,

Thank you for your inputs. I am not sure what 'battery rating' means. I will speak to another dealer or my mechanic and get the correct information from him. Maybe he knows where should I get a battery.

Thanks a ton.
Old 20th June 2013, 18:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Saket,

Thanks and regards.
Don't worry . The dealer must be having a greater margin in exide . Amaron is the best there is.
I am using Amaron batteries for the past 5 years now. Excellent product and service. Exide is a nightmare when it comes to replacements.

Just go for Amaron. As far as warranty and price difference is concerned, it may be because of battery model. Amaron Flo & Amaron Pro - pro has higher warranty.

Since you live in Pune you can visit:
Reliance Autozone Ltd.,
Ground Floor, Swayambhu, Sujay Garden,
Mukund Nagar, Near Laxmi Narayan Theatre, Swargate,
Pune-411037
Mob: 08600022811
Timing: 10:00 AM to 08:30 PM
Pretty reliable here in Gurgaon.

Also remember that from wherever you buy , the dealer will buyback your old battery.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 18:28   #23

Smile Re: Car battery!

Thanks k2max6,
I called these guys and they told me that they do not have batteries for Skodas.

I think I will check with a few other dealers and settle mostly for Amaron. Will keep you guys posted about the developments.

I thank all of you once again.

Regards.
Old 20th June 2013, 18:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Rocky,

Thank you for your inputs. I am not sure what 'battery rating' means. I will speak to another dealer or my mechanic and get the correct information from him. Maybe he knows where should I get a battery.

Thanks a ton.
Hi Eldiablo,

Every battery has a power rating in terms of AH and DIN for example the rating of new Elantra is 68AH and model is AGM 70L-DIN Source:http://www.hemanual.com/agm_battery_specifications-1393.html. So 70 DIN and a AH value close to it is the number we need to look for when buying a battery. But any battery above this 70 rating is also okay till a certain limit, lets say 75 or 80 depending upon your requirement.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by rocky080 : 20th June 2013 at 18:37.
rocky080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 18:59   #25

Hey Rocky,

This does help. Thanks a ton. I will make sure that I have the correct battery rating.

Regards.
Old 26th June 2013, 16:27   #26

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for your advice. I could not find an Amaron battery as they were out of stock with most dealers. I therefore settled for a non-maintenance Exide battery with a warranty of 5 years (30+30).

Following are my next set of requirements:

1. Tyres: I want tyres for all season. I have alloys in the car that came as standard fitment on this particular model (Octavia 1.9 Tdi Classic Rider).
2. Parking sensors: parking this beast is a tough job.
3. Powerful headlight bulbs: IMO the bulbs that come with the car are not as powerful as I would like.

I am not a technical person and do not understand what goes where.

Thanks and regards,

ElDiablo
Old 26th June 2013, 17:21   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Following are my next set of requirements:

1. Tyres: I want tyres for all season. I have alloys in the car that came as standard fitment on this particular model (Octavia 1.9 Tdi Classic Rider).
2. Parking sensors: parking this beast is a tough job.
3. Powerful headlight bulbs: IMO the bulbs that come with the car are not as powerful as I would like.

ElDiablo
1. Go for either Michelins, Yokos or Bridgestone. They are among the best in business.

2. Parking sensors: No idea for brands!

3. Headlamp: Go for 100/90W bulbs. The stock configuration is 60/55W which at times feels inadequate. But 100/90w will need new set of wires & a relay. That means some change in your original wiring. The warranty may be void when you fit these. Alternatively, you can go for Osram Nightbreakers or Philips Extremevision. These are direct fits with no mods required and are brighter than the stock bulbs, although carrying the same wattage.

Regards,
Saket
Old 26th June 2013, 17:31   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
1. Go for either Michelins, Yokos or Bridgestone. They are among the best in business.

2. Parking sensors: No idea for brands!

3. Headlamp: Go for 100/90W bulbs. The stock configuration is 60/55W which at times feels inadequate. But 100/90w will need new set of wires & a relay. That means some change in your original wiring. The warranty may be void when you fit these. Alternatively, you can go for Osram Nightbreakers or Philips Extremevision. These are direct fits with no mods required and are brighter than the stock bulbs, although carrying the same wattage.

Regards,
Saket

Thanks Saket77

Any idea how much the bulbs and relay cost. It is so difficult to find the right guy for these things. They quote ridiculous amounts of money. Plus the price difference between dealers is so much, that it confuses a unsuspecting buyer like myself.

Thanks and regards,

ElDiablo
Old 26th June 2013, 18:03   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Saket77

Any idea how much the bulbs and relay cost. It is so difficult to find the right guy for these things. They quote ridiculous amounts of money. Plus the price difference between dealers is so much, that it confuses a unsuspecting buyer like myself.

Thanks and regards,

ElDiablo

The entire set of relay, wires and holder will cost around 800 bucks. Philips 100/90 watts will be around Rs. 350-400/- for a pair. Add labor cost: not more than 200 bucks. That should cost in all Rs. 1300-1400/-.

In case you opt for Philips Xtreme Vision, then no relay & mods will be needed as its a direct fit.

For more detailed replies & suggestions, you hae have a look at the following threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ting-here.html (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-breakers.html (Where to buy Osram Night Breakers ?!?)

Regards,
Saket
Old 27th June 2013, 16:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The entire set of relay, wires and holder will cost around 800 bucks.
================
accessories/91233-where-buy-osram-night-breakers.html[/url]

Regards,
Saket

Saket

I cannot thank you enough for repeatedly helping me out for my little nagging problems.

Regards,

ElDiablo
eldiablo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote