Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 23:06   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Accidently drove my car with handbrake on!

Okay, first laugh all you can

So, I took out my almost 2 month old Hyundai i10 today and forgot to push down the handbrake. I could feel some resistance but thought since I am a new driver, its just me. When I finally realized my folly, I had already driven for almost 5 kms.

Should I anticipate any damage to tyres, brakes etc? I checked with a mechanic and he casually said that if I am able to apply brakes, there's no harm done.
NK@Hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 23:46   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 448
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

NK@Hyd welcome to the world of driving!

No laughing matter dude. This has happened to most of us.
Apart from reducing the life of your tires/brake pads by a few 100 kms, no other damage.

By the way, I am very sure your next thread will be titled something like this "Cranked my engine when the car was already started. Is my engine damaged?"

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 24th February 2009 at 23:48.
amohit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 23:51   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

nothing for worry about..we all learn from our mistakes. I am sure you will check on your hand brake from now on and will know what the problem is if you feel resistance..
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 23:58   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
karankapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in the car!!!
Posts: 1,679
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
NK@Hyd welcome to the world of driving!

By the way, I am very sure your next thread will be titled something like this "Cranked my engine when the car was already started. Is my engine damaged?"

Regards,
nothing to worry about NK almost all of has done this mistake in the begining.

that was one funny reply
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 00:28   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
NK@Hyd welcome to the world of driving!

By the way, I am very sure your next thread will be titled something like this "Cranked my engine when the car was already started. Is my engine damaged?"

Regards,
Spooky! That has already happened to me. Errrm...does it damage the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
nothing for worry about..we all learn from our mistakes. I am sure you will check on your hand brake from now on and will know what the problem is if you feel resistance..
Thanks KSM. I hopefully will not repeat this mistake. There's always scope to commit new ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
nothing to worry about NK almost all of has done this mistake in the begining.
Phew...I finally feel part of a group :-D

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th February 2009 at 01:36. Reason: 2 smileys max per post. Thanks.
NK@Hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 00:44   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 487
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Okay, first laugh all you can

So, I took out my almost 2 month old Hyundai i10 today and forgot to push down the handbrake. I could feel some resistance but thought since I am a new driver, its just me. When I finally realized my folly, I had already driven for almost 5 kms.

Should I anticipate any damage to tyres, brakes etc? I checked with a mechanic and he casually said that if I am able to apply brakes, there's no harm done.
hmmmmmm....you drove for 5kms with the handbrake on........hmmmmm......that means only one thing......you didn't have to brake to slow down, all you must've had to do is release the gas pedal & the car would AUTO BRAKE
Only kidding bro.....happens to a lot of us, even I've done it, but not for 5 kms at a stretch . You would eventually get used to the subconcious checks everyone performs before starting from a standstill.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 00:46   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
amit V8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: kolkata
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 189 Times
Default

NK, i also made the same mistake some years back. i stepped hard on the gas pedal while reversing but my hand brake was fully on. you can guess the situation. don't worry, things like this happen, but be careful from now on.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 00:48   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
ramie2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,900
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

Relax..its good you realised after 5kms and not after 50kms so nothing to worry about,make sure next time you see the instrument cluster for indications before driving
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 00:54   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
m4ugr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,291
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

It Happens with me sometimes as well, Good thing there is a Alarm in the Civic and City which keep beeping if you move the car with the Hand-Brake On along with the warning light on the instrument cluster. A useful thing
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 01:00   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
revtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,988
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

as every ones already mentioned, its happened to a lot of people...and we jus learn from our own mistakes..and no serious damage jus slightly reduced the life of your brake pads..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Spooky! That has already happened to me. Errrm...does it damage the engine?
no engine damage but it doesn spoil the starter..


rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 01:00   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

In skoda there is a long beeping sound if something like that happens.

Still, it wont harm your engine. Just a small decrement in life of your rear brakes and tyres.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 01:23   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 60
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

@NK@Hyd
Though you posted in Deb but your post reminds me days when I started driving..
I know that feeling when we realise what has happened!
cowboy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 01:23   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default Engage and disengage the hand brake fully

Hi NK,

If you were able to drive 5 Km with only "some resistance", it also means you had not pulled the handbrake lever up fully (another common mistake all of us make).

If you pull the lever up fully, your attempts to move the car will be met with more than "some resistance", a handbrake is effective only if it is fully engaged.

If fully engaged it will also remind you to disengage when you try to drive off!

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 01:31   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
NK@Hyd welcome to the world of driving!

No laughing matter dude. This has happened to most of us.
Apart from reducing the life of your tires/brake pads by a few 100 kms, no other damage.

By the way, I am very sure your next thread will be titled something like this "Cranked my engine when the car was already started. Is my engine damaged?"

Regards,
Dudes, tyres will not be affected due to this. The brake pads that are engaged (not all four pads... but may vary depending on the car) will of course take a big beating.

Engine life will suffer to some extent.

Definitely not something not to worrry about... in the sense, try whatever way you can to not forget to disengage the parking brakes in future. For me it has become an infalliable habit to check the parking brake before taking off.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 01:32   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
revtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,988
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Hi NK,

If you were able to drive 5 Km with only "some resistance", it also means you had not pulled the handbrake lever up fully (another common mistake all of us make).

If you pull the lever up fully, your attempts to move the car will be met with more than "some resistance", a handbrake is effective only if it is fully engaged.

If fully engaged it will also remind you to disengage when you try to drive off!

Cheers,
very true

i think thats something all of us should keep in mind as well.
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car towed away by traffic cop with the handbrake engaged!! Chewbacca Technical Stuff 20 17th July 2014 18:02
Drove a Formula car, Clio Cup car & more @ Sepang! Michelin Pilot Experience 2013 Rehaan Int'l Motorsport 16 25th September 2013 16:36
Accidently put water in Brake Fluid - Punto Diesel punto_ Technical Stuff 21 26th August 2011 10:33
Doing a handbrake turn to avoid an accident in an ABS vehicle? gopinathann Street Experiences 9 7th April 2008 01:30
Bill of materials for a handbrake assembly? ag501 Technical Stuff 0 29th November 2007 22:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks